Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
We have it on our 19 Sahara and love it! Didn’t even know we wanted it until we test drove one with it.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I used to have a hard top JK and a soft top JL and thought the SOT was just an overpriced gimmick.

Now that I have one on my current JL, it's the best of both worlds. Looks much nicer than the standard hard top, and feels like a soft top when opened. Plus the rear side windows pop out. Only downside is there aren't any overhead grab handles that will work with the SOT.

Overall, I highly recommend it!

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I live in PA and have had zero issues with the SOT. It’s not a feature I was originally wanting but after owning it I wouldn’t order a Jeep without one.

Consider how volatile the weather is in the North East. When you can hit all four seasons in a day having the ability to go topless (mostly) when it’s nice and then simply hitting a switch to close every thing up when it goes to crap an hour later is priceless.

My only caveat is I only hand wash my Jeep which isn’t much fun in the winter. If you are looking to take yours through a car wash, it’s not recommended for the SOT.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Hi All - been lurking the forums for ages finally decided to just sign up.

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

Any and all information - horrible and great - will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :)
Mine has been awesome. I can't stand the hard top as it's just too much of a PITA to remove and store for most. IMO, looks better with the rear quarters removed than vs removing entire hard top as well, but I might be in the minority there.

Overall outweighs any downside unless you plan on putting in a cage at some point -- but even then, I suppose it could still work with the right cage design.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have a hard top JK and a soft top JL and thought the SOT was just an overpriced gimmick.

Now that I have one on my current JL, it's the best of both worlds. Looks much nicer than the standard hard top, and feels like a soft top when opened. Plus the rear side windows pop out. Only downside is there aren't any overhead grab handles that will work with the SOT.

Overall, I highly recommend it!
FYI, the JK Mopar grab handles work great with the SOT.

Mopar Grab Handles.jpg

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I have owned by JLUR with SOT for two winters now. Foot of snow on top, check. Freezing Rain, check. Below zero on the highway, check. Zero issues to date.

I use it from 40* on up. Pop the top, crank the heater and the seats and enjoy the ride.

As for looks, it reminds me of the old MB's with their canvas tops.

And if it ever gets to a point in the future where parts are not available, pull it off and put a soft top on it. It simply bolts on, no big deal to change it.

Pete

Sponsored

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe

SERVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 & 2022 Wrangler 4xe on order
I also debated getting the SOT when I placed my order. After thinking, these were the three reasons I didn't go with it. 1.) I personally think it looks goofy with the doors off and rear windows out. 2.) I couldn't justify the cost, when removing the two front pieces is pretty easy/painless if I want that sunroof feel. And 3.) I felt like the fuel economy would suffer with it all open since the back window is still in place (like someone already mentioned it being like a parachute)

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Hi All - been lurking the forums for ages finally decided to just sign up.

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

Any and all information - horrible and great - will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :)
I've had one for over a year & I love it. It's either fully open or shut. Not sure about 8 years from now, but a reg soft top is going to need replaced too. Go for it.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
I owned a JK with a soft top, a JKU with dual tops, and currently have a 4XE with dual tops. I have a JLU rubicon on order with the SOT. I have seen only one complaint, and that had to do with a guy getting his rig muddy, and the mud/gravel getting into the SOT channels.

For me, I wanted to enjoy more open air than on my prior Jeeps - and the SOT really helps there. People can claim all day long that it is just as easy to open a sunrider - but that is a straight up lie. The SOT is a one button, top open, amazing product. Yeah- it looks a little goofy. But for me, the value of a Jeep is the wind in my hair and sun shining in. And like Pete above - if it lasts me 5-8 years, and then fails - I’ll just get a soft top. At least that will be 5-8 years of more sun.

One last thing I considered - my wife. She is 5’2”. Closing a soft top is very difficult for her. With this, she can drive the Jeep, and open or close the top at will.
Sponsored