Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Get a hardtop and Sunrider for Hardtop.

Then you’ve got a regular hardtop for your winters, but the ability to open up the Jeep in 10 seconds for spring and summer. Best of all worlds, with very little to break or go wrong.
Note that the SOT is only $555 more than that combo since he wanted the body-color hard top.

And yes, we waffled between those two options. Dealing with Freedom Panels is a pain in the ass, especially when trying to find a place to stash them.
Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Security!!! Especially, If you live in the city !!! Get the hard top!!!

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Security!!! Especially, If you live in the city !!! Get the hard top!!!
Everyone keeps saying security, but I’m fairly sure that if two Jeeps were sitting side by side, one with a hard top and one with the SOT the thief would just break both Jeeps windows and move on.

The likelihood of him trying to stand on top of the SOT Jeep while he struggles to cut through the thick panels and then having him dive through the top in-between the support bars seems laughable vs just taking a hammer to the window and grabbing what he wants.

If someone is about to disregard your rights and break into your Jeep I’m fairly certain they don’t want to showcase it by standing on top of a vehicle advertising to the world what they are about to do.

Also, has a single owner of the SOT on this forum ever reported a break in where the fabric panel was cut? I haven’t seen one. I have seen plenty of posts where hard top owners reported smashed windows. So unless there is some evidence that I haven’t seen I’m fairly sure the security arguments are bupkis.

https://thealphagroup.us/news-media/a-deep-dive-into-car-break-ins-and-what-you-can-do-to-p

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Hi All - been lurking the forums for ages finally decided to just sign up.

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

Any and all information - horrible and great - will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :)
I had it on my 2021, and then when I sold it to get a 2022, I decided not to get the power top, and instead get the hard top. Here is why:

1) I offroad on dunes. The sand would get into the tracks and jam it up
2) Windows up, windows down, the air flow was never quite right, smooth etc. There was always choppy buffeting wind, so I did not use it that much unless I was cruising slow or parked.
3) It was same noise as the soft top (which I expected) - ie - noisier than hard top especially on the highway
4) It is not designed to ever be fully removed. I thought I would not care, but in the end, I did miss the full open top feel, especially with the above compromises.

On the plus side, the quarter windows being removable was neat (although I think I only did it once for the novelty factor). Plus compared to a soft top, the opening rear glass was a nice to have.

In the end, even putting the cost aside, I would rather have the traditional hard top.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
When I ordered my Jeep (with the soft top) I was curious about the one touch and asked the sales guy about them. He said the owner of the dealership doesn't sell Jeeps with the One Touch (I could order with it if I wanted, they just didn't get those for their lot). He said that when those first came out, they had a lot of unhappy customers because of the problems with them, including leaks. He did admit, that there likely have been improvements since (presumably). But they still weren't going to carry any Jeeps with the One Touch until they were quite certain all of the kinks had been worked out. That was a year and a half ago.

Even if I was seriously considering the One Touch, I couldn't get it on a Hella Yella Sport anyway, which was what I was ordering.

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
For me it was really hard to decide between half doors + soft top VS half doors + SOT. I love both.

Half doors + SOT (not mine):

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 6E5D9C34-4530-476A-B4DC-E4EAA90C1F9A
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. BCCC313C-695E-47E6-A151-452BF196B9D9
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. A118B70D-DE31-470C-B58F-C605C79F0E53

Half doors + soft top (mine):

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 475E3B05-F6AC-4AAD-AC59-59FD0890D4EF
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 5846A37F-24BA-479E-A745-56EF2CA33F47
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. F4D6C6A3-14A3-4F7D-84B1-3E657DC0ABDA
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 9C94E7BB-4A72-4DF1-8B6C-5B9E165607A2

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 0D3E9B54-1DBB-4F98-842A-95D2133ADE9E

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. C184A60C-5337-4C60-88FF-B61BAD7702B8

7A008AEF-D751-4BD6-A039-293741F29788.jpeg

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For me it was really hard to decide between half doors + soft top VS half doors + SOT. I love both.

Half doors + SOT (not mine):

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 7A008AEF-D751-4BD6-A039-293741F29788
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 7A008AEF-D751-4BD6-A039-293741F29788

Half doors + soft top (mine):

That top picture of the sarge green with half doors and SOT looks awesome. Makes me regret not getting the half doors. 😖

madm73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys, 21 HD Pan America
When you option your Jeep check the Sound and Sun package if it is still available. Comes with a bunch of goodies. Then option another Jeep with the hardtop. We went with a Willys with the Sound and Sun package. Great deal, and the SOT is the best option a jeeper who wants the top off could ever option. Hardtops stay on. Count the Jeeps you see with tops on vs off. SOT makes it easy. Good luck and enjoy what ever you choose.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

i recommend test driving both. I personally prefer the standard hard top. My wife has the SOT and while it is really convenient, to me it doesn’t provide the same open top experience. I just fell more out in the open with the hard top removed. The Sot has wider sills on the side and the catch mechanism blocking the driver side.

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
It’s all been said already but it was a tough choice for me as well. I went with the painted hard top because the SOT is a pain in the ass to fully take off and who wants a full shell including the rear window still on when you go topless? Not me! Hard top can stay off the vast majority of the year down here in Florida and have a rain guard in the rear storage compartment in the event I ever get caught out.

Sponsored

Tejas

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JULRD
After getting it on my current wrangler i'll never have a jeep without. It's the best option i chose, beside the 3.0 diesel.

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase

I use SOT in Ohio winters .. Just turn up the heat to max and enjoy the blue skies even in 20s and 30s. I had it since 2019 - not a single issue, no leaks and I also go through car was every couple of weeks.

High speeds with open is noisy. nothing breaking etc..

SOT is the only reason i did not even consider Bronco when buying my second JL.

TLDR: SOT is stupid fun

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So, I sound like an old man when I say all this, but I can't stand the one touch. When it rains it very loud and it sounds like you're in a tent. The main thing for me is I can stand the way they look when everything is removed. You still have the back glass in, and I think it looks stupid. Of course I'm the old guy that says a sports car needs a manual transmission as well. Strictly my opinion. I honestly hate the one touch, and the looks of it.

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
The overwhelming (all but one, I believe) negative replies are from folks who don’t have the SOT. I personally love it. Every top option has pluses and minuses, but the ability to open and close the top whenever I want, in just a few seconds, is priceless. I’m willing to bet there are lots of hardtop users who want to remove their top in nice weather, but pass, due to the storage/hassle. Like many have said, if I experience problems after the warranty is up, it can be removed to install another top option.

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
The overwhelming (all but one, I believe) negative replies are from folks who don’t have the SOT. I personally love it. Every top option has pluses and minuses, but the ability to open and close the top whenever I want, in just a few seconds, is priceless. I’m willing to bet there are lots of hardtop users who want to remove their top in nice weather, but pass, due to the storage/hassle. Like many have said, if I experience problems after the warranty is up, it can be removed to install another top option.
I think generally you aren’t going to buy it unless you like the features/can live with the negatives. As such you would expect those that bought it to have an overwhelmingly positive response to it and those that didn’t to lean the other way. OP seems to want people to talk him out of it…. Which is exactly the feedback those that considered purchasing it but didn’t in the end can give as well.
Sponsored