Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well let's see-ummm don't do it-unless you're getting a sahara with the lovely ride for the road-However if you're going to actually do the off-road thing in a Sport or Rubicon use the 4000 plus dollars and get the upgrades for the lift and bigger tires, I personally don't like the parachute look when it's fully opened and the back windows out-prefer to have the full top off, and doors off. There I said it. lol Keep the Jeep wave going.
It didn't seem to be an either/or question. It took a while for my wife to convince me that we should get it, but if you look at the cost over the colored roof and fenders then you quickly realize that it's not that significant.

If someone's budget doesn't allow for it then don't get it. Everyone has different budgets and plans for their Jeep.
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
i don't think it looks esthetically appealing when going topless (due to the frame) as you do without the hardtop (which is my preference) or with the soft top folded down.

1652729656961.png

1652729868469.png
What he said x2

One of the greatest Jeep features is the feel of driving topless. It’s a joy — it even steers better in the wind. Everything about it is better than any kind of sunroof effect and, with a hoist or a dolly, removal of the hard top is a snap!

C7FC86E3-FA8F-4127-9E9E-9E0CDCE08F3B.jpeg

15A12342-0E87-4676-8EE2-48E99DF467AC.jpeg

152DF438-C75C-49A2-A1BD-7A83C34E2A8B.jpeg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have a JLU rubicon on order with the SOT.

One last thing I considered - my wife. She is 5’2”. Closing a soft top is very difficult for her.
Yep. When the soft top on my JLU is in the Sunrider position, I'm easily able to flip it forward and closed...but being 6'4" makes it easy. I do sometimes wonder how other folks manage. Perhaps that need explains the popularity of side steps, and occasionally, the SOT option.

I've had my SOT for 11 months and love it.

Good -
-More frequent top-down driving: Opening SOT is is first thing i do not raining and above 55 degrees. I basically drive topless 100x more than I did when I had the hardtop.
The SOT is a sunroof. ;) As much as my wife enjoys the sunroof on her vehicle, there's no illusion of "top down" driving. This is the real thing.

I looked at those but just the thought of only little screw holding those and being really pulled on hard made me back off.
Agreed. I understand the intent of the seller's approach here, but there's a reason that every other grab handle being sold uses the roll bar as an appropriate anchor for the force being placed on them. I wouldn't trust those trim screws to hold anything heaver than a jacket on a garment hook.

Does anyone know the current total number of units produced with the Sky One Touch option?
Of all the JLUs I've seen in the wild since 2018, to date I've only observed one with the SOT option. Giving/receiving waves means I'm looking at every one of them, too. Perhaps this statistic is instructive.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I don't like the SOT. Always hated the way it looked and that you can't take the full roof off. I wanted a Wrangler/JT for the full roof off freedom, along with doors. you can't even take the back off with this so you get a nice drag chute. It also comes with the penalty of being loud but not being able to take it off like a soft top lol.

I had a loaner from my local dealer that had this on it. While it was neat enough to be able to open it up it was just a gimmick. It felt wrong and different from a full top off experience. It can be convenient and ultimately it's your money, but I'd spend it better somewhere else and get either the hard or soft top.

Also, I'm just waiting to see how often these fail and how much it is to fix them when they do.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Also, I'm just waiting to see how often these fail and how much it is to fix them when they do.
They've been available for a few years, but I haven't seen people talking about significant failures. How long are you planning on waiting to see how often they fall, or is this long enough?

Sponsored

Enfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Willys
Only reason I'd really look at one is if you live in an area where auto break ins are common and want the piece of mind over a soft top if you have to street park overnight.

Otherwise it is a really expensive option, and unless money is no object I think you'll be better off getting a soft top if you really want to do a lot of top down driving.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They've been available for a few years, but I haven't seen people talking about significant failures. How long are you planning on waiting to see how often they fall, or is this long enough?
No, this is not long enough. I'm not saying it'll happen soon or even happen a lot, but I'd like to see the data honestly. It's the same reason I'd prefer a manual convertible top to an automatic, shit happens to electronics after a time. I also say that as a person who's not in the market for 1 and doesn't like them anyways, it just doesn't appeal to me. Nice that people have the option, but it's 1 I'll be skipping.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

No, this is not long enough. I'm not saying it'll happen soon or even happen a lot, but I'd like to see the data honestly. It's the same reason I'd prefer a manual convertible top to an automatic, shit happens to electronics after a time. I also say that as a person who's not in the market for 1 and doesn't like them anyways, it just doesn't appeal to me. Nice that people have the option, but it's 1 I'll be skipping.
Where would you expect to find lots of anecdotal evidence? Maybe on a site like jlwranglerforums.com? Or possibly YouTube?

The SOT has been out for a few years and the only issues I've seen are for things like squeaks. The vast majority of discussions are about how much people love them. But, of course, those people bought them over the alternatives for a reason.

If there were significant issues then I would expect to see a flood of complaints HERE similar to what we see for the various Bronco tops. The only people that gripe about them seem to be the people that prefer the alternatives.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where would you expect to find lots of anecdotal evidence? Maybe on a site like jlwranglerforums.com? Or possibly YouTube?

The SOT has been out for a few years and the only issues I've seen are for things like squeaks. The vast majority of discussions are about how much people love them. But, of course, those people bought them over the alternatives for a reason.

If there were significant issues then I would expect to see a flood of complaints HERE similar to what we see for the various Bronco tops. The only people that gripe about them seem to be the people that prefer the alternatives.
I said I don't necessarily expect to see much. Just wanted to know.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Best option you can get from the factory. We love ours especially with the Hotheads Sun Shade installed. There are limitations as far as accessories go. Question for the group. Does anyone know the current total number of units produced with the Sky One Touch option? I am seeing more and more of them in our area. A Quadratec rep tried to tell me last week that very few had reay been sold and that is why they were not interested in seeking options for them.
Very few had been sold? That's likely simply ignorance on @Quadratec's part.

18 percent of domestic 2022 build sheets have a Sky One-Touch Power Top. That's 15,888 potential domestic and 2,993 international customers (so far) that they're ignoring. That's just 2022 builds since I don't have stats on previous years.

Sponsored

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
For those who don't have SOTs and have never actually experienced a problem with them but seem to find enjoyment vigorously crapping on it, does this taste familiar?

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 1654020671806

I find a lot of the comments thoughtful, regardless of whether owner has SOT, but a lot just sound like "get off my lawn."

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
The SOT has its curve going on the top and I just like the looks better instead of the flat look. Seems more finished. Others will disagree. We don't have to like the same things. But I think I am going to add it to my 392 XR build. And not just for looks, but also for the button to the sky feature in under 30 seconds :)

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
The SOT has its curve going on the top and I just like the looks better instead of the flat look. Seems more finished. Others will disagree. We don't have to like the same things. But I think I am going to add it to my 392 XR build. And not just for looks, but also for the button to the sky feature in under 30 seconds :)
I added it to my 392XR order. No brainer for ~$2K.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I added it to my 392XR order. No brainer for ~$2K.
I thought it was more than 2k to be honest. I will be calling my dealer Monday to get it added to the order. I am in confirmed status, so I think it can still be done.