Sponsored

somebody brought up TFL recently- I watched their recent comparison vids going up red cone

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
They were comparing Bronco Sasquatch with Jeep Rubicon 4xe and Land Rover Defender. The poor LR on its "street" tires didn't make it very far, but the real comparison was always Jeep vs. Bronco. The Bronco did well enough on its larger tires although their videos of one undulating section appeared that the Jeep articulated better. They all scraped on one big boulder and the Jeep seemed to have an easier time on most of the trail because it was narrower.

I wanted to see them come down the back side of Red cone but they didn't show that, they probably didn't do it.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watch the one they just posted today recovering the LR..the Willys sport clears that same challenging obstacle with relative ease
Yes I should have mentioned that one too. The Willys Sport is 2-door. I understand that some obstacles work better with short wheelbase, some work better with long wheelbase. The Willys, despite having better than street tires, will still have less tire and less ground clearance than the Rubicon.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
They were comparing Bronco Sasquatch with Jeep Rubicon 4xe and Land Rover Defender. The poor LR on its "street" tires didn't make it very far, but the real comparison was always Jeep vs. Bronco. The Bronco did well enough on its larger tires although their videos of one undulating section appeared that the Jeep articulated better. They all scraped on one big boulder and the Jeep seemed to have an easier time on most of the trail because it was narrower.

I wanted to see them come down the back side of Red cone but they didn't show that, they probably didn't do it.

Tommy's reaction to the second tire was priceless. :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tommy's reaction to the second tire was priceless. :LOL:
He did it to himself- he admitted that he "bumped it" a little bit. Knowing the limitations of the vehicle he should have backed up and stacked some rocks.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
He did it to himself- he admitted that he "bumped it" a little bit. Knowing the limitations of the vehicle he should have backed up and stacked some rocks.

I know, what's that about expecting different results? Just his lil' temper tantrum was funny as hell. :LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They had been stacking rocks up to that point, mostly for the Land Rover's benefit.

You can spend the entire day stacking enough rocks to build a Roman aqueduct without getting anywhere. At some point we all get tired of stacking rocks, say "F*** it" and just go!

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can spend the entire day stacking enough rocks to build a Roman aqueduct without getting anywhere. At some point we all get tired of stacking rocks, say "F*** it" and just go!
I would be too impatient to stack rocks unless absolutely essential.
Years ago my daughter and I took my wife's WJ into the canyon beneath Gemini Bridges. On the way down we went over a ledge and high-centered on the factory skid plate under the transfer case. As soon as I hit I went to reverse and tried to back up but it wouldn't. So I went back to drive and got it moving forward. As we dropped off the ledge the tow hook under the rear bumper put a scratch in the rock. When we left we stacked up a few rocks at the low side of the ledge and just drove right up it.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
The poor LR on its "street" tires didn't make it very far,
Those are actually the tires that come on the 'off road' package. The problem is - with the V6 - you cannot get smaller than 19" wheels because of the brake calipers. These were 20", which leaves no choice except ridiculously low profile sidewalls. They popped the first bead on an aired down tire. When they put the spare on, they pumped the tires back up...and still popped the bead.
They test 'as is' from the factory. LR should know better than to make that wheel/tire combo their 'off road' package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are actually the tires that come on the 'off road' package. The problem is - with the V6 - you cannot get smaller than 19" wheels because of the brake calipers. These were 20", which leaves no choice except ridiculously low profile sidewalls. They popped the first bead on an aired down tire. When they put the spare on, they pumped the tires back up...and still popped the bead.
They test 'as is' from the factory. LR should know better than to make that wheel/tire combo their 'off road' package.
I was guessing brake calipers was the problem.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
On today’s video where they recover the Defender, Tommy goes off at Land Rover for putting such useless tires on an “off-road” vehicle.

But since the Land Rover dealership had lent them the two recovery wheels and tires, he had to tone down his mumbling.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On today’s video where they recover the Defender, Tommy goes off at Land Rover for putting such useless tires on an “off-road” vehicle.

But since the Land Rover dealership had lent them the two recovery wheels and tires, he had to tone down his mumbling.
I thought he went a bit too far myself. I'm far from a LR fan but it would be diplomatic to not bash the person who is helping you.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I thought he went a bit too far myself. I'm far from a LR fan but it would be diplomatic to not bash the person who is helping you.
No need to say anything about it…it’s self explanatory. Another point…destroying two tires and trashing two RR wheels would be incredibly expensive….

TFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport S

We did go down the “cone”, just ran out of time to film it. Honestly the most over rated part of the trail imho, no drama to speak of. You’d have to be a lunatic to go down back down the front side on a weekend with about 800,000 side by sides trying to come up.
Sponsored