Sponsored

somebody brought up TFL recently- I watched their recent comparison vids going up red cone

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
We did go down the “cone”, just ran out of time to film it. Honestly the most over rated part of the trail imho, no drama to speak of. You’d have to be a lunatic to go down back down the front side on a weekend with about 800,000 side by sides trying to come up.
The last time I did Red Cone was on an ATV and the trail was clearly marked ONE WAY if you're going up Red Cone. I seem to recall that trail is pretty wretched, not sure I'd want to tear up my stock Jeep on that one.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i enjoyed that video. the LR is a joke with those tires. im sure execs would say "our customers dont off road like this. they take their LRs on dirt roads or sandy beaches on their way to their vacation homes."

and then they'd finish their statement off with something like 'nice jeep though, peasant"

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

definitely tuned in for part 3, with the modified LR and Wrangler. obviously the wrangler is going to walk all over that trail like an AT-AT. the final teaser clip showing the modified LR about to tip over 😱 that would be the icing on the LRs cake lol.

the Broncos only advantage over the wrangler seemed to be the 35s. i would have loved for them to bring all three out, bone stock (if possible for LR) on the same MT 35s. then see how they do. pretty sure that stock Rubicon 4xe, on 35s, would walk all over that Bronco.

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The last time I did Red Cone was on an ATV and the trail was clearly marked ONE WAY if you're going up Red Cone. I seem to recall that trail is pretty wretched, not sure I'd want to tear up my stock Jeep on that one.
Stock Rubicon, not a problem.:)

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I thought he went a bit too far myself. I'm far from a LR fan but it would be diplomatic to not bash the person who is helping you.
Person/people helping them was the LR dealership, and they aren’t responsible for the wheel/tire choices on the Defender.
The people they were bashing was LR corporate, who is responsible for the tire choices, and not the people helping them.

They did go out of their way a couple times to thank the dealership.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I have to seriously question them airing down those 20s. When you don't have much sidewall to begin with, airing down will give you less advantage than normal, and will make it much easier to blow the bead off, as they demonstrated. They would have been better off leaving the tires at nearly normal street pressure. May not have gotten much farther, but it would have been less headaches.

I believe that the 4xe could have made it through that obstacle without smacking the wheel into the rock, but it would have required a little more finesse.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
definitely tuned in for part 3, with the modified LR and Wrangler. obviously the wrangler is going to walk all over that trail like an AT-AT. the final teaser clip showing the modified LR about to tip over 😱 that would be the icing on the LRs cake lol.

the Broncos only advantage over the wrangler seemed to be the 35s. i would have loved for them to bring all three out, bone stock (if possible for LR) on the same MT 35s. then see how they do. pretty sure that stock Rubicon 4xe, on 35s, would walk all over that Bronco.
Yes, me too.

I just wish they had picked a stock Wrangler with 35s, though. That Wrangler on the preview has a lift, chopped fenders, aftermarket bumpers, etc. That’s going to give Ford apologists ammunition when Wrangler tramples all over their beloved Bronco.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have to seriously question them airing down those 20s. When you don't have much sidewall to begin with, airing down will give you less advantage than normal, and will make it much easier to blow the bead off, as they demonstrated. They would have been better off leaving the tires at nearly normal street pressure. May not have gotten much farther, but it would have been less headaches.

I believe that the 4xe could have made it through that obstacle without smacking the wheel into the rock, but it would have required a little more finesse.
If they had aired down the Jeep and the Bronco but not the LR, many would have complained that TFL was being unfair when Defender slipped and struggled all over that trail.

BTW, they did air up on that 2nd tire but it didn’t make any difference. 20-inch wheels is simply not a proper off-road setup.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes, me too.

I just wish they had picked a stock Wrangler with 35s, though. That Wrangler on the preview has a lift, chopped fenders, aftermarket bumpers, etc. That’s going to give Ford apologists ammunition when Wrangler tramples all over their beloved Bronco.
At the moment, there aren't stock wranglers with 35s. I get that in the future, that would be a great comparison since the tires will play a large role but then you need to outfit the LR with 17" rims as well. Stock vs stock vs stock is the easiest way to go for now.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
At the moment, there aren't stock wranglers with 35s. I get that in the future, that would be a great comparison since the tires will play a large role but then you need to outfit the LR with 17" rims as well. Stock vs stock vs stock is the easiest way to go for now.
My point was: Jeep claims Rubicon can accept 35s without a lift. They should have gone with that instead of using a JL that looks like the Mars rover.

The moment that Rubicon tramples all over that Bronco, Ford fans are going to cry foul about the lift, the chopped fenders, the stubby bumper, and God knows what else.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My point was: Jeep claims Rubicon can accept 35s without a lift. They should have gone with that instead of using a JL that looks like the Mars rover.

The moment that Rubicon tramples all over that Bronco, Ford fans are going to cry foul about the lift, the chopped fenders, the stubby bumper, and God knows what else.
I hear you but where does the modifying stop? Some guy put 37's on the bronco without issue. Should they do that too? Both vehicles having options of bolt of mods, makes it kind of never ending on what you can do. Stock vs stock is the fairest and easiest is all I am saying.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you but where does the modifying stop? Some guy put 37's on the bronco without issue. Should they do that too? Both vehicles having options of bolt of mods, makes it kind of never ending on what you can do. Stock vs stock is the fairest and easiest is all I am saying.
Perhaps there should be a monetary limit on "mods"...?

You can put 35s on a Rubicon for $1,500. That Land Rover owner admits* to having spent $14,000 on that Defender. Is that even comparable?

$1,500 on a Land Rover won't even get the shop to open the gate... 😫

* Personally I don't buy it: retrofitting brakes from another Land Rover to be able to fit 18-inch wheels, has to be several thousand dollars by itself. Never mind two lifts, rerouting the exhaust, new wheels and tires, trimming the bodywork, the liners, etc.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Perhaps there should be a monetary limit on "mods"...?

You can put 35s on a Rubicon for $1,500. That Land Rover owner admits* to having spent $14,000 on that Defender. Is that even comparable?

$1,500 on a Land Rover won't even get the shop to open the gate... 😫

* Personally I don't buy it: retrofitting brakes from another Land Rover to be able to fit 18-inch wheels, has to be several thousand dollars by itself. Never mind two lifts, rerouting the exhaust, new wheels and tires, trimming the bodywork, the liners, etc.
Hahaha true. The LR doesn’t really seem comparable. The bronco and Jeep differ in a few key ways but there is a lot of overlap. LR is a totally different thing.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
If they had aired down the Jeep and the Bronco but not the LR, many would have complained that TFL was being unfair when Defender slipped and struggled all over that trail.

BTW, they did air up on that 2nd tire but it didn’t make any difference. 20-inch wheels is simply not a proper off-road setup.
I'll have to watch it again, I thought that they aired down the spare as well.
Sponsored