DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've been speaking to a friend I met on Bitog who was on the original Pentastar design team. I asked him last night if he was familiar with the epidemic of dealerships overfilling the new Pentastar Upgrade (the latest Pentastar that is in our JL's), noting that the gen 1 Pentastar takes 6 quarts and the PUG takes 5, and that most techs don't know about the capacity change.

If you've had this happen, you will be relieved to read his response:

" ...yes. that is why I change my own oil (and use the oil udder lol) too. The thing they get away with is all Chrysler vehicles can meet ALL...and I mean ALL tests with +/- 1qt in the sump. "

He went on to say that you still could potentially have a problem "under certain conditions" if the crank shaft contacts oil due to overfilling and foams it. What he means is at extreme angles. Even then, he said, it probably won't do damage and "will pass" but he still wouldn't risk it.

He did say that the Gen 1 Pentastar service manual was updated to account for the slow drain of oil from the engine during changes. He thinks it was revised to slighly less than 6 quarts, to account for not all of it getting out in the short drain time allowed for dealer service.

Btw, his reference in the quote is to the Oil Udder product, which is a company he co-owns that sells a device to make easier and help avoid messes when changing traditional spin-on oil filters.

So now we know the safety margin that FCA builds into their engine oil capacity. +/- 1 quart. So don't fret when you see it is overfilled. Personally, I'd drain it off to get it right or at least close, but for the many, many out there that are getting overfilled by their dealerships and don't know it, they should be ok. If you are off-roading, then by all means, drain it down to the proper specification.

@CarbonSteel @Rhinebeck01
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I've been speaking to a friend I met on Bitog who was on the original Pentastar design team. I asked him last night if he was familiar with the epidemic of dealerships overfilling the new Pentastar Upgrade (the latest Pentastar that is in our JL's), noting that the gen 1 Pentastar takes 6 quarts and the PUG takes 5, and that most techs don't know about the capacity change.

If you've had this happen, you will be relieved to read his response:

" ...yes. that is why I change my own oil (and use the oil udder lol) too. The thing they get away with is all Chrysler vehicles can meet ALL...and I mean ALL tests with +/- 1qt in the sump. "

He went on to say that you still could potentially have a problem "under certain conditions" if the crank shaft contacts oil due to overfilling and foams it. What he means is at extreme angles. Even then, he said, it probably won't do damage and "will pass" but he still wouldn't risk it.

He did say that the Gen 1 Pentastar service manual was updated to account for the slow drain of oil from the engine during changes. He thinks it was revised to slighly less than 6 quarts, to account for not all of it getting out in the short drain time allowed for dealer service.

Btw, his reference in the quote is to the Oil Udder product, which is a company he co-owns that sells a device to make easier and help avoid messes when changing traditional spin-on oil filters.

So now we know the safety margin that FCA builds into their engine oil capacity. +/- 1 quart. So don't fret when you see it is overfilled. Personally, I'd drain it off to get it right or at least close, but for the many, many out there that are getting overfilled by their dealerships and don't know it, they should be ok. If you are off-roading, then by all means, drain it down to the proper specification.

@CarbonSteel @Rhinebeck01
Interesting! I have to admit due to some of my other vehicles taking 6 quarts, it's all I can do not to go ahead and pour the six one into that Pentastar.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Hey Dan, thank you for posting these insights you have with your Pentastar engineer source. I enjoy reading these informative posts with your Q&A sessions with him. You should have your own sticky for these. Keep them coming!

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Great info.

I've got a friend that works in Durability for an auto maker, and you'd be surprised what these modern engines can take.

Especially in regards to ESS that comes up so often and a bunch of boomers screaming about start wear. I was having a conversation with him today about the 4xe and how it will fire up the cold 2.0L if necessary when WOT. He said
I'm sure it's durability tested to do that. [Automaker] durability testing for hybrid motors includes going from minus 30° C to wide open throttle full load for 45 seconds then turning off

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dan, thank you for posting these insights you have with your Pentastar engineer source. I enjoy reading these informative posts with your Q&A sessions with him. You should have your own sticky for these. Keep them coming!
Thanks! He's really a great guy. i'll keep asking him things as good questions come up! We're fortunate to have him as a resource!
Sponsored