Sponsored

Some non Jeepers seriously think they are invincible in a Snow Storm when in 4WD or AWD

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I bet douchebag will go buy a Wrangler tomorrow and still be an idiot.
He will be one of those idiot owners who will buy a JL and then complain about reliability because its transfer case keeps on breaking as the 4LO cannot handle highway speeds lmao

Yepp folks these people do exist. It was comical watching him pretend to know what a tow rope is until I took it away from him as I feared he may end up damaging his Audi more than his pride.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It’s the driver, not the car. My other car is a 2006 Audi A4 wagon and I will take that with snow tires over the jeep on snowy roads any day. Sure, the jeep will get through the deep stuff the Audi doesn’t have clearance for but if we are talking traction, a low center of gravity, snow tires and awd will hold the road better than my wrangler 35” KO2’s any day of the week. I am also on Long Island and was out early yesterday In my wrangler. Kudos to you for helping pull the Audi out after that. Although I’m typically inclined to help in that situation I may have smiled and waved as I drove past.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
While the streets were better at this point in time yesterday your post reminds me of this douche in a Subaru.

Sponsored

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It’s the driver, not the car. My other car is a 2006 Audi A4 wagon and I will take that with snow tires over the jeep on snowy roads any day. Sure, the jeep will get through the deep stuff the Audi doesn’t have clearance for but if we are talking traction, a low center of gravity, snow tires and awd will hold the road better than my wrangler 35” KO2’s any day of the week. I am also on Long Island and was out early yesterday In my wrangler. Kudos to you for helping pull the Audi out after that. Although I’m typically inclined to help in that situation I may have smiled and waved as I drove past.
This!

It's understanding your vehicles' limits and your limits. It is something that you only acquire with experience and only if you care about being a great driver. But I have to admit that while in Europe, I did a LOT of stupid things when younger (on dirt roads mainly with both 2WD and 4WD cars). This is how you learn to 'feel your vehicle'. To understand one fraction of a second before you lose traction and use it to your advantage....

I also have a Yukon Denali and know how much it takes to stop it in the snow.....that is physics. It has nothing to do with 4wd. A lot of people here on Long Island, and I'm sure everywhere, don't understand that.....

Very, very impressed by how nice the OP was!

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My other car is a 2006 Audi A4 wagon and I will take that with snow tires over the jeep on snowy roads any day. Sure, the jeep will get through the deep stuff the Audi doesn’t have clearance for but if we are talking traction, a low center of gravity, snow tires and awd will hold the road better than my wrangler 35” KO2’s any day of the week.
I have a similar setup, BMW 328 AWD Wagon with Blizzaks. While the OE Cooper All Seasons were garbage in the snow, the winter tires, AWD, and manual transmission are amazing, up to the point it gets too deep of course. I don't have snow driving experience to compare to the Jeep yet.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
This^^^

Lol at all the disdain for Audis..... Having owned several quattros and several Jeeps, the Audi AWD is hands down more capable in the slicky slick. Granted they turn into snow plows if it is too deep, but for general snow/sleet/ice with dedicated snow tires or even all seasons, they excel.
The error was the driver's confidence writing checks his ass couldn't cash, but there are examples of that in all makes - Jeeps included. Kudos to the OP for helping out.
As for the cost of German parts, you get what you pay for. Are they overpriced? Yep. Is the overall design and engineering better than American made? Yep. And before anyone gets on me about bashing US manufacturing, I currently have 1 JLUR and 2 Grand Cherokees in the family. So there....

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I don’t know about all this 4x4, awd talk. I lived in Buffalo for 5 years for college. My parents stuck me up there with a 4 door Saturn that weighed like 100 lbs soaking wet. Damn car was all plastic. And I never ever got stuck or slid off the road. I got everywhere. Never missed a day of skiing. I think that’s why I’m so good in snow now back home.
Yup - I did a year of school in NW PA with a 1990 Buick Skylark. Got a total of 6ft of snow that season...never saw grass from the week before thanksgiving until the end of April, and I was never unable to get to where I wanted to go either. That was FWD on all-seasons. You learn how to maintain control without traction.

As for the cost of German parts, you get what you pay for. Are they overpriced? Yep. Is the overall design and engineering better than American made? Yep.
UH...NO. Extremely no. Definitely overpriced...and overengineered DOES NOT equal quality. As a former BMW enthusiast and career engineer, I can tell you that German engineering is some of the most mind-boggling work on earth. Furthermore, that headlight being used as an example in this thread is engineered in Japan and made in China, right alongside the Lexus and Cadillac headlights.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
  1. I live in Westchester NY and I use to commute to Bethpage LI Daily. I can tell you without a doubt LI drivers are some of the most aggressive I have ever seen. You have to drive like a nut out there just to survive. Sometimes on a weekend would forget I was back in Westchester and would find myself doing wildly aggressive moves and people would look at me like I was a maniac. What you described is typical LI.
  2. Probably would have not been able to resist grabbing that A-Hole by his collar. They don't realize they are putting everyone else in danger as well as themselves (kind of like not wearing a freakin mask)

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Out of curiosity, where did you attach the recovery strap to this Audi?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Back when I had my TJ I was heading to the airport to catch a flight to California. There was a little light snow on the ground, but nothing to really worry about. I'm going about 25mph on a local street, and next thing I know the Jeep decides to do a 360 and a 180. It ended up with me facing the complete opposite direction on the other side of the road. I simply took that as a hint and continued to go in the direction that the Jeep was pointing (back home).

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
You know what the difference is between Audis and porcupines........the pricks are on the outside of the porcupine.

Seriously though I got out in the snow as often as I could yesterday to play with the jeep. With the TC off the jeep is a ton of fun and the 4 door is pretty predictable as it drifts. I was most impressed by not needing 4wd at all. Falken Wildpeaks and the LSD and it moved very well and predictably. I spent a lot of years in RWD vehicles and prefer turning in RWD rather than 4wd; I find the front end can be controlled easier.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
One thing I've learned over the years is that I basically drive the exact same in the snow no matter what vehicle I'm driving. I don't care if it's FWD, 4WD, AWD or whatever. I take it slow and go as fast as I'm comfortable going. I could care less what others around me are doing. If somebody is riding me hard, I'll pull off to the side if I'm able to and let them pass. If I can't, then I just ignore them. Stuff like 4WD helps with getting going and not spinning as much but it doesn't help stopping, sliding, etc.

It's doesn't matter where I'm going.....My car and more importantly my life are much more important than getting someplace a few minutes quicker. It's just not worth it.

Frankly these days, I try to avoid even driving in heavy snow if I can help it. And it's not because of my skills driving in the snow. I've lived outside of Buffalo, NY my whole life and have plenty of experience driving in the snow. It's only because I don't trust many drivers out there that behave exactly like the idiot the OP mentioned.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The funny part is that an AWD car is only very slightly more capable than an equivalent FWD car. Really the only difference is that if you get stopped on a hill and need to get started again, the FWD car might be stuck whereas the AWD car should be ok. Out on a snow-covered but plowed road where you can get some speed, there is zero difference between AWD and FWD on the same car. In fact, that AWD system is probably functioning in FWD mode at that point anyway.

My JLU and Tahoe can do in 2WD what those "Audi drivers" think they need AWD to do. Get to where I need 4WD, and that Audi ain't movin.

Shame they insist on learning that the hard way.
I disagree. My Honda Element's "real-time 4WD" was essentially an AWD system. I have NEVER gotten stuck in it or lost traction to where I was not going in the direction I intended, in snowy conditions. And this was my first car, driven for 15 years as a dumb 18 year old onward. It was WAY better than my FWD vehicles. I have no idea how it compares to my JT, it hasn't snowed here yet.
Sponsored