Sponsored

Some Jeepers do it for the view... but whoa!

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yup a woman and friend with their dog got thrown from it! They lived thank God but I believe the driver had some serious injuries if i remember correctly.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Ouch. Just wondering though, is that something you just call up State Farm and explain, or does auto insurance typically not cover trails/off-road to the same extent? I'd think it would be treated like auto racing (not sure how they deal with that either), but in reality I've seen some gnarly driveways that would likely be covered.

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
Ouch. Just wondering though, is that something you just call up State Farm and explain, or does auto insurance typically not cover trails/off-road to the same extent? I'd think it would be treated like auto racing (not sure how they deal with that either), but in reality I've seen some gnarly driveways that would likely be covered.
In Colorado, where this happened (Black Bear Pass, Ouray), most off-roading is on numbered forest service roads. They're considered "unmaintained" but they are roads.

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
If you're a third pedal fan, never, ever trust your e-brake. If you're on the edge of a 1000 foot cliff and you need to get out, put it in gear and turn the engine off.
Same goes for the park pin in an auto. They definitely aren’t designed to hold the weight of our rigs at the angles we park….

Always set your parking brakes In steep terrain

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
If you're a third pedal fan, never, ever trust your e-brake. If you're on the edge of a 1000 foot cliff and you need to get out, put it in gear and turn the engine off.
Been driving sticks since before I had my license. I was taught to never trusted any e-brake. Ever.

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
Been driving sticks since before I had my license. I was taught to never trusted any e-brake. Ever.
Eh, we've all done it. The vehicle is running and you just need to hop out for one second; to check the mailbox, to pick something up off the ground, to move a childs bike out of the driveway, etc. It had dire consequences in this situation.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Glad to read the occupants were ok...but yikes! Did I say yikes?
The driver was OK because he was out of the jeep spotting for a vehicle behind them. The passenger suffered a broken back and, last that I heard, wasn't expected to recover enough to walk again.