Sponsored

Some Jeepers do it for the view... but whoa!

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Always set your parking brakes In steep terrain
I’ll go further and say set it every time you’re going to get out of the vehicle.

Been driving sticks since before I had my license. I was taught to never trusted any e-brake. Ever.
Tons of people seem to be taught that for some reason. Doesn’t make sense to me. If you don’t trust it, why use it?

Eh, we've all done it. The vehicle is running and you just need to hop out for one second; to check the mailbox, to pick something up off the ground, to move a childs bike out of the driveway, etc. It had dire consequences in this situation.
I’ve been driving 40 something years. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten out of a vehicle without setting the parking brake.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I’ll go further and say set it every time you’re going to get out of the vehicle.

Tons of people seem to be taught that for some reason. Doesn’t make sense to me. If you don’t trust it, why use it?

I’ve been driving 40 something years. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten out of a vehicle without setting the parking brake.
I use it. But why let that be the only thing you use when you have the option to throw it in gear to be double sure? That’s all.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Ouch. Just wondering though, is that something you just call up State Farm and explain, or does auto insurance typically not cover trails/off-road to the same extent? I'd think it would be treated like auto racing (not sure how they deal with that either), but in reality I've seen some gnarly driveways that would likely be covered.
That is a good question. I don't know the full answer for every situation, but a few months ago I called USAA and explained my soon-to-be new lifestyle because I wanted to know if they would cover all of my mods if I totaled my Jeep. The answer was "no."

I then found insurance that not only covers all of my mods, but since I am about to be an overlander it treats my Jeep as my home. My Jeep has personal property coverage attached to it for up to $20k (the limit I chose) that will reimburse me for my belongings in the case of theft or damage. I was honest and upfront with them as far as my plans for overlanding, and crawling, and since they specialize in these types of things it was no problem.

The best part is that the monthly payment is pretty reasonable in my opinion.

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
That is a good question. I don't know the full answer for every situation, but a few months ago I called USAA and explained my soon-to-be new lifestyle because I wanted to know if they would cover all of my mods if I totaled my Jeep. The answer was "no."

I then found insurance that not only covers all of my mods, but since I am about to be an overlander it treats my Jeep as my home. My Jeep has personal property coverage attached to it for up to $20k (the limit I chose) that will reimburse me for my belongings in the case of theft or damage. I was honest and upfront with them as far as my plans for overlanding, and crawling, and since they specialize in these types of things it was no problem.

The best part is that the monthly payment is pretty reasonable in my opinion.
Yeah, USAA is now a flat $5000, IIRC, for all aftermarket modifications.

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
It was on Black Bear Pass coming down the steep switchbacks into Telluride and it wasn't even on the steepest part of the route, which is cresting over the staircase above. The guy jumped out; but, the Jeep continued rolling over the edge. One of the first rolls threw the dog out; but, the passenger, his young girlfriend rode much further down before coming undone and sustained life changing injuries.

It's fun to just jump in and get going in a Jeep; but, parts of the west can be different from the east and manly gusto won't, by itself, cut it on every trail out here. Gradually built up AIST and constant caution, if not outright fear, is mandatory on places like Black Bear.

Black Bear Pass will fool you. It doesn't look that bad and mostly isn't; but, it has some spots that look fine until you realize they're steeper than you thought and, because of the incline, the gravel will roll out from under your wheels with even the lightest increase in speed or twitch of the wheel.

Last edited:

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Yeah, USAA is now a flat $5000, IIRC, for all aftermarket modifications.
Yeah, it is a pretty sucky deal. I have had USAA insurance and banking for over 20 years, and in my opinion they aren't so great anymore. I still have them for banking, but I ditched all of the insurance I had through them.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
USAA insurance is so so and they aren’t great for banking. I’m a veteran and I’ve never used them. Randolph Brooks FCU has outstanding credit union service. Both companies HQ’d here in San Antonio.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I did Black Bear Pass this July. No need to run off the road. In fact, I advise against it.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
I ran it in August. It's got some sections that are narrower than they were 15 years ago. Take your time, get out and spot a few of the drop offs to pick your line, you should be fine.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
rohdawg said:
Been driving sticks since before I had my license. I was taught to never trusted any e-brake. Ever.
I think this is akin to saying that you never trust a gun is unloaded. You may have unloaded it yourself, but you still don't trust that it is, so you don't point it at anything/anyone. Likewise, you may have set the e-brake but don't trust that it's going to work, so you put the transmission in gear/park.

Redundancies are a good thing, and you shouldn't rely on single system of safety. To steal a line from the Army, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
Setting 2 brakes may mean you have 1. Only setting 1 brake may mean you don't have any.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Ouch. Just wondering though, is that something you just call up State Farm and explain, or does auto insurance typically not cover trails/off-road to the same extent? I'd think it would be treated like auto racing (not sure how they deal with that either), but in reality I've seen some gnarly driveways that would likely be covered.
If it’s on a forest service map, then it’s a road, no different than any other.

Black Bear Pass will fool you. It doesn't look that bad and mostly isn't; but, it has some spots that look fine until you realize they're steeper than you thought and, because of the incline, the gravel will roll out from under your wheels with even the lightest increase in speed or twitch of the wheel.
Not my experience, I thought it was no more difficult than any other road in that area. It’s not more dangerous than may other roads around there, either. It does seems that people act dumb on the switchbacks or try to go up it in reverse, then try and turn around.

USAA insurance is so so and they aren’t great for banking.
Charles Schwab bought them and will run the company into the ground. They can’t innovate so they just buy all their competition and roll the customers into their bank because thats their only focus.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
If it’s on a forest service map, then it’s a road, no different than any other.
Yeah, I get that. But if it wasn't considered a forest service road, then what - no insurance coverage, some coverage, or same as if you were in someone's unpaved driveway?
Sponsored