Some Jeep Essentials?

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Hey there! First time Jeep owner here, I was wondering if you guys could maybe list some essentials everyone should have in their Jeeps. This is my first post so please let me know if I did anything wrong, thank you!
Sponsored

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
In the Military the Humvee's we drove came with something called a pioneer tool kit. Its been updated a few times over the years and Gerber even makes a pretty decent one (its expensive), check out the link below:
https://www.hmmwvinscale.com/hmmwvpioneertools.htm

Also included is a first aid kit for when you hurt yourself using the kit, lol.

Check out what's included and depending on your individual needs it will give you an idea of where you might want to start.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there! First time Jeep owner here, I was wondering if you guys could maybe list some essentials everyone should have in their Jeeps. This is my first post so please let me know if I did anything wrong, thank you!
I always carry these things when on an off-roading trip:

• High quality first aid kit
  • Recovery gear for winching or pulling someone out, including straps, shackles, snatch block
  • Fire extinguisher (Elements 50, small, light)
  • Small surplus shovel or Spetznaz shovel
  • hats/gloves/hand warmers, extra socks
  • water, life straw
  • tire plug kit
  • air compressor (Viair)
  • various batteries
  • flashlight (several)
  • hatchet/saw
  • fuses
  • electrical tape, duct tape, zip ties
  • emergency (foil) blankets, 2 or 3
  • fire starters/waterproof matches
  • 2 MRE's (winter)
  • a quart of oil, quart of gear lube
  • Night vision visible flashing beacon/9v battery (left over from a hog hunt. Cool device!)
  • a few basic tool
  • Baofeng 8w walkie talkie (HAM, GMRS, FRS capable) and/or a Midland GMRS/FRS handheld
  • Backpacking camp stove and fuel.
  • rope, usually some paracord.
  • First aid booklet
I probably carry a few more small things. I try to keep things lightweight and compact. Most of this stuff sits in the rear storage compartment and a Tuffy tailgate storage cabinet. I'm sure I left a few small items off, but this is mostly it.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot one that is essential for trails in wooded areas: A battery powered 10" chainsaw. It is small, light, and can help get a tree cleared from a road. Beats the heck out of hacking away with a hatchet or axe.

OP
OP
roy2120

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
In the Military the Humvee's we drove came with something called a pioneer tool kit. Its been updated a few times over the years and Gerber even makes a pretty decent one (its expensive), check out the link below:
https://www.hmmwvinscale.com/hmmwvpioneertools.htm

Also included is a first aid kit for when you hurt yourself using the kit, lol.

Check out what's included and depending on your individual needs it will give you an idea of where you might want to start.
Thanks man definitely checking these out!

Sponsored

OP
OP
roy2120

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I always carry these things:

• High quality first aid kit
  • Recovery gear for winching or pulling someone out, including straps, shackles, snatch block
  • Fire extinguisher (Elements 50, small, light)
  • Small surplus shovel or Spetznaz shovel
  • hats/gloves/hand warmers, extra socks
  • water, life straw
  • tire plug kit
  • air compressor (Viair)
  • various batteries
  • flashlight (several)
  • hatchet/saw
  • fuses
  • electrical tape, duct tape, zip ties
  • emergency (foil) blankets, 2 or 3
  • fire starters/waterproof matches
  • 2 MRE's (winter)
  • a quart of oil, quart of gear lube
  • Night vision visible flashing beacon/9v battery (left over from a hog hunt. Cool device!)
  • a few basic tool
  • Baofeng 8w walkie talkie (HAM, GMRS, FRS capable) and/or a Midland GMRS/FRS handheld
  • Backpacking camp stove and fuel.
  • rope, usually some paracord.
  • First aid booklet
I probably carry a few more small things. I try to keep things lightweight and compact. Most of this stuff sits in the rear storage compartment and a Tuffy tailgate storage cabinet. I'm sure I left a few small items off, but this is mostly it.
Thank you, lots of stuff from there I should get!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, lots of stuff from there I should get!
It sounds like a lot but you just put it together one piece at a time, according to your priorities. And one of my top priorities is weight and portability. So for example my more serious recovery gear doesn't always go with me. But I'll always at least have the winch and one strap. The chainsaw and gear oil are home 99% of the time. But the fire extinguisher is always there. I can load out quickly or unload it quickly. No need for all that stuff when driving around near home in the summer with doors off and top down. But when heading to Michigan, Moab, or having fun in a snow storm looking for people to help out of ditches and such. So some things are mission specific.

All this is just part of the fun of owning a Jeep. So I hope you have fun decking yours out just the way you want it and see fit. I'm looking forward to seeing what you and others post up in this thread. I'm sure some great ideas are coming.

One final thought. When I go on a trip with other Jeeps and/or 4x4s, we look at who is bringing what. I don't have a Hi-Lift jack because someone else always has one. Vice versa, they don't bring a chain saw. They know I've got it. Some things just don't have to be redundant. Gotta help each other keep the weight off!

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I thinking depends on how you are going to use your Jeep. I use mine primarily as a daily driver with the intent to off-road every few months. I always keep a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, small tool kit, jumper cables, 6 ton safe jack, tow strap & rope, air compressor, tire repair kit and folding recovery pads. All these fit nicely in the Jeep and do not take up a lot of space. Like others have said take your time and get what you like and can afford.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
depends on what you’re doing. i’m more apt to carry an element fire extinguisher (very cool), wipes, hand sanitizer, barf bag, emergency road hazard lights and tylenol compared to a tow strap. as a busy dad of 4 with lots of kid activities, my “off roading” isn’t the rock crawling or overlanding you see on youtube. maybe that makes my wrangler a mall crawler?? lol. bottom line: buy what you’ll need for your situation. no need to carry a full size shovel to go grocery shopping. just my opinion.

JDBoss

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '20 F350 6.7L Tremor
Occupation
"Quiet Professional" (ret)
I forgot one that is essential for trails in wooded areas: A battery powered 10" chainsaw. It is small, light, and can help get a tree cleared from a road. Beats the heck out of hacking away with a hatchet or axe.
A variation of that is a DeWalt brushless lithium battery sawsall with a three pack of 12" pruning blades. Stores nicely with the blade and battery removed, lightweight and no mess of chain oil. We carry one on our SXS and it has MORE than paid for itself on east coast ATV trails.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
depends on what you’re doing. i’m more apt to carry an element fire extinguisher (very cool), wipes, hand sanitizer, barf bag, emergency road hazard lights and tylenol compared to a tow strap. as a busy dad of 4 with lots of kid activities, my “off roading” isn’t the rock crawling or overlanding you see on youtube. maybe that makes my wrangler a mall crawler?? lol. bottom line: buy what you’ll need for your situation. no need to carry a full size shovel to go grocery shopping. just my opinion.
Good ideas! Dad right here, too! I forgot about wipes! I carry flushable wipes and a little spray bottle of alchol for sanitizing masks and about anything else.

LOVE the barf bag idea! My youngest son ralphed half digested macaroni and cheeze in the back of my JL when we were on the Tail of the Dragon. Fortunately, most landed on the floor mat, but some got on the seat, too and all over his clothes.

All the gear I've got and I had nothing for that situation. LOL! I also forgot about the meds. I've got Children's Chewable Tylenol, too.

Remember that even Jeeps that rarely go off road might find themselves in a snow storm or weather event, or you might drive by a dirt road or trail that tempts you beyond your ability to resist!

But you are right. Everything depends on what you are doing. I don't carry most of my stuff most of the time. But the Dad stuff, YES!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A variation of that is a DeWalt brushless lithium battery sawsall with a three pack of 12" pruning blades. Stores nicely with the blade and battery removed, lightweight and no mess of chain oil. We carry one on our SXS and it has MORE than paid for itself on east coast ATV trails.
You can do more with that than I can with a chain saw. You could, for example, cut a body part, such as an air dam or bumper, that gets damaged and is rubbing a tire. And you are right about chain oil. But the little chainsaw does have a nice plastic blade cover that stays on well to prevent mess.

But I do wish I'd heard this idea before the chain saw. Maybe I'll sell the chain saw and swap it. Thank you!!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is also surprising what you can get into your storage in the rear of the 4 door. I also added some real nice underseat bags for the rear seats that easily slide in and out with a handle. I'll try and find them and post them up. And I can switch them between my JK and JL. So when daily driving, they are in the garage. And kids can still stuff their things on top of them under the seat, such as their electronics, headphones, etc. Plenty of room.

I'll post up some pics so you can see that the storage is very efficient. The only thing that really intrudes is the Tuffy rear cabinet. But it keeps things organized and acts as a table for meals, too.

So I'll start with the recovery bag. I do keep 1 strap and 2 shackles in the rear storage when this is not in the Jeep. Got a deal on this at Extreme Terrain a few years ago and have added a few small items since. But all that would fit in the storage, too. I just like to take it out between trips and also have it for quick access when our clothing bags and fridge are covering the storage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Some Jeep Essentials? DbmoFva

Jeep Wrangler JL Some Jeep Essentials? QjpCM4

The other bag is a cheap but durable open top storage bag from LA Police Gear for other loose items, like the extra shoes you see there, LOL!

Here is the Tuffy cabinet. It does intrude about 6" or so into the cargo area. But I like it alot. It carries lots of loose stuff and keeps it from flopping around. It has 2 removable shelves and offers secure storage for summer when the top and doors are off. The loadout pictured was for Colorado and Moab, so lots of gear lube, tire deflator, shop towels, and even a new air filter, among other things. I stuffed even more in there after the pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Some Jeep Essentials? yEqq4sZ

Jeep Wrangler JL Some Jeep Essentials? D9mjeNJ

My daughter made the padding out of rubber drawer liner to prevent rattles. Worked great!

Jeep Wrangler JL Some Jeep Essentials? ZLpz2GM

And it also large enough as secure storage for special cargo, such as my "tennis racket." for uh.....er....I mean.... trips to, you know, the country club. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Some Jeep Essentials? HTdgzLC

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Daily suburbia life : masks, hand sanitizer, multitool, flashlight, pen, gum, small bottle of assorted pills( tylenol, advil, poopoo meds), towel, small first aid kit, utility gloves, small blanket, bottle opener, rain jacket, hoodie, bug spray, tennis ball and nerf football, fire extinguisher
Trail: all of the above plus my tool kit, first aid kit, recovery stuff(strap,shackles, snatchblock, tree strap) extra pair of gloves, portable air compressor, extra cheapo handheld radio, extra socks, small box (brake cleaner, wd-40, grease, super glue), duct tape, small tarp.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Found them! These aren't cheap, but the work great and are pretty rugged. They move to the footwell when lowering the seats for cargo. But best of all, they can be removed when I'm not needing the gear. I've kept things like ammo, hand warmers, extra socks, hats, gloves, water bottles, walkie talkies, batteries, you name it.

Dirt Bagz

But remember, I've accumulated this stuff through decades of Jeeping, including 13 years with the JKUR. I wouldn't have had the $$ to go out and get it all at once. Sometimes you get ideas from others, sometimes you learn from your own experience what you need. And I was a Boy Scout, so there's the "Be Prepared" thing, too. Lol!

Today we're FINALLY getting some snow and freezing rain today and tomorrow,. Not much yet, but there will be freezing rain that they say may turn into a sheet of ice on the road I'll go out in the worst of it and pull some people out of ditches. We've got a stretch of US 36 where people ground loop and put it in the median all the time whenever there's ice. So the recovery bag, warm weather gear, and a thermos of hot chocolate will be the cargo of choice. Oh yeah, and a hunter orange hat and vest, so I can be seen a little better.

Note of caution for anyone pulling people out of whatever. Don't EVER pull them out in reverse. Your axle gears and probably transmission are not designed to have great loads on the back of the teeth. Always pull going forward. Use a winch if you must pull from the front. The tow hooks on the front bumper are for someone to pull YOU out, not for you pulling them.
Sponsored