Some interesting news from the local Jeep dealer

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My JLUR that I ordered in January 2021 is a few grand msrp more now if I build an identical 2021 on their website.
I just configured a 2022 JLUS that is identical to my 2021 build that I ordered in Sept. 2020. The price increase is $2K.

The Uconnect 4 (7" touchscreen) is now standard, replacing the 5" Uconnect 3. The 850RE transmission went up by $500.00, too. That isn't surprising; FCA and now Stellantis play reindeer games with powertrain pricing every year.

I'd have guessed a $500 year-to-year bump to configure the same Sport. The $2K was something of an unpleasant surprise.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is all window dressing.

The sucky dealers and customer service that right now spoil the ownership experience will spread over to the flashy new buildings, like the COVID virus...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Reminds me of when GM built Hummer-only dealerships. The design was actually pretty cool - it had a giant "H" in the architecture on the fascia. There's one a few miles down the road from me in White Settlement, TX.

It only took ~5 years after it was built for it to go under and it's now a Subaru dealership, lol.

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
GM mismanaged that brand, they yielded to the Green movement and they never got traction before the big crash in "09.

I thought back then that making their entire line a luxury line, with luxury prices was a big mistake. I wondered why they didn't develop a Wrangler like vehicle, which would have fit the brand well.

Also, the H2T was a joke. If GM would have made a crew cab true pickup out of the H2, and put a 6' bed on it, they would not have been able to keep them on the lots. That was the era of 4 door pickups taking over in sales. They did that with the H3T, but it was too little too late. Plus it had an under powered inline 5 under the hood. The same engine that hobbled H3 sales.

If Stellantis puts more guys in power suits in charge of Jeep, there will be a similar result. Especially if they are from Europe. Watch closely for Stellantis to take on the MB Gwagen. That will signal big problems for Jeep. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

GM mismanaged that brand, they yielded to the Green movement and they never got traction before the big crash in "09.

I thought back then that making their entire line a luxury line, with luxury prices was a big mistake. I wondered why they didn't develop a Wrangler like vehicle, which would have fit the brand well.

Also, the H2T was a joke. If GM would have made a crew cab true pickup out of the H2, and put a 6' bed on it, they would not have been able to keep them on the lots. That was the era of 4 door pickups taking over in sales. They did that with the H3T, but it was too little too late. Plus it had an under powered inline 5 under the hood. The same engine that hobbled H3 sales.
I really wish GM hadn't wasted the Blazer name. If they took the new Tahoe design, shrunk it down and based it on the new Colorado, and gave it actual off-road chops, they could have released it as the 2022 Blazer K5 and sold shit-tons.

I'd love to see what Stellantis would do if both Ford AND GM started [legitimately] attacking their beloved Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'd love to see what Stellantis would do if both Ford AND GM started [legitimately] attacking their beloved Jeep Wrangler.
But for the teething pains occurring with the rollout of the new Bronco, that's exactly what Ford has been doing.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

But for the teething pains occurring with the rollout of the new Bronco, that's exactly what Ford has been doing.
Yep, and it already resulted in the Xtreme Recon package and I'm sure '23/'24 MY will see more improvements as a result.

Imagine the fire that could be lit under FCA if they were facing both Ford AND GM.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
GM has been firing blanks for awhile now.

GM has some solid products like Colorado/Canyon, Tahoe/Yukon. But Silverado just lost the 2nd spot in sales to Ram for the 2nd time in 3 years. Camaro did the same to Challenger.

There’s something off with GM’s styling, be Cadillac and Buick exteriors, or Silverado interiors.

Chevrolet finally put a competitive interior in the upcoming 2022 Silverado; it only took them 10 years! But the rest of the GM lineup, from Trailblazers to Blazers, look like a bunch of 10-year old Hyundais... 😫

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I really wish GM hadn't wasted the Blazer name. If they took the new Tahoe design, shrunk it down and based it on the new Colorado, and gave it actual off-road chops, they could have released it as the 2022 Blazer K5 and sold shit-tons.
Still very much possible, and GM should do it. Make a K5 version of the Colorado/Canyon. It would be super easy to develop. Make it in the same way that Blazers, Jimmys and Broncos (78-96) were done. Removable rear roof, power/roll down glass into the tailgate. Those new "small" trucks are about the same size as those originals. Pop out roof panels over the front seats would also be easy to add. So many were hoping that the new Bronco would actually be built on that type of design that a fake Jeep that looks like a revised Scout was off putting to them.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

When I was getting my 4Runner serviced back in 16 or so it was early and they had no coffee so the service guy took me over across the parking lot to the Lexus side. Man.... They had leather seats, every type of coffee, tea, orange juice and bagels. Place was like a different company. Went back to Toyota side had uncomfortable seats as if sitting in the DMV, those big coffee canisters that were empty with the little paper cups.

Two different worlds.
Exactly that! If they want those “Lexus” customers buying Grand Wagoneers they have to up their game

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Exactly that! If they want those “Lexus” customers buying Grand Wagoneers they have to up their game
I still can’t believe I’m spending ~$50k on a Wrangler and our GC was almost $60k (before discounts and incentives). Our last 2 family vehicles were fully loaded Mitsubishi Outlanders. Both went 100k mi without any issues before we traded them in, both cost $31k, and the dealership service was 100% better than I’ve ever experienced from a U.S. manufacturer.

Our ‘22 Wrangler will be my 36th vehicle in less than 30 years, so I’ve had a bit of experience with various dealerships/manufacturers. Save for a good dealership here and there, Chrysler has been the absolute worst over the years. But therein lies the problem, people keep buying and tolerating price increases & poor dealer service.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I still can’t believe I’m spending ~$50k on a Wrangler and our GC was almost $60k (before discounts and incentives). Our last 2 family vehicles were fully loaded Mitsubishi Outlanders. Both went 100k mi without any issues before we traded them in, both cost $31k, and the dealership service was 100% better than I’ve ever experienced from a U.S. manufacturer.

Our ‘22 Wrangler will be my 36th vehicle in less than 30 years, so I’ve had a bit of experience with various dealerships/manufacturers. Save for a good dealership here and there, Chrysler has been the absolute worst over the years. But therein lies the problem, people keep buying and tolerating price increases & poor dealer service.
Chrysler/Jeep dealer experience was never stellar, but it took a dive under Fiat ownership.

Prior to 2014, I was able to get in for service the next day, and get my vehicle back either that evening or the next. Warranty repairs were taken care of; no questions asked.

Since 2014-15, things have gradually deteriorated. Today we are lucky if we can get an appointment within 7-10 days, and then it takes them WEEKS to diagnose the problem, order the parts and get our vehicle back. Half the time they can’t even replicate the problem; the other half they argue to no end that “that’s normal” or “it’s not covered by the warranty because you modified the vehicle.”

Essentially, Jeep customer service is now as bad as Fiat service was 40 years ago, when it was forced to pack and leave. But, somehow, we are now willing to put up with it because it is a Jeep...

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The couple times I’ve taken my 2004 BMW to the dealer I’ve had no problem getting a rental even though the car is originally from out of state and i am the 3rd or 4th owner.

Whenever i have gone to the jeep dealer where we bought my wife’s wk2, we have never been given or offered a rental. Best we can get is a minivan ride to the house, which they may not even offer anymore in the covid world.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
My local Jeep dealer is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway. This hasn't changed their old-school tactics one iota. I was hoping for a more 21st century approach.
BH has a very hands off approach to the businesses they run.
Sponsored