Some interesting news from the local Jeep dealer

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Most of the Jeep dealers near me are Jeep only already, no other FCA products sold there. This is in metro Denver though where there's enough demand to support Jeep-only dealers I suppose.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Supporting Jeep sales is not the problem; is for the other brands to survive without Jeep in the showroom.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
They must be very confident that the Jeep brand can stand on its own two feet in the market. That’s encouraging…

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Only Jeep and Ram can survive on their own. I see the Durango and the Caravan/Town and Country going to the Ram brand. Maybe even branding the truck line as Dodge again. The 300, and therefore the Chrysler brand will die when the Charger/300 is dropped in the absence of Hemis. Plus, I doubt Stellantis wants to keep the ancient Mercedes derived platform on life support.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Only Jeep and Ram can survive on their own. I see the Durango and the Caravan/Town and Country going to the Ram brand. Maybe even branding the truck line as Dodge again. The 300, and therefore the Chrysler brand will die when the Charger/300 is dropped in the absence of Hemis. Plus, I doubt Stellantis wants to keep the ancient Mercedes derived platform on life support.
If the preliminary specs for the 2024 EV challenger are at all accurate, it will make the hellcats seem slow. The idea that dodge can’t survive without the hemi is laughable. 900hp, instant torque from a dig, 0-60 ~2seconds, and a 500 mile range? Aside from sound, it will do everything better than any factory hemi ever could.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
If the preliminary specs for the 2024 EV challenger are at all accurate, it will make the hellcats seem slow. The idea that dodge can’t survive without the hemi is laughable. 900hp, instant torque from a dig, 0-60 ~2seconds, and a 500 mile range? Aside from sound, it will do everything better than any factory hemi ever could.
I’ll believe it when I see it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Some interesting news from the local Jeep dealer 71D74EF0-2577-41AF-B494-A5936624F577

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sounds good, if it can live up to the hype. Rebranding Dodge as an EV company will be an uphill battle. In my opinion. Better to use the Stellantis brand.

The MachE doesn’t come close to the range hype. The replacement battery pack needed in 7-8 years are currently $20,000.

A 500 mile range sounds laughably impossible in 2 years, given what’s on the market now. We’ll see.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Sounds good, if it can live up to the hype. Rebranding Dodge as an EV company will be an uphill battle. In my opinion. Better to use the Stellantis brand.

The MachE doesn’t come close to the range hype. The replacement battery pack needed in 7-8 years are currently $20,000.

A 500 mile range sounds laughably impossible in 2 years, given what’s on the market now. We’ll see.
You can by a lucid aire with 500 mile range right now, but I'm sure it's impossible in 2 years? If it delivers on the performance specs, dodge rebranding as a muscle car company seems...easy? Run a hellcat or demon hard for 7-8 years and tell me you don't have >$20k in repairs. The performance of base model EV's blows away "muscle cars" of the 60's. Get in to the 2, 3, and even 4 motor models and super cars have their hands full. A Durango that does 0-60 in 3s, tows more, hauls more, has a 400 mile range, and costs $10-20 to fill, vs $125 I just pumped in my ram at $5/gal and gets less than 300mi/tank I'm sure will be a tough sale.

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Okay. You win. We’ll see.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Given how many comments on here say they "need" bloated $$$ options on their Jeep, no one should be surprised Jeep's entering Defender territory price wise. The market is clearly there for Jeep to keep raising prices.

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I think there'll be room enough for all car brands, but they have to be nimble enough to adapt. Electric vehicles can be much more powerful than gas powered. UPS is converting to all electric local delivery trucks with a 150 mile range. Freightliner truck co. is developing a line of electric trucks. Tesla recently test drove an all-electric 18 wheeler rig. These things are very powerful. I think the biggest competition for Chrysler or GM or Toyota or any legacy car company will be from new startups that just look ahead, like the UK based "Arrival" that's building the electric UPS vans here in two new US factories. These new guys building all EV aren't going to have any of the old baggage dragging down the legacy car companies, like employee pensions, keeping people interested in old technology gas engines, failing dealerships, etc... the new guys like Arrival are starting with a clean slate and legacy companies with all their baggage may have a hard time competing with that.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is also doing something along this line with the Bronco. Dealers can construct a Bronco only building for sales. However, no better than Ford is doing at building, and shipping the Bronco those new sections will sit empty for a long time.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This probably just depends on the market. Maybe for some areas, they will want dealers to go with a Jeep only store and give them great financing to build a separate facility. In the past, this has not worked out well for some brands. GM tried this with Hummer and FCA with Fiat. We see how well that worked out. I can see for higher end products with a large amount of profit to be made but Jeep is not one of them.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Durango is already gone, see new GC "L" model. Stellanis needs to re-certify or sell new dealer franchises for the Jeep-only approach to work. Last thing you want to have in your network is some 50+ yr old family franchise that grew up selling cars based on bad loans/leases and milking customers at every turn. Maybe they should all sell direct and lease showrooms to local business owners.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
This probably just depends on the market. Maybe for some areas, they will want dealers to go with a Jeep only store and give them great financing to build a separate facility. In the past, this has not worked out well for some brands. GM tried this with Hummer and FCA with Fiat. We see how well that worked out. I can see for higher end products with a large amount of profit to be made but Jeep is not one of them.
Jeep is HUGELY profitable, second only to Porsche I'd bet. I mean good for them both though right... I just bought a $81K Wrangler... that stings a bit but what a great little truck/suv.
Sponsored