Some good news for JL Wrangler diesel!

digitalbliss

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
What do you expect people do with their Jeeps 99% of the time? Do you think it is realistic to go buy a $30K vehicle and only use to to go climb rocks every few weekends? The reason the Jeep was brought to market was so that it could be the ultimate all-round vehicle to get from here to anywhere and back. They weren't made so people would use them primarily for 4-wheeling.
Uh... No I don't, which is why I made the response I did. Read more than one post above to read the full string and quit jumping to conclusions. Since you obviously didn't... I'll quote what I was responding to....

"Instant max torque doesn't interest you? It seems to be to cover all the draws of a diesel especially for a vehicle such as the Wrangler that spends most of its life off road or in stop/go/low-rev or crawling situations. If you're doing a lot of highway driving the advantages start shifting toward diesel but that's not how most Wrangler owners I know use them."

Advertisement

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
Uh... No I don't, which is why I made the response I did. Read more than one post above to read the full string and quit jumping to conclusions. Since you obviously didn't... I'll quote what I was responding to....

"Instant max torque doesn't interest you? It seems to be to cover all the draws of a diesel especially for a vehicle such as the Wrangler that spends most of its life off road or in stop/go/low-rev or crawling situations. If you're doing a lot of highway driving the advantages start shifting toward diesel but that's not how most Wrangler owners I know use them."

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
It's great that some of you know without question that X.x pentadieselcane is the only engine you'd consider, but, honestly, how do you know? All three choices are new. Yeah, the pentastar is a known entity, but it's reportedly going to be tweaked (improved?) a bit. I love high revving turbo 4's (my Subaru STI was a hoot!) and I've never had a diesel but am very intrigued by the insta-torque/mpg/and (maybe) performance possibilities. I am an open book, having had the 3.8 in '09 (meh) and the 3.6 in '12 (better, but not wow). I don't have a clue which engine I want to propel my JL from hither to yon. Both my JK's were 6-speeds, but I resigned myself to an 8-auto this go round. All I know is that one of these 3 choices is going to rise to the top of my list by virtue of how good it feels to drive it (80% daily driver, 20 % weekend warrior - harsh upstate NY weather). Don't know how I'm going to know for sure until I try them all. Of course, I'll be glued to this forum reading impressions of the engine choices as they begin to roll in. Anticipation is kinda exciting!

zgn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ (2001)

The reason I said what I did was because it seemed that you were looking-down on those who don't use their Jeeps for off-roading, that is the way it came across to me reading it, but perhaps I was mistaken - a communication breakdown through text. My fault.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the only thing I know for sure is that I won't go with the turbo 4. I like high revving fours, too, but not with the auto. Here's how I'm looking at it:

3.6 Pros
-availability right off the bat
-6 speed manual
-proven reliability and longevity
-Strong before, now stronger
-Even stronger yet, if there is weight reduction from the JK
-No DEF fluid
-No direct injection (we think), which means it won't be hard on oil or have valve deposit issues.
-Smooth and quiet.

3.6 Cons
-I can't really think of any. It should go fast, tow just as well (chassis is the likely limiting factor)
-It isn't a diesel.

3.0 Diesel Pros
-TORQUE
-good horsepower for a diesel--240, which is a significant improvement over my current 3.8 JK
-Fuel economy should be good
-Longevity (we think. It should be, as it is a diesel)
-Power in the mountains, at altitude
-It is just damned cool to roll up sounding like a diesel.

3.0 Cons
-Auto only (we are fairly sure)
-DEF fluid
-Likely EXPENSIVE
-May not be available right away
-Unknown (to me) reliability
-Probably a little noisy compared to the 3.6, although likely a cool kind of noisy.
-Even if available right away, it will probably take months longer to take delivery, kinda like the manual transmission made my 07 JKU turn into an 08 when it finally appeared.

Ikari Warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Electric...? A baby kitten dies every time someone tries to make a Wrangler more green.
Hybrid and electric Wranglers are coming no matter what. I'm not interested personally but doesn't hurt to offer more powertrain types, it's good for business. Thankfully along with greener models in the future they're also going to give us DIESEL :rock:

Vegas_Sirk

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the only thing I know for sure is that I won't go with the turbo 4. I like high revving fours, too, but not with the auto. Here's how I'm looking at it:

3.6 Pros
-Smooth and quiet.

3.6 Cons
-I can't really think of any. It should go fast, tow just as well (chassis is the likely limiting factor)
Trust me the 3.6 is NOT smooth and quiet unless they did some major changes to it this go around. I have it in my JKU and it's noisy and vibrates a LOT. I hate it. Its also gutless on the hwy and sounds like its going to fall apart when flooring it to pass people on 2 lane roads.

This is the main reason I'm looking at the diesel. I drove the Grand Cherokee with it and its a world of difference in how it feels. Now is that because its in a Grand Cherokee? and will it be similar in the Wrangler? That I can't say with 100% certainty, but I know if it is not I'll most likely be looking at other vehicles as I can't do another 5 years with an engine I hate again.

The Great Grape Ape

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I have it in my JKU and it's noisy and vibrates a LOT. I hate it..
SOoo instead.. diesel. :facepalm:

I drove the Grand Cherokee with it and its a world of difference in how it feels. Now is that because its in a Grand Cherokee?
What , you mean because of the active noise cancelling and the 8-speed transmission? Probably. :idea:

Vegas_Sirk

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
SOoo instead.. diesel. :facepalm:
The diesel in the Grand Cherokee is smooth and quiet. So not sure what you mean by that. Most diesels these days are. My fathers F350 is amazing, same with my Step Father's Silverado 2500.

The Great Grape Ape said:
What , you mean because of the active noise cancelling and the 8-speed transmission? Probably. :idea:
Not sure that's all of it, but probably part of it. I also expect the JL will be quieter inside as well.

BillyHW

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Trust me the 3.6 is NOT smooth and quiet unless they did some major changes to it this go around. I have it in my JKU and it's noisy and vibrates a LOT. I hate it. Its also gutless on the hwy and sounds like its going to fall apart when flooring it to pass people on 2 lane roads.

This is the main reason I'm looking at the diesel. I drove the Grand Cherokee with it and its a world of difference in how it feels. Now is that because its in a Grand Cherokee? and will it be similar in the Wrangler? That I can't say with 100% certainty, but I know if it is not I'll most likely be looking at other vehicles as I can't do another 5 years with an engine I hate again.
Gosh, some people really hate the Pentastar and others say it's great. I'm not sure what to believe.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, it is. I just drove one last weekend. It was a 2012 2 door, with a 6 speed manual. It was VERY nice, smooth, and quiet. It felt and drove very well. I ran it hard, too, right up to redline, and felt great throughout the entire rpm range. It is one of the nicest V6 engines I've driven.

Nebakadnezar

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GL450, Ford F150

It seems you are referring to offroading, and its a stretch for me to believe that an electric vehicle would be a good idea on the trail. How do you charge it if you are camping, roll out the solar panels, lol...? There are a TON of times when a trail takes much longer than expected, whether its because you get stuck on rocks, in the mud, break something, someone else breaks something, etc. Again, what do you do if you run out of batteries... How instant is the torque if the battery is drained?

Billy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
It seems you are referring to offroading, and its a stretch for me to believe that an electric vehicle would be a good idea on the trail. How do you charge it if you are camping, roll out the solar panels, lol...? There are a TON of times when a trail takes much longer than expected, whether its because you get stuck on rocks, in the mud, break something, someone else breaks something, etc. Again, what do you do if you run out of batteries... How instant is the torque if the battery is drained?
Flux capacitor...

Vegas_Sirk

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is. I just drove one last weekend. It was a 2012 2 door, with a 6 speed manual. It was VERY nice, smooth, and quiet. It felt and drove very well. I ran it hard, too, right up to redline, and felt great throughout the entire rpm range. It is one of the nicest V6 engines I've driven.
Try passing someone on a two lane road and tell me that its that way. It's not. I just drove 13 hours from southern Idaho to northern Montana on a mix of mountain passes, two lane roads passing motor homes & trailers, and more, and what I stated in my last post is 100% my experience. I'm sure you didn't make the engine work on test drive like the work mine did on that trip. Also the Jeep at a dealership is 100% stock where mine is pushing 35" tires and aftermarket bumpers which changes the dynamics a lot. The NA V6 is fine if you're going to keep it stock, but if you mod it I'm telling you right now you'll be disappointed.

Advertisement

Quake LED

Advertisement