First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
If they come onto my property and break into my rig …then rifle through my console? Lol. Good luck defending that position! Scumbags!!!
Unfortunately it’s true. If a burglar broke into your house and slipped and broke his leg he could sue you.

Is it insane - yes.
Is it right - HELL NO.

Welcome to America 🇺🇸
Sponsored

pyrowolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Sahara
If they come onto my property and break into my rig …then rifle through my console? Lol. Good luck defending that position! Scumbags!!!
Defending the position isn't in question -- traps causing bodily harm are illegal. There are no states in the US, even ones with stand-your-ground laws that I am aware of, that allow you to bypass causing bodily harm through "booby traps". At a minimum you'll open yourself up to personal injury liability, if the trap causes gross bodily harm or uses deadly force you then become criminally liable.

In some states like California it's actually a felony just to set a booby trap regardless of the intended damage it may cause and can get you up to 5 years in prison [ref: Cal. Penal Code §§ (pg. 1014) Chapter 3.2. Boobytraps (12355)]. Just possession of the device can get you a hefty fine and/or jail time.

Cal3san

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2118 3.6L Sport S
If you have a soft top be thankful whoever "they" are didn't use a knife to cut the top to get in.

I made the mistake of rolling up the windows of my Samuri, in my driveway in Subic Bay, in '88. (Had 10 ft iron "security" fence with barbed wire on top) Doors were unlocked but the idiot cut thru the right rear window and didn' t take a thing. Cost $350 to get one new made.

With my Sport I don't lock it but I don't leave anything of value in sight. GPS goes in console lock box along with my gum---yes, gum. Gun goes with me.

Punkn Expo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
you have to be really close for the proximity locks. I have a small yard and driveway is next to my house. I was worried about that. It seems like I need to be within 5 feet of my Jeep for them to work.
If you've got proximity locks and your Jeep is outside, you need to keep your key in something RF blocking. They'll just steal it out of your driveway using your key to open it and start it.
"There are many cases around the world of thieves using receivers to steal key fob signals from inside homes. Then, they relay that signal to open and start cars that have push starters." Three Jeeps with proximity locks in the same Pasco County FL neighborhood were recently stolen within minutes of each other. It's believed the thieves used the Jeeps' wireless key fob to gain access by stealing the low-frequency radio signal the fob transmits. It's called a relay attack.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...len-in-minutes-from-pasco-county-neighborhood

I have proximity locks and now I use a Faraday Key Fob Pouch (bought on Amazon). It's a PITA but I do it every time I leave the Jeep now since reading that article.

Jeep Wrangler JL Some dirt bag rifled through my Jeep last night 64590476695__74D95507-D29D-4EE8-9F65-5B82EDB9E28D

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Defending the position isn't in question -- traps causing bodily harm are illegal. There are no states in the US, even ones with stand-your-ground laws that I am aware of, that allow you to bypass causing bodily harm through "booby traps". At a minimum you'll open yourself up to personal injury liability, if the trap causes gross bodily harm or uses deadly force you then become criminally liable.

In some states like California it's actually a felony just to set a booby trap regardless of the intended damage it may cause and can get you up to 5 years in prison [ref: Cal. Penal Code §§ (pg. 1014) Chapter 3.2. Boobytraps (12355)]. Just possession of the device can get you a hefty fine and/or jail time.
Also know that just because it is a crime, that does not mean that you will be prosecuted. Hell in California you can burn down cities and shit in the street and not get charged for the crimes.

OP
OP
wandrur

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I now have two exterior, 90w floods. Unfortunately, they are wired to my front porch light, but that's better than nothing. Kind of annoying to have on all the time, though, so my neighbor and I are thinking of doing a motion sensor setup.
My neighbor put a motion sensor light in the driveway. Plus I now have an infrared security camera. Plus some additional motion sensor lights on the list.

Hopefully once the house next door has new residents, we'll have another set of eyes to watch for stupidity. I'm just glad it wasn't worse. Seems it was probably just an opportunistic would-be thief rather than a determined one.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Also know that just because it is a crime, that does not mean that you will be prosecuted. Hell in California you can burn down cities and shit in the street and not get charged for the crimes.
Hey Ted, have you heard about all the businesses closing over there because savages are just loading up bags of stuff and walking out in front of the staff because there's nothing they can do about it?

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Hey Ted, have you heard about all the businesses closing over there because savages are just loading up bags of stuff and walking out in front of the staff because there's nothing they can do about it?
Saw this video of a guy at a store in CA just fill up a trash bag with stuff and then just walk out. Security guard was recording the incident but did not do anything to stop it.

theory2

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I'm in northern Maine and even I woke up to my dog fence (in ground) alarm going off at 5 in the morning. Got up to go check it out and a homeless couple had put up a tent in my back yard and put their tent stake through my inground wire. If its a problem here it must be worsening everywhere. Can't imagine how bad the big cities must be.

Sponsored

rfranny

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2-dr
I admit to forgetting to lock my Jeep when I got home yesterday.

I come out to head to work this morning, and I open my driver's door to find my glovebox contents emptied onto my front seats. Nothing was taken, so that's good. Really the only things in my Jeep are the paperwork, owners manual, the Jeep toolkit, and a multi-tool. I don't think they looked in the back, as I have a large tool bag there.

But I feel a little violated.
I had my soft top cut open before Christmas a few years ago. Cost me a $500 deductible for them to snag a $10 pair of sunglasses and my owner’s manual. I just don’t lock my doors anymore after that happened.

pyrowolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Sahara
Also know that just because it is a crime, that does not mean that you will be prosecuted.
I am well aware. However there is a vast difference between personal liability and criminal liability. The original poster was attempting to absolve themselves of personal liability by insinuating that a criminal suing them was an indefensible position. Case law clearly says otherwise regardless of criminal prosecution.

Hell in California you can burn down cities and shit in the street and not get charged for the crimes.
Nice bait, but irrelevant.
Sponsored