MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Sure and what thief is going to report it. I was a cop for 20 years and no one ever reported the issue.

Consider that You may be legally liable for their injuries if this is true.
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Yes a few feet up... But there is a line in the law you do not want to cross. Get the attention of the crooks not major injury or death.

100% agree with the sentiment......but law is not on your side

The most famous case about booby traps is Katko v. Briney. Every law school student studies it.

In the early 1970s, Edward and Bertha Briney owned an old, abandoned farmhouse in Iowa. The house was boarded up and the couple had placed several “No Trespassing” signs outside. Despite that, the house was frequently broken into. So Edward Briney rigged a 20-gauge shotgun to fire whenever a certain bedroom door was opened in the house.

Marvin Katko entered the house to steal fruit jars and opened the booby-trapped door. The shotgun blasted his legs and put Katko in the hospital. He filed a lawsuit, Katko v. Briney, and won a $30,000 settlement (which would be about $200,000 in 2021 dollars).

Edward Briney was later asked if he’d do anything different, and he said he’d have aimed the gun a few feet higher. :LOL:

Don't do it....or at least don't post publicly that you would do it, and now have knowledge that it should not have been done.....one other consideration, it could be a first responder that goes in there while attempting to help you in an accident that knocked you unconscious, trying to locate a phone or contact info.....they are not going to be happy with you

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Some states have "stand your ground"
If they come onto my property and break into my rig …then rifle through my console? Lol. Good luck defending that position! Scumbags!!!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Most are taken simply for transportation. Don't leave your key fob inside with a push to start ignition. They will almost always try the push button when they get in, then you vehicle is gone.
How close does the key have to be to the Jeep? Mine is in my kitchen - roughly 15-20 feet away - and my Jeep won't start.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
you have to be really close for the proximity locks. I have a small yard and driveway is next to my house. I was worried about that. It seems like I need to be within 5 feet of my Jeep for them to work.
With the right gear they can hit your fob inside your house and repeat it back to the car.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
To me the bad thing about boobytraps is after you cut them or whatever some will really trash your Jeep then. Think of the aggravation of broken glass, cut seats, kicked in dash, etc.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
And they left you no little rubber Duck on the door handle... lock the doors and next time, maybe you will get a little duck..
Call me dumb but..... what is this duck thing I keep hearing about?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I hate a damn thief...
I worked almost 30 years in prisons. Everyone hates a thief even other convicts. They hate them more than sex offenders.

OP
OP
wandrur

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I now have two exterior, 90w floods. Unfortunately, they are wired to my front porch light, but that's better than nothing. Kind of annoying to have on all the time, though, so my neighbor and I are thinking of doing a motion sensor setup.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Please, people...

Lock your doors.

Your vehicle, your home, your garage.

It isn't difficult or time consuming. 🙄

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I admit to forgetting to lock my Jeep when I got home yesterday.

I come out to head to work this morning, and I open my driver's door to find my glovebox contents emptied onto my front seats. Nothing was taken, so that's good. Really the only things in my Jeep are the paperwork, owners manual, the Jeep toolkit, and a multi-tool. I don't think they looked in the back, as I have a large tool bag there.

But I feel a little violated.
You're lucky you didn't lock up that night but sorry that happened to you.

I came outside one morning to find my trucks passenger window busted out, damage to my door and door frame, and interior damage from whatever crude tools they used to bust in.

When I park in known smash-n-grab places I keep nothing of value in the vehicle and don't lock the doors. Smash-n-grabbers are not into vandalism per se, they just want to steal your stuff.

If they want to steal the car fine, I have insurance.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Some states have "stand your ground"
New York is an absolute joke. A criminals refuge. No castle doctrine, no right to defend, the "un"safe act, and now illegals and ex felons can get a driver's license and vote. And the illegals aren't obligated to gain citizenship. Other states, that actually care about their people and the future, are extending castle doctrine and right to defend to include their vehicles and, in some places, even their own personal space.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Please, people...

Lock your doors.

Your vehicle, your home, your garage.

It isn't difficult or time consuming. 🙄
Doors on Jeep are currently off so locking them does no good. I take the leave nothing of real value approach. I do live in small rural American town though so it's not a major issue but happens. Home and garage are locked along with mans best friend(s) always on watch!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Doors on Jeep are currently off so locking them does no good. I take the leave nothing of real value approach. I do live in small rural American town though so it's not a major issue but happens. Home and garage are locked along with mans best friend(s) always on watch!
True

Can't lock a door that isn't there.
Sponsored