Sponsored

Some dirt bag rifled through my Jeep last night

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I admit to forgetting to lock my Jeep when I got home yesterday.

I come out to head to work this morning, and I open my driver's door to find my glovebox contents emptied onto my front seats. Nothing was taken, so that's good. Really the only things in my Jeep are the paperwork, owners manual, the Jeep toolkit, and a multi-tool. I don't think they looked in the back, as I have a large tool bag there.

But I feel a little violated.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
And they left you no little rubber Duck on the door handle... lock the doors and next time, maybe you will get a little duck..

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Getting to be a pretty common thing. Drug habits ain’t cheap. They’re looking for electronics, guns, cash, high end sunglasses, laptops and anything else they can sell at a pawn shop or on OfferUp.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It's amazing in modern day America that we still have an active hunter-gather tribe, but they're everywhere, just trying every car door.

My sympathies - I lost an e-reader tablet that way from the Xterra in front of my house. I went inside for "just a few minutes", and didn't bother to lock my doors. That few minutes turned into 45 minutes, and when I got back to the truck, it had been pilfered.

I asked the neighbors, and sure enough, a couple had seen a car with "strangers" conspicuously and slowly cruising the street. I did call the police, since the station's walking distance away (maybe they would care about petty crime close to the station?), but the policeman that showed up, didn't even bother writing anything down.

I've never taken the rear doors off my Unlimited, but I do have tube doors on the front. At least the alarm will go off if a would-be thief opens the rear doors.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Man, I would have grabbed the toolkit at least.

At least on the sunny side they didn't break your windows trying to get the bag in the back. I think car thieves have gotten lazier over the years. Although the cops here have to keep warning people to stop putting firearms stickers all over their car, because duh, they will definitely break a window if there is a chance they'll get a gun out of it.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
My soft top Jeep is just way too easy to break into without even cutting anything. I park mine in the garage at my house, and in the backyard when I visit my folks. It isn't my Daily Driver, but when I do take it to work I just leave the doors unlocked and nothing of any value inside (even the silly toolkit).

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
At least on the sunny side they didn't break your windows trying to get the bag in the back. I think car thieves have gotten lazier over the years. Although the cops here have to keep warning people to stop putting firearms stickers all over their car, because duh, they will definitely break a window if there is a chance they'll get a gun out of it.
This. I had a car get broken into twice while I lived in an apartment. Both times they busted the window. What did they get? A backpack full of military uniforms and stinky boots, which I'm sure was promptly tossed in a dumpster. They also broke my stereo trying to steal it. So, basically they got nothing and I was out a couple thousand dollars and got my ass chewed out for going to work in tennis shoes.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
If you ever get the chance, buy a beer for an Auto theft detective, as they see the world in ways most of us could never understand. My wife’s Mazda was stolen from our driveway (in a nice suburban neighbourhood). The officer filled me in …

it seems that many cars are not chopped up or put on a container for the Middle East. In fact, they are often traded based on the amount of gas is in them, as thieves avoid gas stations (which have cameras). He also told me that the image of “Gone in 60 seconds” makes most people think thieves are savvy …. Most have little idea about cars.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Most are taken simply for transportation. Don't leave your key fob inside with a push to start ignition. They will almost always try the push button when they get in, then you vehicle is gone.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This. I had a car get broken into twice while I lived in an apartment. Both times they busted the window. What did they get? A backpack full of military uniforms and stinky boots, which I'm sure was promptly tossed in a dumpster. They also broke my stereo trying to steal it. So, basically they got nothing and I was out a couple thousand dollars and got my ass chewed out for going to work in tennis shoes.
That sucks. My buddy had his truck nicked so they could pull the bars off a store. He had a bunch of tools and gear secured in the back that they just threw out in a field. I think he got most of it back. Little jackasses pried open the window to their downstairs guest bedroom and grabbed the keys out of the living room. I showed up that morning to stay for a few nights, too bad they didn't wait a night. It took like 6 months for him to get his truck back from the police and body shop.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most are taken simply for transportation. Don't leave your key fob inside with a push to start ignition. They will almost always try the push button when they get in, then you vehicle is gone.
If you've got proximity locks and your Jeep is outside, you need to keep your key in something RF blocking. They'll just steal it out of your driveway using your key to open it and start it.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I meticulously placed razor blades in my center console with some very nice sunglasses laying at the bottom. When they reach in to grab them in the middle of the night they will be surprised when they realize they are drawing stubs back . Yeah there will be lots of blood, but I will gladly clean it up knowing they may have lost all their fingers!

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's amazing in modern day America that we still have an active hunter-gather tribe, but they're everywhere, just trying every car door.

My sympathies - I lost an e-reader tablet that way from the Xterra in front of my house. I went inside for "just a minute"
The other side of this small midwest town a fellow got his house cleaned out and his truck stolen. All while he was mowing the yard. The wife has orders to lock all doors even when we are home, not for our protection but any arseholes that want to decide they want to steal my shit. Right across the street a lady had a "visitor" while in the shower. Our doors are locked to keep lead poisoning to a minimum.
Sponsored