Some cleaning supplies

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
I may head out this weekend to an AutoZone or something to get some cleaning supplies. I haven't washed a car in like 7 years. Of all the products I had maybe my bucket is still the only good thing left.

What all should I buy?
Speficially for ...
  • Interior (I have cloth)
  • Exterior black plastic stuff (don't want it fading over time)
  • Cleaning soft top windows?
What else do I need? I literally don't own anything to clean this thing and I went off-roading last weekend.
I managed to get to a car wash but I had 2x 5 year old boys with me that I was trying to keep from getting run over by other cars. I basically let them take turns with the hose and every once in a while I took it and tried to get it clean.
But the parts I didn't get have had it baked on for over a week. I want to get it really clean this weekend (even though it's supposed to rain)

Should I be getting mud off at a car wash like that with a nice high-pressure hose and then doing the wash and rinse at my house?

dirty.jpg

cleaning.jpg
Sponsored

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK Sport - 2009 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Project Manager / Engineer
Get ready to empty your bank account on stuff if you are starting from scratch!

Here is my recommendation on products:

Highly recommend the two bucket wash method as poor washing habits are where the majority of the small swirls and scratches come from. See the following video from Chemical Guys:

Also, get a good coat of wax, repeating every 3 months, on your Jeep after you clean it. You may consider clay baring it before waxing to get any overspray or other grit out of the paint.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Adam polishes or chemical guys is all I use on my vehicles. Look them up it’s endless.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a bunch. How do you clean your microfiber towels? Do they just go in the regular laundry?
I sperate mine from regular laundry and wash them alone. I put mine on small load gentle cycle. I have front loaders and it's fast with minimal water. Chemical Guys also sell a wash detergent specifically for microfiber towels.

Sponsored

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I sperate mine from regular laundry and wash them alone. I put mine on small load gentle cycle. I have front loaders and it's fast with minimal water. Chemical Guys also sell a wash detergent specifically for microfiber towels.
+1

Wash separate as my wife complains about the smell on the regular laundry when she has washed them with the general load.:cwl:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Don’t use liquid or dryer sheet fabric softener on your car detailing towels, it leaves a residue. Also, a cup of white vinegar in the rinse helps strip away any wax or product residue.

Former professional detailer.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I always soak my detailing rags in Simple Green before washing them in the washer machine.

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Here is my recommendation on products:
A substantial amount of those were on sale today at AutoZone. Absorber XL was $2 off to bring it down to the price of the regular one. They didn't have the 303 spray but the wipes we're buy one get one free. They price matched Target on the Quick Detailer.

Got the body clean today was all I had time for with kids. Will do wheels and interior tomorrow.

Any suggestions for cleaning the painted part of the interior (i.e. the roll/sports bar) without using a hose or getting soap drip everywhere?
Same issue with all the black plastic in the trunk. I've been driving around with the top off for a while and it's got substantial dirt in the back.

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any suggestions for cleaning the painted part of the interior (i.e. the roll/sports bar) without using a hose or getting soap drip everywhere?
Same issue with all the black plastic in the trunk. I've been driving around with the top off for a while and it's got substantial dirt in the back.
The Meguiars Quick Detail spray and a microfiber towel will work for those areas, just keep the area real wet with the spray for the first wipe and keep flipping the towel. Use a clean towel after the grit is gone to wipe down the area and get rid of any streaks. I would not do this if there is mud or real substantial build up of dirt as you will likely scratch your clear.

The 303 will work great on wiping down the interior plastic parts, just keep flipping the towel.

Sponsored

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Okay... What to use on the steel bumpers?

Also... It seems impossible to get all the mud out of the bumper. I was at the wash with a nice high power hose there is what seems to be a big basin that has mud in it. I spray one side until it's clean and the other side gets dirty, back and forth.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I haven't washed my own car in a pretty long time, but I took the new JL through the local car wash once and that was it for me. It felt like the car wash was beating the hell out of my jeep. So, I went home and ordered: Chemical Guys HOL148 Bucket from Amazon and it worked out pretty well. The kit has a nice assortment of their products and a foam blaster that did a nice job. I wound up ordering several more of the products last weekend. It was actually nice to spend some time alone detailing my vehicle again, I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Once we get some decent weather up here in the northeast, I plan to do a light clay bar and seal the paint.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't washed my own car in a pretty long time, but I took the new JL through the local car wash once and that was it for me. It felt like the car wash was beating the hell out of my jeep. So, I went home and ordered: Chemical Guys HOL148 Bucket from Amazon and it worked out pretty well. The kit has a nice assortment of their products and a foam blaster that did a nice job. I wound up ordering several more of the products last weekend. It was actually nice to spend some time alone detailing my vehicle again, I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Once we get some decent weather up here in the northeast, I plan to do a light clay bar and seal the paint.
I didn't have the heart to put my Jeep through the car wash, only the spray one. So I went ahead and also stocked up on some chemical guys products. They also have a sale on the big mouth foam torq sprayer, worth the money imo. I did the C9 carbon flex treatment after I clayed mine. Chemical guys will send emails to let you know when they have good sales.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I didn't have the heart to put my Jeep through the car wash, only the spray one. So I went ahead and also stocked up on some chemical guys products. They also have a sale on the big mouth foam torq sprayer, worth the money imo. I did the C9 carbon flex treatment after I clayed mine. Chemical guys will send emails to let you know when they have good sales.
They had a pretty awesome sale going on for this: http://www.chemicalguys.com/TORQ_TORQX_Complete_Detailing_Kit_p/buf_209x.htm so I picked it up as well. I don't have a garage, (converted it into an office), so I have no idea where I will be putting all of these new goodies as they come in.
Sponsored