First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
It's a shame they don't have some kind of gathering like this for people who don't like large crowds.
Honestly, it wasn't very crowded. Lots of space and room to move. A good number of people were on the trail each day, morning and afternoon. That left plenty of space in all the exhibits.

Really enjoyed getting to drive all the new Jeep models and see the special builds in action, too. The final night with a live show with Smashmouth was crowded but hey, it's a concert.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

@ChaseW Chase, thanks for the honest review. In my mind I knew there would be things that I wouldn't like about the Bronco over, and above some of the things I don't like already, i.e. the rear cargo area isn't flat like the Jeep. Plus, as it looks right now Ford doesn't know how to get a decent top built. The hard top looks like chit, even the new one has it's problem. And now the soft top doesn't seem to be able to keep the weather out in high winds. There have been two reported occassions when snow was able to get inside of the vehicle when the winds were high.

Also, there's one thing that rattles around in my big ol' dumb head quite often. If Jeep can build me a vehicle in 8-12 weeks why in the hell can't Ford. We get nothing but excuses from Ford, while Jeep just keeps on building customer orders.
There are now reports that the soft top stitching may be coming apart or tearing out.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
There are now reports that the soft top stitching may be coming apart or tearing out.
Well ain't that something. I want to be suprised, but I just can't. I don't know who is in charge of this project, but heads need to roll.

Sponsored

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
You know, the demographics may have changed. I presume you mean: fewer real offroad enthusiasts and more people who just want Jeeps for the look and the idea of a Jeep, yeah? I don't know if that's the case, but if it IS the case, I certainly think that's something that offroaders should NOT like to see.
I know, John, lighten up, right? Devil's advocate: Jeep has to make legitimate offroad vehicles, because a high enough percentage of its customer base takes them to hard trails, beats the hell out of them, knows what is really required for offroading, and demands that. Jeep is incentivized to build it.
BUT, if fewer and fewer of us do that, and we reach a threshold where only a tiny minority of people actually take their vehicles to those places and do those things that require a legit offroad machine, Jeep will stop making it. It's just capitalism.
Now, I am not saying we are at that point; quite the contrary: the JL Roob is an upgrade in offroad capability from previous Roobs, as I understand it, and that demonstrates that we are not moving away from offroad focus, yet. Thank God. But IF more and more people only care about the look and the idea of a Jeep, and focus on things like infotainment systems and cushy seats, and fewer and fewer people actually go out and Jeep, then Jeep will stop making real Jeeps.
Every time I see people driving Jeeps and never offroading them, every time I see people talking about Jeeps and not mentioning offroading or only adding it as an afterthought... somewhere inside, I think, "these are the people who ultimately will lead to Jeeps not being Jeeps."
I know; lighten up. You're right. But I'm not wrong.
"You're not wrong, Walter--you're just an a$$hole!"
Love, beer and Jeeps for all. Peace. :)
While I get where you are coming from I don’t see any reason to be worried. The entire marketing philosophy behind the Jeep is it’s off-roading capability.

I hate to burst your bubble but owners that off road their jeeps are already in the minority. All these New owners are a good thing as it brings more money to Jeep. More money coming from this model means more money for development of future models and new variations.

As far as a cars use case goes, that is purely up to the owner. There is no overall right answer just personal opinions. Saying you shouldn’t own a Jeep because you don’t off road is the same as saying owning a sports car and not tracking makes it pointless. Which 99% of sports car owners fit into. A well engineered vehicle can be enjoyed in multiple scenarios and use cases.

I really enjoy off roading my Jeep but that is not it’s main use case for me. My nearest off-roading area is over an hour away and with my schedule makes it very rare that I can enjoy that aspect. What I can enjoy everyday though is it’s presence, removable top, doors, and Jeep comradery that is unique to Jeep.

There is no right or wrong answer. We should welcome all future owners as it will only provide more potential options in our future.

Last edited:

RobC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 2 Door
This was a great write-up and exactly what I expected. I was fully on board with the Bronco hype and still have two early reservations that I have converted to orders. I still have no idea when they will show up, but between all the delays and quality issues, I am not really even interested anymore. If I can use one to get a Raptor version, that would be great. Otherwise I will probably cancel.

I have a Rubicon 392 on order and that will probably make me forget the Broncos altogether.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Ford is just doing their best to improve Bestop's business. Saw the one that TFL had put on their Bronco, and I have to say it looks WAY better than the Ford offering.

When Lite Bright got theirs and drove it home in high winds with the top lifting up and leaving a large patch of daylight their whole trip, I knew Ford was in for some ribbing. It's obvious that a snowy wind storm could blow snow through that monster hole.

I want to like the Bronco, I own an ecoboost PP Mustang. I like the 2.3 turbo motor with a manual. The idea of a 7 speed manual with the crawl gear and the rear locker really hit my radar (Black Diamond). We considered a Bronco 2 door (little larger inside) since I believe the Bronco will be a better road car with the rack and pinion (commuting duty). But with 19 MPG as a high value with a 2.3L, and a curb weight of a Black Diamond 4 cylinder at 4587 lbs, it makes no sense. 4800 lbs for a 2.7. Yeah, it's a brick, and it's a heavy brick. That much weight with the 2.3 will mean it's in boost a lot. And I don't care what they say about it running on 87 octane, it's a high boost, relatively high compression motor, turbo boost adds a LOT of cylinder pressure, and I own one. 87 octane neuters it. 91 octane is the minimum to get mine to run (~340WHP) and 94 or better wakes it up a lot (378WHP, 422TQ). Yes, mine is tuned up a little, but it's bolt-ons and a custom $1000 tune (2 days of dyno and road work by a former GM powertrain engineer). I really like the 2.3, but not in a 4600 lb vehicle.

He said the Ford motor is very susceptible to pulling spark and adding fuel with lower octane which it does to protect itself, as you'd expect. There is no free lunch, the only way small motors make power is with boost, which is cylinder pressure. High cylinder pressure requires higher octane fuel.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is just doing their best to improve Bestop's business. Saw the one that TFL had put on their Bronco, and I have to say it looks WAY better than the Ford offering.
The Bronco hardtop costs $7,000 if you want to buy it afterwards!!!

That alone creates an amazing business opportunity for Bestop,

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
The Bronco hardtop costs $7,000 if you want to buy it afterwards!!!

That alone creates an amazing business opportunity for Bestop,
Agreed! We were shopping a hard top 2-door. But, wife doesn't like it as much, the lead times were insane, and market adjustment is a thing here. The creaking/squeaking/rattling top thing would have made us crazy.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
One thing i would want is basically a 2-door buggy with big tires, manual transmission and upgraded stereo in which case i think Ford offers better value.

I price out a base 2-dr Bronco with sasquatch and nothing else at $38K and a 2-dr Sport S with Alpine at $36K.

I have to imagine that upgrading the Sport S to 35" tire set up is a whole lot more expensive than aftermarket audio on the Bronco.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One thing i would want is basically a 2-door buggy with big tires, manual transmission and upgraded stereo in which case i think Ford offers better value.

I price out a base 2-dr Bronco with sasquatch and nothing else at $38K and a 2-dr Sport S with Alpine at $36K.

I have to imagine that upgrading the Sport S to 35" tire set up is a whole lot more expensive than aftermarket audio on the Bronco.
I don’t know. I’ve seen lots of people complain over and over about Bronco’s dismal audio quality, even with the top-of-the-line system.

The words garbage and absolute crap come up regularly...

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

My two-door Rubicon is <$40k. My two-door Bronco Badlands (equivalent to Rubicon) was >$46k. I didn't want to pay more for the upgraded stereo in the Bronco, which required the "Lux" package, which one of only two options I wanted, stereo and tow package (tow package was constrained, meaning it couldn't be built and the upgraded stereo pushed the built to just under $50k; both options are part of my Rubicon order at $39.8k).

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don’t know. I’ve seen lots of people complain over and over about Bronco’s dismal audio system, even with the top-of-the-line system.

The words garbage and absolute crap come up regularly...
Yep, their speaker placement means either going full-custom, or live with poor audio even with the upgraded B&O system.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
My two-door Rubicon is <$40k. My two-door Bronco Badlands (equivalent to Rubicon) was >$46k. I didn't want to pay more for the upgraded stereo in the Bronco, which required the "Lux" package, which one of only two options I wanted, stereo and tow package (tow package was constrained, meaning it couldn't be built and the upgraded stereo pushed the built to just under $50k; both options are part of my Rubicon order at $39.8k).
How? on the jeep website they start at $40,795 then you have to add the $1,595 for delivery so you're at $42K before you check any boxes.
Sponsored