Sold Jeep to Carvana today

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
lol how is your 2020 worth less than my 2018?
Lololol good question! Guess it goes along the lines of proving it’s a bunch of nonsense??
Sponsored

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
If you would have bought your Rubi for $38500 would you do it then?
Well, my point in my post was that it was nonsense. My truck is clearly worth more than a $38k truck, hence the $61k sticker and my $54k final price before tax. I posted what I did, to show the actual numbers don’t actually come up to making $ selling a car to carvana. What OP isn’t telling all of us is the actual numbers with a screen shot like mine. If any of us have purchased several vehicles in our lifetimes, we all know the vehicle depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot when buying new. If you’re asking IF carvana had come up with a $64k offer to buy my truck, sure I think we ALL would do that. That just won’t happen.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
My experience with these is it is hit or miss and really depends on the car, zip code and their need for inventory. We tried selling my sons car this week to one of these. Carvana was $1000 (15% less) less than Carmax. Unless someone got a smoking deal and Carvana just happens to need your exact model I bet the next 100 JL owners that go onto Carvana and get a quote won’t get close to what they paid. You my friend caught a unicorn.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
That's the thing though, they really are paying out the high estimates. I don't know why yours is lower than mine but I know if I went through with it they'd make good on their offer.

Lololol good question! Guess it goes along the lines of proving it’s a bunch of nonsense??

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I learned long ago that you don't want to read forums before you decide on a vehicle. They are all scary.
SERIOUSLY....I might be the forum whisperer....spent more time on Land Cruiser, Range Rover, BMW, Jaguar, Mustang, Golf R, Porsche, Vanagon, Ram, TDI, and Overlanding forums that I care to admit. After a while, you get a sense for what the real issues are and what is just noise...

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, my point in my post was that it was nonsense. My truck is clearly worth more than a $38k truck, hence the $61k sticker and my $54k final price before tax. I posted what I did, to show the actual numbers don’t actually come up to making $ selling a car to carvana. What OP isn’t telling all of us is the actual numbers with a screen shot like mine. If any of us have purchased several vehicles in our lifetimes, we all know the vehicle depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot when buying new. If you’re asking IF carvana had come up with a $64k offer to buy my truck, sure I think we ALL would do that. That just won’t happen.
I was just asking as I bought my JLUR for $38,500 and they revised their offer to me for $44,500. Torn on what to do, with the equity I have in it we can make some money.

CBA60D55-CA83-4D5D-A59A-5B1712DA549A.png

HammerTime

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler, 2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I bought my 2020 JL Rubicon MSRP $45.5K for $41.5K 3 months ago. (CA adds their share so my OTD price was MSRP... Grrr!) I see many JL and JLUs for 3-5K off MSRP around SoCal right now. If the original poster bought his JLU used and at a great price then for sure I believe he could came out unscathed. (unless he paid state sales tax and stupid registration fees like here in CA... That adds 10% to the sale price!)
To be honest I am glad you got out of your JL. Life is too short to feel regrets over such choices. Owning a Jeep JL is a compromise that only makes sense to a group of people who love getting off road regularly and not just dirt forest roads. Really off road and into places that most vehicles you can drive on-road can't go.

But if you never use it off road it's a bad compromise as a daily driver.

A JL is 100% the right choice for someone off-roading every weekend or a couple times a month.

A JL is 100% the wrong choice for someone never off-roading. They may look cool as Mall Crawlers but that's about it.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I did a nationwide search and they are short on JL’s for sure. Quite a few JK’s though.

My brother in law bought two cars from them and he was happy.

I told my neighbor about this thread last week, he is at the Carvana dealer right now handing in his 2020 Equinox. Got $300 more than he paid for it and put 21k miles on it. He missed his truck so he took their deal.

Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Jesus Christ, so many feelings in this thread.

At the risk of being the asshole who's comments are on topic, I'm selling/trading in my Challenger Hellcat next week. The Carvana offer was $5000 less than the TrueCar offer. Time will tell if the Truecar participating dealers actually make good on the offer but, if they do, it'll be a fair price and within $1-2k of what I expected I would see selling private party. For the convenience, that's a fair trade-off. The Carvana offer was not.

Just to note for anyone looking to sell, also take a look at Truecar. If the participating dealer doesn't make good on the offer on Monday, I'll post up for anyone interested.
Update: the TrueCar dealership didn't honor the TrueCar estimate, which was about $3k over the NADA and KBB trade-in values. They did, however, split the difference and offered $1500 under the TrueCar offer. I took that offer to my Jeep dealership and they were willing to match, so I'm happy. I basically got $1500 over trade-in value for very little effort.

Just another option for folks looking to trade/sell/move on from their current ride.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
More importantly, how many Marmots did they have?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much says it all:

Untitled.jpg
Sponsored