swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes trade is better offer depending on situation. Tax break helps offset here in Texas. So, my next vehicle I will have to pay full 6.25 tax. No free lunch for anyone.
If you're buying from a dealer in TX you can have the dealer do an "in an out" on your next sale, I've done it for my last few buy/sells but it requires someone buying a car from the dealer. They can buy your "old" car as a trade in then sell it to the private buyer you found elsewhere, then sell you the dealer car. This'll let you get full private party value while alleviating the tax burden of selling a car and buying a car without a trade in.

I live in CO now and I'm baked so hopefully I'm explaining this well, it might not be perfect, I haven't dealt with it since i bought my JL.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RLion

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
If you're buying from a dealer in TX you can have the dealer do an "in an out" on your next sale, I've done it for my last few buy/sells but it requires someone buying a car from the dealer. They can buy your "old" car as a trade in then sell it to the private buyer you found elsewhere, then sell you your car.

It'll skip that tax burden.

I live in CO now and I'm baked so hopefully I'm explaining this well.
Yeah, I tried. This situation was the best deal I could possibly get. Good tip though

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Interesting thread. In my experience, with every [insert car/truck name] forum the worst [insert car/truck name] is the [insert car/truck name] that is the subject of that forum. Every single time. Folks log on to complain and you often start "searching" for "issues" that otherwise don't exist or don't matter because you saw someone on a forum complain about it at 3am on a Thursday. It's how the internet has worked with cars/trucks for the past 20 years and it'll be how it works with cars/trucks for the next 20 years (provided there's a next 20 years).

That being said, I think it's abundantly obvious the JL wasn't for you and you likely made the best decision for yourself. So, good on you for realizing that.

Kind of a shame you need to come on here to reap some manner of approval or confirmation bias, but hey, forums exist for that very reason.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
No way in hell could I sell that Jeep for 2-3k more than I paid new privately stock.
I made a typo initially there. I meant that they bought it from me for $x and they sold it for $x+3000. I could've gotten $x+2000 if I sold it privately, .probably.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
This is slowly turning into a Carvana add.
Read the original post forward, backwards or upside down....... no doubt it's a Carvana add. Thats one or the last places I would consider buying a vehicle.

Sponsored

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Hello Jeepers, I just wanted to thank this community for educating me during my very short term ownerships of new JLU Sport S. I bought my Jeep around the covid madness. I have owned 2 other Jeeps but never been into forums. However, I did learn about this forum after buying my JLU and due to multiple things going on in life, we have just started changing our priorities financially speaking like many others. I was just about to upgrade tires and wheels, among other things that make owning a Jeep fun. I'm glad I saved my money and left it stock. I began reading all the issues on this forum and honestly I've never seen a vehicle platform so new with so many issues. I know I will get labeled as a troll or whatever and that's fine. I'm not here to be negative or condescending in anyway towards this community. I wrote this in hopes to help others who want to unload vehicle due to issues, dealership nightmares, etc... .

Due to covid, Carvana like many others need more inventory. I was lucky and blessed to get offered literally what I paid for my Jeep. I could not believe it. I compared to Vroom, Carmax, trade. Vroom offered $3500 less, Carmax even worse, trade even worse. I'm in a fortunate situation where i don't have to make a decision today what I buy to replace Jeep. But they came to my house this morning and drove Jeep around block, signed papers, handed me check. Debt free and plenty left since I had plenty of equity.

I will always love Jeeps, but at this time in my life I just don't NEED one. Take care and if you have any questions about my experience I'd be happy to help.
I often find the same with wranglers, it really is amazing selling a car for close to what you paid (I have had a lot of them). I do agree with you about Jeep Wrangler problems, at least in my experience they have been really reliable and so easy to work on and fix. only high cost with wranglers is with modding them out which becomes a bit of an addiction.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Holy hotdogs, You should have taken the car instead of the cash... can you imagine what carvana would have paid for that Wienermobile!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Thatā€™s nothing. I saved a bunch of money switching to Popular Insurance Company due to covid. I check other national chain and other national chain did not meet my expectation of value. Covid means less pay out for insurance and lower rate.
Was it a 15min call to save you 15% or more on car insurance? Hope you did it first thing in the morning since thereā€™s nothing quite like waking up with ā€œx brand coffeeā€ in your cup.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
@JEEPIDON

You are dreaming if you actaully think "most owners don't have any issues"... Absolutely, Laughable to think/believe that.

Reality is there has not been a JL built that doesn't have an issue. It's as simple as that.

Anyone that says they have had no issue with their JL is clueless, lets say, plain and simple

I'll say no more or nor will I get into any discussions regarding what I just stated.
Thanks for calling me a liar. I did take them both back for recalls but didnā€˜t have death wobble before or after, no disappearing off road pages, no wandering with steering, nope....no issues. Donā€™t care about the key fob size because I actually evaluated that during the test drive, didnā€™t bitch afterward. No sqeeks, rattles, or rust around the hinges. Also didnā€™t screw with the electronics. So itā€™s pretty laughable to think you know my experiences. I find making speculative accusations pretty clueless yourself, plain and simple.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Of course I'm happy. My wife is gorgeous, works full time, still cleans, cooks and doesn't complain. I magically have a Jeep that somehow doesn't have a single issue despite being the worst vehicle ever made and thanks to your courtesy Carvana actually offered full MSRP on this garbage Jeep because apparently JLs are rare enough that used is priced the exact same as new.

Why would I lie? This is the internet. Of course it's true.
How could you and I be the only ones not to have problems? Probably because the majority of owners donā€™t have problems?!

The OP got what he was looking for....trolling and stirring the shit pot.

im going to go have a drink in honor of our Jeeps JL. Cheers!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
To be honest I am glad you got out of your JL. Life is too short to feel regrets over such choices. Owning a Jeep JL is a compromise that only makes sense to a group of people who love getting off road regularly and not just dirt forest roads. Really off road and into places that most vehicles you can drive on-road can't go.

But if you never use it off road it's a bad compromise as a daily driver.

A JL is 100% the right choice for someone off-roading every weekend or a couple times a month.

A JL is 100% the wrong choice for someone never off-roading. They may look cool as Mall Crawlers but that's about it.
I may be crazy but I drive a JLUR as a company vehicle and love it. Got it because itā€™s a lot of fun to drive vs. a regular SUV. The majority on this forum say if you donā€™t off-road youā€™re just another mall crawler. I just love driving mine and think sometimes people need to consider that there are other reasons for owning a wrangler. Best summer vehicle with doors and top off, as well as a great vehicle to have when winter throws a bunch of snow around. No other vehicle can do that.
Sponsored