Sponsored

Software fix to suppress check engine light?!?

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Hi all,

First time poster, and sadly out of desperation; hoping others can advise about my situation. I owned a JKU Sahara and LOVED it - zero problems. Then I bought a fully loaded 2-door 2019 Wrangler Rubicon, and it's been in the shop for over four of my first six weeks of ownership for various start/stop and check engine light warnings. They've already swapped various parts and we were waiting for a new intake manifold, which was not due to arrive until late May, although I was told it was being expedited. This was of course frustrating, and I sent Jeep a letter asking them to buy it back in view of the lack of an ETA and my state's lemon laws. I'm also worried about whether my JL is safe to drive, in view of some others' stories on this forum with similar problems. Roughly 24 hours after I sent the letter, I was told that the dealership has implemented a "flash update" to the software and "will be testing to make sure 100% before the vehicle is returned to you that the light does not return." They tell me the repair we were waiting for is no longer necessary. I'm deeply concerned that Jeep is merely suppressing the warning lights rather than addressing the problem. Has anyone else encountered this situation? Honestly, I wish I had never bought this Jeep. I'm making payments on a $48k JL while driving a minivan loaner vehicle and incurring over $100/week of unnecessary parking charges because my work parking permit is strictly tied to my specific vehicle. Now, I'm worried that I'll be handed the keys to a Jeep that is not safe to drive. I really wish Jeep would just make this right and admit this is a lemon. I suppose if I can stomach the $$$ loss I'll be forced to trade it in on a reliable vehicle of some sort - maybe another JK! In any event, any insight from the community welcome!

Thanks,
Phil
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Welcome Phil. Sorry about the troubles you’ve having with your brand new Jeep, that sucks.

I don’t know anything about the specifics of the issue with your vehicle or the repair, but I’m doubtful that they’d simply reset the check engine light and give it back to you as repaired. For one, you’d likely still have the same symptoms or they’d come back soon. The issue would return and trigger the check engine light again.

What specifically is making it “unsafe to drive” in its current condition?

OP
OP
philjw

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Thanks for the reply! My safety concern is that others on the forum have described similar problems that led to the Jeep refusing to move without returning to park, which could be very dangerous a merging situation, for example. I'm also just confused as to how the problem could be severe enough to make me wait for weeks without my new vehicle only to suddenly be "fixed" with a software tweak immediately after I complained about the fact that I only got to drive my JL for less than two weeks before it entered the shop for a month+ while I drove a minivan :(

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Did you like the color of the mini van? LOL Kidding. Sometimes it's good to laugh. Seriously though, I dont think Jeep would do a software 'fix' just for your jeep in order to avoid the lemon law. Likely it is legit. I would however still see if you could sell it back. Does it still qualify for that law?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is this a 2.0T or 3.6?

Either way if it drives fine I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. CEL's for reasons other than not being able to maintain stoich or proper timing drive me mad

Sponsored

OP
OP
philjw

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Is this a 2.0T or 3.6?

Either way if it drives fine I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. CEL's for reasons other than not being able to maintain stoich or proper timing drive me mad
It's the 2.0T, which I was told would be better than the 3.6 in my JKU... As for how it drives, I have no idea, as the dealer still has it.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I can give one example. A number of us had issues with the odometer going to 99999999 and then back to correct mileage after a few miles of driving. The initial fix from jeep was to replace the entire instrument cluster. After a few months of I am sure engineers looking into it, it happened to me and it was merely a software update. Sometimes it just takes better engineers than the dealer techs to diagnose the problem and get a fix prepared.

OP
OP
philjw

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Well, I can give one example. A number of us had issues with the odometer going to 99999999 and then back to correct mileage after a few miles of driving. The initial fix from jeep was to replace the entire instrument cluster. After a few months of I am sure engineers looking into it, it happened to me and it was merely a software update. Sometimes it just takes better engineers than the dealer techs to diagnose the problem and get a fix prepared.
That's a great point, but my confusion here is that the Jeep engineers were involved from day 1 (a month ago) because the dealership claimed never to have seen my error code before, and those engineers were the ones directing the part replacements. As far as I can tell, the software tweak was a dealer-initiated repair made to the surprise of the corporate folks, and it is being described to me as a fix to prevent the check engine light from coming back on. Maybe there's more going on, but it's certainly not being communicated to me. Moreover, Jeep has yet to issue anything resembling an apology for this mess, which seems like step one in the customer service manual. I can guarantee you I'd be far less frustrated at this point if the Jeep representatives had started out expressing some sympathy for my situation and apologizing for the inconvenience.

JLRuss

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I took delivery of my 2019 a week ago and made it less than 200 miles before a check engine light for code P0456 small evap leak. My dealership got it fixed quickly. In my case it ended up being pins that were not seated correctly in a connector (Star case S18250000025). There was not an actual leak anywhere. Talking with my service advisor, he said a lot of the codes he's seeing on the JL's are related to connectors or software issues, rather than true mechanical issues, so I would think it's certainly possible a software update could fix your problems.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
That's a great point, but my confusion here is that the Jeep engineers were involved from day 1 (a month ago) because the dealership claimed never to have seen my error code before, and those engineers were the ones directing the part replacements. As far as I can tell, the software tweak was a dealer-initiated repair made to the surprise of the corporate folks, and it is being described to me as a fix to prevent the check engine light from coming back on. Maybe there's more going on, but it's certainly not being communicated to me. Moreover, Jeep has yet to issue anything resembling an apology for this mess, which seems like step one in the customer service manual. I can guarantee you I'd be far less frustrated at this point if the Jeep representatives had started out expressing some sympathy for my situation and apologizing for the inconvenience.
Bug/software fixes are not immediate, or even easily recognized at first. I've been in the IT field for 23 years now. I've seen a lot of fixes/patches. If you throw a fix/patch on something without testing it first, it could make things worse. They may have been working on it for a while, or for yours and it took a while.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If it’s an apology you want, tag @JeepCares. A representative will post here in the thread apologizing to you for you inconvenience and you’ll be asked to PM them with your information so that they can assure that Jeep is on top of things and get working on a solution to fix your issue right away.

OP
OP
philjw

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
If it’s an apology you want, tag @JeepCares. A representative will post here in the thread apologizing to you for you inconvenience and you’ll be asked to PM them with your information so that they can assure that Jeep is on top of things and get working on a solution to fix your issue right away.
They're already involved. I have a case number and have exchanged numerous emails and phone calls. I suppose if I asked point blank for an apology, they'd give it, but the tone has already been set. My point is just that some sympathy upfront (weeks ago) would have gone a long way.

OP
OP
philjw

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Did you like the color of the mini van? LOL Kidding. Sometimes it's good to laugh. Seriously though, I dont think Jeep would do a software 'fix' just for your jeep in order to avoid the lemon law. Likely it is legit. I would however still see if you could sell it back. Does it still qualify for that law?
Trust me, my wife and friends have had many laughs regarding the minivan! And me too, if I'm honest... ;) Hoping Jeep will still buy it back at the end of the day. I took delivery on March 8; it was down for the count by March 20; and so it remains.

Edited to add images highlighting the contrast, lol :) In fairness, I've had a few different loaners, but that particular minivan was with me for a week or so.
IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg

Last edited:

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Trust me, my wife and friends have had many laughs regarding the minivan! And me too, if I'm honest... ;) Hoping Jeep will still buy it back at the end of the day. I took delivery on March 8; it was down for the count by March 20; and so it remains.

Edited to add images highlighting the contrast, lol :) In fairness, I've had a few different loaners, but that particular minivan was with me for a week or so.
IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg
Dude, I bet you get laid all day long in that bad boy!! Panties drop when you drive by huh!!! LOL HA HA HA.

OP
OP
philjw

philjw

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Talking with my service advisor, he said a lot of the codes he's seeing on the JL's are related to connectors or software issues, rather than true mechanical issues, so I would think it's certainly possible a software update could fix your problems.
Well - breaking development - they are now going to replace the intake manifold as well (apparently arrived today), so hopefully the combination of repairs is a success. We shall see...
Sponsored