Sponsored

Softtop JLUS upgrading to hardtop JLUR spring/shock question...

mbartelt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Ok, I've already read most all of the threads regarding upgrading the Sahara to Rubicon springs and shocks. I haven't seen this addressed.

I have a JLUS with soft top and tow package. I just got Rubicon Springs and Shocks from a JLUR with hardtop and the tow package. I also bought the Teraflex 1/2" spacers and the longer Mopar LCAs.

Questions:

Anyone know (or willing to assume) that I'll still have significant rake after the install?

I am assuming this should be sufficient to temporarily put 35's on while I save up for a proper lift?

Any insight or whatever you want to say is fine.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sounds like a good plan, are you adding the spacers only in front?

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I don’t believe the rake is any different with the rubi springs, just the spring rate. I would put the 1/2” spacer in the front with the new setup. The rubicons only look like there is no rake because of the different front fenders.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don’t believe the rake is any different with the rubi springs, just the spring rate. I would put the 1/2” spacer in the front with the new setup. The rubicons only look like there is no rake because of the different front fenders.
Here's my before & after (just Rubi swap, no extra spacing), not really noticing much rake in either pic, maybe it's not as prevalent in the 2drs???
Seems like many have added a small spacer just in front so that's what I thought @mbartelt was wanting to do, especially if he plans to add a bumper/winch down the road.

100_4023-jpg.jpg

img_0253-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
mbartelt

mbartelt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Seems like many have added a small spacer just in front so that's what I thought @mbartelt was wanting to do, especially if he plans to add a bumper/winch down the road.
A lot of people have been putting the 1/2" spacers on front and rear, I was really just wondering if putting full Rubicon springs and shocks from a hardtop would give me unwanted lift in the rear of a soft top, but I guess I'm going to have to just find out myself.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A lot of people have been putting the 1/2" spacers on front and rear, I was really just wondering if putting full Rubicon springs and shocks from a hardtop would give me unwanted lift in the rear of a soft top, but I guess I'm going to have to just find out myself.
Since you're planning on 35s I'd probably add that extra 1/2" all around, you'll probably need it.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'd guess you're going to have extra height in back and won't want that spacer in the rear given hardtop and tow package should add weight mostly in the rear.
What are your current spring part numbers and what are the new ones? That will help decide. If you're going up like 3 numbers in the front and 5 in the rear, put the spacer up front only. But if it's 3 and 4 or 3 and 3, then maybe put in both.
I went up 3 in front and 4 in the rear and that gave me the same rake as I had prior to the lift.
Sponsored