Softop owners could you help those waiting

Justarose

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon
Can someone get me the dimensions of the rear window of the soft top window ? It will at least give me something to do while I wait for mine to arrive. I am searching for Portfolio cases that fit it without folding it. Thanks
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The soft rear window most approximates an Isosceles Trapezoid. That's "fancy speak" for one of these:

Isosceles trapezoid.jpg

It's top horizontal segment is about 50 1/2", its bottom about 56 1/2" and either of its adjacent sizes has a length of around 23". It rises about 22" if you measure closest to the driver's or passenger's side where there resides a slightly longer flap of material that tucks in. My measurements are against the Premium Soft Top: I can't imagine the basic soft top's measurements deviate much, if at all, from this.

The dotted link in the picture above measures around 21", not accounting for the length of this line that extends beyond the Isosceles Trapezoid as shown.

As you may know, when ordering the Dual Top Option, the package comes with a Premium Soft Top in a humongous box that occupies, at least for the Unlimited, the entire area behind the front seats, and that's with the back seats folded down.

Inside this humongous box resides smaller boxes, one of which holds the 3 soft windows. It measures 25" H X 3 11/16" W X 57 3/8" D. That might be a good measure for the size of a case to hold the windows flat, although you might want to increase the depth a bit if you plan on putting some soft layers between the windows to minimizes scratches.

I hope those are precise answers to your questions. Now for some editorial.

IMHO, for most people, the ability to find a case in the marketplace the sizes quoted above might best suggest that you wait for FCA to finally deliver their soft top window storage bag, and until then, lay the windows flat in the cargo area (and maybe put the back seats down) between soft layers of cushion if you want to be careful.

I say this because you could probably fit into a phone booth (remember them?) the number of Wrangler owners who have said, "gee, I just have so much money for accessories for my Wrangler relative to the things that are available to buy for it!"

Point being that you may (many owners might) want to spend your accessory budget on other things, first. Then again, it's your money and your priorities.

As an aide, I enjoy making Wrangler Hacks that others with "less than master craftsman skill" or big budgets can replicate. I'm finishing my roof rack (in the DIY section of the forum) and have 2 projects on the list I want to attempt. One, if it works (and knowing me not only will the first 5 attempts fail, but the fire department will be called on at least 2;)) will allow the hard Freedom Panels (not in your wheelhouse) slide back, and the second involves the use of big box store protective film, clear and opaque, to try to recreate all 3 back soft windows that allow them to collapse, along with the soft top in fully open position, without removal.

So maybe I can come up with something that allows you to leave the soft windows home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justarose

Justarose

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon
The soft rear window most approximates an Isosceles Trapezoid. That's "fancy speak" for one of these:

Isosceles trapezoid.jpg

It's top horizontal segment is about 50 1/2", its bottom about 56 1/2" and either of its adjacent sizes has a length of around 23". It rises about 22" if you measure closest to the driver's or passenger's side where there resides a slightly longer flap of material that tucks in. My measurements are against the Premium Soft Top: I can't imagine the basic soft top's measurements deviate much, if at all, from this.

The dotted link in the picture above measures around 21", not accounting for the length of this line that extends beyond the Isosceles Trapezoid as shown.

As you may know, when ordering the Dual Top Option, the package comes with a Premium Soft Top in a humongous box that occupies, at least for the Unlimited, the entire area behind the front seats, and that's with the back seats folded down.

Inside this humongous box resides smaller boxes, one of which holds the 3 soft windows. It measures 25" H X 3 11/16" W X 57 3/8" D. That might be a good measure for the size of a case to hold the windows flat, although you might want to increase the depth a bit if you plan on putting some soft layers between the windows to minimizes scratches.

I hope those are precise answers to your questions. Now for some editorial.

IMHO, for most people, the ability to find a case in the marketplace the sizes quoted above might best suggest that you wait for FCA to finally deliver their soft top window storage bag, and until then, lay the windows flat in the cargo area (and maybe put the back seats down) between soft layers of cushion if you want to be careful.

I say this because you could probably fit into a phone booth (remember them?) the number of Wrangler owners who have said, "gee, I just have so much money for accessories for my Wrangler relative to the things that are available to buy for it!"

Point being that you may (many owners might) want to spend your accessory budget on other things, first. Then again, it's your money and your priorities.

As an aide, I enjoy making Wrangler Hacks that others with "less than master craftsman skill" or big budgets can replicate. I'm finishing my roof rack (in the DIY section of the forum) and have 2 projects on the list I want to attempt. One, if it works (and knowing me not only will the first 5 attempts fail, but the fire department will be called on at least 2;)) will allow the hard Freedom Panels (not in your wheelhouse) slide back, and the second involves the use of big box store protective film, clear and opaque, to try to recreate all 3 back soft windows that allow them to collapse, along with the soft top in fully open position, without removal.

So maybe I can come up with something that allows you to leave the soft windows home.
Thanks So much now I have all the info I need to even have one made from a local shop that does covers and cases. Well Done!
Sponsored