Softening the ride for daily driving

PeterKH

First Name
PeterKH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys 2020
I went from Rubi red shocks to the JT Gladiator Rubicon oem Fox shocks. The ride is a whole lot softer, maybe even too soft for some.
How did you fit the rear JT Red Shocks into JL ? As i know the Rear JT shocks can't fit JL.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara shocks are softer (i.e lower spring load rate)
If you want to lift - Dynatrac 2" lift is the softest riding spring.. Synergy 2" coils for 2dr are also very plush.

Softer doesn't mean better. The sahara springs compress so much at turns. it gives a very wobbly ride and cant go hard on turns without feeling like you are going to topple
Subash, I have always found this topic interesting. My wife has a Sahara. Her build sheet says “Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks.”

To this day, I have yet to find, or have anyone present, documentation that the Sahara shocks are softer than the other models. Also, when stock, her Sahara felt exactly the same to both of us, when compared to my previous Sport and my current Rubicon (all four are JLUs). If you’ve run across any documentation, other than folks saying so on forums, I would love to see it! Thank you!

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
How did you fit the rear JT Red Shocks into JL ? As i know the Rear JT shocks can't fit JL.
I changed the rear shocks upper mounts for JL ones. That part is available at the dealer parts dept.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Subash, I have always found this topic interesting. My wife has a Sahara. Her build sheet says “Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks.”

To this day, I have yet to find, or have anyone present, documentation that the Sahara shocks are softer than the other models. Also, when stock, her Sahara felt exactly the same to both of us, when compared to my previous Sport and my current Rubicon (all four are JLUs). If you’ve run across any documentation, other than folks saying so on forums, I would love to see it! Thank you!
I can attest, after having owned four JK Saharas and five Rubicons, that the Sahara suspension is indeed softer. I noticed it especially after I had spent months driving a Rubicon and went back to a Sahara.

But, like you, I haven’t been able to determine over the years, what each set of shocks really is exactly. Jeep uses this marketing mambo-jumbo and leaves it at that.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I changed the rear shocks upper mounts for JL ones. That part is available at the dealer parts dept.
Did you mean to type JT instead of JL?

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

There is spring rate table in a thread somewhere. It might be placebo or that the shock tuning in Sahara and Sport make it feel so 😂

I have tried, Rubicon takeoffs, AEV lift, Synergy springs and Clayton

Sahara stock was the plushest ride followed by Synergy then Rubicon takeoffs, and Clayton... AEV was unbearably harsh ride.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
can anyone say how Falcon shocks figure in here?
Trail Recon guy was very positive about the ride of adjustable Falcon shocks, IIRC.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Did you mean to type JT instead of JL?
No, the shocks had rear JT upper mount and I switched them with JL upper mount to fit them on my Jeep. They are actually the same upper mounts as the front shocks.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I can attest, after having owned four JK Saharas and five Rubicons, that the Sahara suspension is indeed softer. I noticed it especially after I had spent months driving a Rubicon and went back to a Sahara.

But, like you, I haven’t been able to determine over the years, what each set of shocks really is exactly. Jeep uses this marketing mambo-jumbo and leaves it at that.
Concur x 2

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

USA, 67-94, 11 Bang

Sponsored

PeterKH

First Name
PeterKH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys 2020
Can you show us the picture of upper mounts? I'm going to buy them and want to find the upper mounts in the same time.
Jeep Wrangler JL Softening the ride for daily driving 1675385320207

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
USA, 67-94, 11 Bang
Hooah! Thank you for your service! 1988-2018, started out as a Combat Medic (the MOS back then was 91A), finished as a 14S, with 5 other MOSs between those two.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
There is spring rate table in a thread somewhere. It might be placebo or that the shock tuning in Sahara and Sport make it feel so 😂

I have tried, Rubicon takeoffs, AEV lift, Synergy springs and Clayton

Sahara stock was the plushest ride followed by Synergy then Rubicon takeoffs, and Clayton... AEV was unbearably harsh ride.
We are now running Fox 2.0s and HD dual-rate springs, on all four corners, on both of our Jeeps now; they came with the JKS lifts. Both ride quite a bit better, and more comfortable.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hooah! Thank you for your service! 1988-2018, started out as a Combat Medic (the MOS back then was 91A), finished as a 14S, with 5 other MOSs between those two.
Do you go to the Jeep Meet at Douglas Jeep in Vince, I try to. IIRC 2nd Sat in the month, Jeeps, donuts, good turn out.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We are now running Fox 2.0s and HD dual-rate springs, on all four corners, on both of our Jeeps now; they came with the JKS lifts. Both ride quite a bit better, and more comfortable.
When I had my shop and was building Jeeps I used JKS control arms, AEV springs and Rancho 9000XL adjustable Shocks. Fox was the new kid on the block back in those days and Currie Anti-Rock.
Sponsored