Sponsored

Softening the ride for daily driving

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
What are some ways to soften the ride for daily driving? Which springs (edit: I meant shocks not springs)and tires are most suitable for a softer ride?
For DD I use the stock steelies and tire combo for such purposes. It seems to feel more forgiving on the roads. I put on Rubi takeoffs when I go offroad.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

Air down a bit. The factory 37 psi feels like it is more for better mileage than anything.
Tires also play a major part as well.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of size, sticking with a C-rated tire is best. D's and E's get progressively stiffer, resulting in a harsher on road ride.

Adjustable shocks allow the ride to be softened for road comfort, and firmed up to prevent bottoming out offroad.

The higher factory tire pressures are meant to help maximize fuel economy numbers. Depending on the specific tire, that pressure may cause uneven tread wear because the center of the tread is ballooning. And what it will cause is a stiffer and harsher ride than it needs to be.

OP
OP

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Good stuff thank you.
Are Sahara shocks softer? I have Rubi shocks on my Unlimited. Wondering if getting 2dr Sahara shocks will soften the ride. Or are the adjustable ones better.

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara shocks are softer (i.e lower spring load rate)
If you want to lift - Dynatrac 2" lift is the softest riding spring.. Synergy 2" coils for 2dr are also very plush.

Softer doesn't mean better. The sahara springs compress so much at turns. it gives a very wobbly ride and cant go hard on turns without feeling like you are going to topple

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Good stuff thank you.
Are Sahara shocks softer? I have Rubi shocks on my Unlimited. Wondering if getting 2dr Sahara shocks will soften the ride. Or are the adjustable ones better.
For softness I hear great things about the Rancho adjustable shocks. I'd second the recommendation to drop air pressure. If you look up the tire load charts, most of us are way above what's necessary to safely support the weight of a Jeep.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Generally, springs carry the load and shocks (dampers) determine the ride. The first thing to change should be shocks. Any discussion about springs is putting the cart before the horse.

Typically, dampers are generically valved. They are not valved for the load or conditions, which they would be in a perfect world. The first thing to do is try different shocks, yes, buy a set and try them for a week and return them if they don't work for your needs. Or, better yet, buy custom valved dampers based on your vehicle (weight, driving conditions, etc.). I second someone above that mentioned adjustable dampers. You'll probably find you put them on the medium setting and leave them there, but that's better than buying something that doesn't feel right.

As stated above, there are other things that change ride quality, height of the sidewall (how tall your tires are) and tire load rating. The tire/sidewall flexes and that dampens the imperfections in the road (soaks up some of the bumps). A lot of taller tires are also stiffer, so the sidewall doesn't "roll" when cornering and you get better mileage. That's good for the reasons it's good for, but on a relatively light vehicle, it creates a rougher ride.

Also as stated above, a softer ride means you may feel dive when driving in a spirited manner, braking hard or cornering. There is shock valving that helps with that, but it costs quite a bit more for a custom, buildable, damper.

After you address dampers, which control the ride quality, you could talk about springs, but realize springs are designed to carry the load (weight), not address ride quality.

OP
OP

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Adjustables sound like the way to go.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
I meant shocks when I made my original post. Thanks for catching that.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good stuff thank you.
Adjustable shocks are your best option, simply for the sake of not bottoming out offroad but to still soften them for on road use.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustables sound like the way to go.
Accutune is a great option for not only a quality set of shocks, but a set that they will custom tune to your specific Jeep and your specific wants and needs. They also offer a free revalve to all customers, in the event that you need another tweak.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

save your money up and get a nice pair of adjustable shocks. it will make a world of a difference

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Good stuff thank you.
I went from Rubi red shocks to the JT Gladiator Rubicon oem Fox shocks. The ride is a whole lot softer, maybe even too soft for some.
Sponsored