Sponsored

Soft tops - To lock or to unlock that is the question

Do you lock or unlock and what experiences have you had?

• Total voters

jarvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Manual, 12 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
All, I recently ordered my first Jeep with a soft top. I know this has been covered before but took a different direction. I have two friends that claim they never lock theirs and keep no valuables in them. I live in suburbs and have had neighbors that had theft from their unlocked vehicles. Mine will be in the garage overnight, but while out and about I'm stuck. So i ask what is the norm? I have a hard time getting over leaving it unlocked. It's a manual, what it someone jumps in and throws it in neutral and lets down the parking break and it rolls into something or someone? If you leave it unlocked, do you leave the tailgate unlocked and the glovebox unlocked and just leave basically nothing in the vehicle?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
All, I recently ordered my first Jeep with a soft top. I know this has been covered before but took a different direction. I have two friends that claim they never lock theirs and keep no valuables in them. I live in suburbs and have had neighbors that had theft from their unlocked vehicles. Mine will be in the garage overnight, but while out and about I'm stuck. So i ask what is the norm? I have a hard time getting over leaving it unlocked. It's a manual, what it someone jumps in and throws it in neutral and lets down the parking break and it rolls into something or someone? If you leave it unlocked, do you leave the tailgate unlocked and the glovebox unlocked and just leave basically nothing in the vehicle?
I’m in your exact boat. Manual, garaged at night, live in the burbs.

I don’t lock and keep nothing of value in it. I don’t worry much about a vandal putting it in neutral. Most vandals are kids, and most kids aren’t savvy enough to even see that opportunity. (Plus, I have insurance!)

The one time I had to park overnight in a city (Philly), I paid for a garage and did not lock it.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I had a couple of soft tops slashed over the years. If the idiots only knew how easy it is to get into a jeep, they wouldn't use a knife.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
If they want in they will get in. Save your top from being slashed. Leave valuables "out of site, out of mind".

OP
OP

jarvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Manual, 12 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
If they want in they will get in. Save your top from being slashed. Leave valuables "out of site, out of mind".
Very true. This holds true for all vehicles, soft top or not. I've known folks who have had windows broken for some center console change. I don't ever leave anything showing.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
With the soft top on.....always unlocked. 2 rolls of quarters in the console. This is a " take the quarters and go buy your drugs. I hope it kills you now get the f**k outa my Jeep." My thought process- If they get "something" maybe there's less chance they'll do damage to the top or Jeep.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
With the soft top on.....always unlocked. 2 rolls of quarters in the console. This is a " take the quarters and go buy your drugs. I hope it kills you now get the f**k outa my Jeep." My thought process- If they get "something" maybe there's less chance they'll do damage to the top or Jeep.
I like this theory :like:. It really depends on where you park though, I don't worry too much about it given the limited places where I normally go.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Hardtop they smashed the rear glass($1600 CAD) for a case of Malta they probably thought was beer, I just leave it unlocked now with nothing of value. Also found out the hardtop rear glass isn't alarmed.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I lock mine. Dont have a garage.
Mines new it hasn't been broken into yet. Where i live is rife with vehicle break ins. My last two cars, a neon then a dart both broken into twice. I don't leave anything in my vehicle, but if a thief wants in they'll just smash a window. So that is what that is. I've got a security camera pointed at it, best i can do i guess ...coz i really love having the soft top.

Edit: just as i submitted my reply, my Ring camera app popped up a notifications for a neighbors post about someone breaking into their car. :facepalm:

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I have the Diabolical Slipstream so I lock mine so the tailgate is locked. I don't keep anything visible in the jeep.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Locked will set the alarm (horn honking) and if someone opens the door will set it off. I even lock my doors with the top down for this reason. Not that anyone does anything about a car alarm, but the thief may move on or at least not stick around as long. And if they set it off in the driveway, damn sure, I'll come out to check out why my horn is honking.

It'll also keep opportunistic thieves (casual ones) out. Pros will get in either way.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I generally don't lock my Jeep, console, or glove box. If I have something valuable like my laptop I will put it in the rear cubby and lock it. If there is something valuable too big for the cubby I lock and hope for the best.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
This time of year, I usually have the soft top down and doors off, so I don't have much to lock. I have the Tuffy console box so if I do have anything of value, it goes in there. Otherwise, I leave nothing in the Jeep. I suppose they could take some of my accessories, but that's about it.

FishtownPride

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
I can say in the past living in Philly locking the jeep with a soft top, it still was broken into. With our new jeep it is locked every time, but so far so good. And we also do not keep anything in the vehicle at all. Honestly, the JL has simplified our lives by being a manual back to basics kinda lifestyle. We are back to being true jeep people. Simple, practical and fun.

StacRio

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Pearl 2DR Turbo Sport 2010 Mango Tango JKU 2004 Grand Cherokee
Always unlocked - even with the hard top on! I never keep anything of value in there. And I have parked it in Baltimore City with no issues at all.

What kills me are the people who bitch when they get stuff stolen out of their rigs that are both topless and doorless.
Um, hello? Ya shouldn't have left it in there in plain sight! :headbang::headbang:
Sponsored