Sponsored

Soft Top window blowing out

JDJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Been monitoring this thread since I purchased my JL last Spring, and like your solution. I also noticed the metal snap fastener in your first photo, which I assume you installed, and was curious if that had any effect on securing the window as well.
I installed the snap fastener at 2 places. At the location in the photo and also further up toward the front of the window panel. They help to keep the flap down to prevent high speed air from getting into the cabin through the open gaps and make high pitch whistling sounds. This usually happens when I drive at high speed through the flat deserts and mountain bowls where crosswinds can easily get up to 50+ mph.
Sponsored

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Purple TJ, 2021 HellaYella JLUR
Hi, Purple Turtle. We'd be happy to speak further with you about this. Please send our team a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Dealership said it is being covered under warranty. Thank you!

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Purple TJ, 2021 HellaYella JLUR
Believe his was a MyTop. True power convertible, though pricey.
I looked. Those are awesome but they are def pricey. The one thing is the gears I would be worried sand from the dunes would ruin it fairly quickly.... thats my hesitation and also the cost

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I installed the snap fastener at 2 places. At the location in the photo and also further up toward the front of the window panel. They help to keep the flap down to prevent high speed air from getting into the cabin through the open gaps and make high pitch whistling sounds. This usually happens when I drive at high speed through the flat deserts and mountain bowls where crosswinds can easily get up to 50+ mph.
So you are slipping the piece of cooper tube over the plastic channel in the window towards the rear of the Jeep, installing the window and sliding the tube up to the rail in the top? Is there room at the front of the window for another one? Just happened to me this morning. Covering it under warranty but 1-5 days for the pass side window.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So you are slipping the piece of cooper tube over the plastic channel in the window towards the rear of the Jeep, installing the window and sliding the tube up to the rail in the top? Is there room at the front of the window for another one? Just happened to me this morning. Covering it under warranty but 1-5 days for the pass side window.
Without going through the whole thread, I can tell you my experience is when the weather warms up, that c-channel plastic opens wider where it meets the torpedo rail on the top. Then it slips off the rail entirely. I could show you a picture, mine is basically deformed in that one area. The copper tube is a good idea, and you could probably glue it in that one spot and never have to move it. I've considered using some 3M window weld or similar to keep it from opening up. I'm surprised Jeep hasn't addressed this issue.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Without going through the whole thread, I can tell you my experience is when the weather warms up, that c-channel plastic opens wider where it meets the torpedo rail on the top. Then it slips off the rail entirely. I could show you a picture, mine is basically deformed in that one area. The copper tube is a good idea, and you could probably glue it in that one spot and never have to move it. I've considered using some 3M window weld or similar to keep it from opening up. I'm surprised Jeep hasn't addressed this issue.
Thanks. I will be doing that to the next set. I used to have to carry a flat blade screwdriver in my YJ to pull the snaps off the soft top because if you pulled the cloth, it wound tear through the snaps. Nice to see we still have to deal with design issues.....

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I will be doing that to the next set. I used to have to carry a flat blade screwdriver in my YJ to pull the snaps off the soft top because if you pulled the cloth, it wound tear through the snaps. Nice to see we still have to deal with design issues.....
Agree...but I can only imagine what the new Bronco owners must be going through with their new-fangled soft-tops. Gotta be worse!

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Almost forgot the Hoppemod for the 2nd gen TJ's. Take a Trailblazer fuel filler hose that GM added a check valve to, cut about an inch off each end and it fits a TJ for all of us that had to deal with fuel spit.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Almost forgot the Hoppemod for the 2nd gen TJ's. Take a Trailblazer fuel filler hose that GM added a check valve to, cut about an inch off each end and it fits a TJ for all of us that had to deal with fuel spit.
Here's another good one. When attempting to replace the rollover check valve for my 1980 CJ-5 a few years ago, there were none to be found under Jeep part numbers. After some more research, I discovered that the same valve was also used in DeLoreans and strangely enough, was plentiful. I bought three...

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's another good one. When attempting to replace the rollover check valve for my 1980 CJ-5 a few years ago, there were none to be found under Jeep part numbers. After some more research, I discovered that the same valve was also used in DeLoreans and strangely enough, was plentiful. I bought three...
That is awesome. Once that info was published and we bought them all, seems GM could not figure out why they were sold out....

Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Wow that blows, first time I've seen this, have a couple of friends that have the soft top and never have they had this issue, only one guy had this happened he admitted he didn't secure it properly. Maybe it wasn't secured. Sorry. Keep the Jeep wave going.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Agree...but I can only imagine what the new Bronco owners must be going through with their new-fangled soft-tops. Gotta be worse!
By far the worst top ever created. The JL top is a Space X Starship by comparison.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One way to tighten up that channel. Let it get run over on the thruway....

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_2543.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_2542.JPG

I was checking to see how far the end of channel was past the plastic torpedo so I could fit a copper or PVC collar over it like @JDJones did.

JeepFan88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon 2 door
This issue is the only thing holding me back from ordering a softtop. I'm hoping they update the design when they do the mid cycle refresh.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I am trying to figure out what happened, does the window pop off at the top? I am thinking that there is some slack fore and aft that might cause the front part of the window to come off the door surround. Thinking that after you slide the window on and attach the front to the door surround. Then pull it back and then slip the PVC or copper collar on the back to keep the window from sliding forward. Thinking that should keep the front of the window in tension against the surround. Does this sound like it might be the solution? Once I get my replacement windows, I will take a closer look.

Edit:
Went and took a look with the window that didn't' get run over and it seems that it might have let loose at the lower back corner where it is supposed to clip in to the tailgate retainer. Thinking of drilling a small hole in the lower part of the back window retainer of the side window and a small hole in the side of the tailgate bar retainer and use a zip tie to have a more secure attachment between those two. There is about three inches of the tube that is left past the "torpedo" that you use to start threading the channel at the top of the window. I will also install a collar on that section as well and report back.
Sponsored

Last edited: