Soft Top window blowing out

JayDav

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JL
The exact same thing happened to me. I was driving a little bit faster. I only had the drivers window down and the inside felt like it filling up with air with no place to go. All the windows fluttered for a few seconds. I got nervous and rolled the drivers window up... before it closed all the way. The drivers side window flew off without warning before I had time to react. Then I got the second surprise of the morning. I ordered the replacement panel $460.00
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I always open the rear windows a bit to lower pressures on the soft top windows when driving at high speeds with the front windows down. Seems like the concept of the soft top windows is great - the application less than great. What should I expect for $55,000?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So i pulled both windows out to compare the top channel. You can see the driver's side expands towards the end.

IMG_2185.jpeg
That sucks. Try clamping it closed and then heating it up with a heat gun. Failing that, off to the dealer I’d be...

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2020 Recon with 1000 miles, premium top and mine just blew out as well. Called Chrysler and they said I will have to call back again after I visit dealer to see if they will cover the issue.

This is the driver's side panel and the pointed nub on the guide rail broke off as well.

Going about 65 on the highway. Panels are back ordered.

First available appointment 2 weeks out, so I guess I will bring in and then call Chrysler again.

Anyone or anything else to do in the hopes this gets covered under warranty?

Thanks all for sharing.

Vin

Sponsored

jeepable

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S White
Oh man, I bought my soft top from someone who had the window blow out the first time he took it out. I figured he had installed it incorrectly. I ordered the replacement window and have it installed. I only have about 500 miles with the soft top on, but now I am worried it's going to happen again.

Cookie Monster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLURT
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man, I bought my soft top from someone who had the window blow out the first time he took it out. I figured he had installed it incorrectly. I ordered the replacement window and have it installed. I only have about 500 miles with the soft top on, but now I am worried it's going to happen again.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are thousands of JLs on the road with a soft top. Most of them haven't had a window go out.

I had one blow at 400 miles, I now have 13,000 miles without it happening. Jeep covered the window, so I wasn't out any money. I now follow the order the manual addendum says every time. I also double check my windows every time I install them. Could it happen again, sure. But no need to live in fear.

I'll admit it helps having a hard top hanging in the garage as a backup plan.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
My passenger side window on my 2 door never completely came out, but I could hear wind noise. When I investigated, I found the window railing has separated from the railing attached to the top. I know I had the window mounted correctly and after the 3rd time this happened, I needed to put in a permanent fix. Someone on this thread already noted that the plastic, when wedged open, will only get more loose with time. I drilled a hole in the window channel and secured to a hole that was already in the top channel. I'm not a fan of having to do this, but I believe the zip tie will hold the window in place and I don't have to worry about the side window becoming a kite. I keep plenty of zip ties in the Jeep so I can cut it off and remove the window whenever necessary. I understand the design was for quick take off and putting it back on, but Jeep needs to go back to the zippers.

pic 1 edited.jpg

pic 1.jpg

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 Door premium top has the same problem many reported. The 'C' channel on the side panel is far too weak and slides off the rod regularly. It has only impacted the passenger side for me. Luckily my panel has never completely flown off while driving.

This problem started a few months after I got the JLR in 2018, and progressively got more frequent. It makes sense as the more it pops off the more stretched out the 'C' channel gets. In summer 2020 dealer did warranty claim and replaced that panel for me (after some delay in back order). Sadly the new panel popped off within the first 24 hours of being replaced. Not surprising as the new panel was more taught than the old one putting more pressure. In fact after a couple of weeks it can no longer be installed in the channel at all (it'll pop out of the channel before the bottom tab can be fully inserted). I kind of gave up 🤷‍♂️ since I can't imagine a third panel is going to do me any good. So I drive around in the $45k JLR with the wind noise and weather proofing of a scrapyard jalopy. :facepalm:

Fun Fact: my replacement panel had green tabs whereas my original factory one was not.

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
@JDJones and @FormerF150Owner are right on the money in describing the issue as well as pinpointing the fix. I'm trying JDJones' fix, hope it works.

I picked up the same copper part from Home Depot JDJones used. But I saw a similar PVC part so got that too. Both of them together was under $1. Both parts have identical inner diameter. Except the PVC has an indent ring right in the middle which might be an advantage since it hugs even tighter. Cut a slit so it can slide over the 'C' channel of the soft panel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_5999

This shows how the weak 'C' channel gets stretched out after it slips off the rod.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_5993

I ended up using the PVC part to wrap around and reinforce it. (The copper part had rougher edges and didn't slide over as easily but I'm sure it would work similar.)
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_5994

Installed the panel and had the PVC part sit right where the rod ends. Between the panel's 'C' channel and this PVC part, it's completely wrapped around the rod now. The soft top covers over this so you wouldn't see this white piece unless you flip the fabric up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_5996

I'll see if it actually addresses the problem with some time. If this solution works it doesn't actually make the soft top on/off any more difficult. Fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed:

[Update 1/22/2021]
  • Adding link to the 1/2" PVC Coupling part from Home Depot.
  • Been pleased so far. It's been 3 weeks and it's still holding up. Been through a car wash and 75+ mph highway trips.

Last edited:

Sponsored

only.in.her.jeep

First Name
Alexa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport X 2021 JLU
For those of you who had it replaced h def warranty, how did you go about this?
This just happened to me today, we had 60mph winds and it blew off while I was going 45mph. I’ve only had the top for 2 weeks but mopar, my insurance and my dealer are refusing to replace it. I have the window but it’s scratched to sh!t.

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
For those of you who had it replaced h def warranty, how did you go about this?
This just happened to me today, we had 60mph winds and it blew off while I was going 45mph. I’ve only had the top for 2 weeks but mopar, my insurance and my dealer are refusing to replace it. I have the window but it’s scratched to sh!t.
I bought new window. Contacted keep cares and sent in receipt and they reimbursed me. There has to be a better solution?!?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I know this has been asked before, but haven't seen any replies yet....Is this problem only occurring with Premium Twill soft tops, or is it on Premium Twill and Black Diamond?

And what about the V88 2018-2020 recall discussed previously? Seems like that should have fixed the problem, but I haven't actually seen the addendum/tip card. Is it still occurring even after following the card?

Last edited:

dsn112

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Just happened to us on a 2021 JLU. Hit the highway and boom, drivers side rear gone and destroyed. It had been on the car for at least 800 miles prior to this, and all seams were tight and looked good.

I called Customer service and they said i'd hear back in 24hrs and its 27 now and nothing.

UPDATE: Jeep was great and are covering it. Should be here in the next two days. So about 10 days without one. Now to figure out how to secure it better.
Sponsored

Last edited: