Sponsored

Soft Top vs. Hard Top ... Where the weather is great!

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Then there’s the best of both worlds: Sky One Touch!
Sponsored

Megacondenser

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR, ‘17 911 C4GTS, 17’ C63S Cab, ‘18 RS3, ‘17 Cayenne
I’m in Toronto. I had pulled the trigger on the Sky One-Touch roof for my JLUR build because of the mix of “convenience” and space-saving (not wanting to fill up my garage with a hardtop hanging from the ceiling or whatever) but wanting to at least pretend at having the top-off experience.

That deal fell through but I found almost my desired build on a different dealer lot except it was soft top only. I wasn’t sure but eventually went for it (and they gave me a nice deal on a dual top group retrofit).

Well, I haven’t had such a fantastic summer in years. The top was off that thing every possible moment. My two young daughters would ask me to slip the top & windows off and they would even just go sit in it & on it in the driveway. Like, every available opportunity. 3 km trip to the drug store? Top down first. Ice-cream run? Topless. 2 hour highway trip with wind whipping too loud to talk at 80 mph? Top down, don’t even think about it. Hell, we were driving into a visible electrical storm up in lake country here and I had to overrule them to stop to slip the top back up.

I’d have had the doors off too but wifey was terrified my kids would try to hang out the sides while in motion. But I’ll win her over...

Every time we get in, wife and I chuckle thinking we almost bought the big sliding sunroof model. I’m sure it’s great for many, but we’d have been missing out for sure. I see people on beautiful days with their hardtop on, most with freedom panels still in, and wonder if maybe they just don’t know what they have. I think that’s what it is. People buy Jeeps as SUV-alternatives and just don’t know what they are buying.

My hardtop? Sitting at the dealer warehouse waiting for me to go get it wired and bring it home. They keep calling me to come get it. Even with our winters here (which aren’t that bad really) I’m toying with just running soft-top only. The brittle easily-scratched windows are all that’s stopping me.

If I lived where there was even a bit warmer winter, I’d go soft top only all they way, knowing what I know now.

That soft top was the perfect summer I didn’t even know I wanted.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I like the soft top and we'll likely throw it back on in a few years but the hard top is very convenient. You don't realize how closed off the soft top makes the rear area, you don't have quick access without undoing the top window and throwing it on top of the roof. Not super hard when you get the hang of it but its annoying when you need to get stuff in and out of the rear area. Noise was big factor also, hard top cuts down on a lot of road noise and just makes the daily driving experience easier and in my mind is more secure. I was always paranoid somebody was going to cut my windows when parked in a not so great area.

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
Going to be different here. I have the hard top and would not buy a soft top Jeep. I like the hard top for colder weather and the ease of getting in the back end for loading. I doubt I will ever have the freedom tops off. Everyone buys their Jeep for different reasons. I love the styling and the fact that it’s a four wheel drive vehicle.
Sponsored