RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am facing the Hard Top vs Soft Top dilemma as we speak. I am ready to pull the trigger on a Sahara and the only option I go back and forth on is which top to get. I don't really have a place to put a hard top when I take it off, but I think the hard top looks better and isn't as noisy . I see a lot of soft tops that after a period of time droop and the windows look wrinkled. I just wish that you could still get the wiring put in for the hard top (wipers and defrost) if you order a soft top only so when I get to point in my life that I have a garage I can retrofit a hard top. My jeep salesman said they don't do that.
Would you consider going with the Dual Top Option and selling one top in the open market to reimburse your initially outlay?
Sponsored

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara-Ocean Blue
Would you consider going with the Dual Top Option and selling one top in the open market to reimburse your initially outlay?
I went with the 3 piece hard top in the end. I like the look and having the wiring for the hard top. When I have I garage I can always get a premium soft top at that time.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
I have both - the hardtop sits in my garage.

The only time there's a noticeable difference is when a vehicle with a loud engine or tires is driving beside me.

I love being able to flip it open in seconds. I open it up daily. I'm actually surprised by the number of hardtops in CA.

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I have both - the hardtop sits in my garage.

The only time there's a noticeable difference is when a vehicle with a loud engine or tires is driving beside me.

I love being able to flip it open in seconds. I open it up daily. I'm actually surprised by the number of hardtops in CA.
Yup. It really comes down to just how often do you want the top off (even if just sunrider v freedom panels).

If it’s a hard top, you just won’t take them off as often. It’s not hard to take off, just is that added layer of something to fiddle with on the fly. The sunrider, you have it down in seconds and you will use it more.

Really, it’s just a matter of how often you think you will have it down (and just how important road noise is for you)

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I am facing the Hard Top vs Soft Top dilemma as we speak. I am ready to pull the trigger on a Sahara and the only option I go back and forth on is which top to get. I don't really have a place to put a hard top when I take it off, but I think the hard top looks better and isn't as noisy . I see a lot of soft tops that after a period of time droop and the windows look wrinkled. I just wish that you could still get the wiring put in for the hard top (wipers and defrost) if you order a soft top only so when I get to point in my life that I have a garage I can retrofit a hard top. My jeep salesman said they don't do that.
I had a hard top on my 17 Sahara. I bitched all summer long about how I wished I had a soft top; So much that I compromised and bought the Best-top sunrider flip back.
I now own an 18 JLUR with just the basic soft top. I barely hear road noise (I'm running on 37's too) and honestly don't even acknowledge or notice I don't have a hard top.
The premium top would be the better option because its softer, a little thicker and simply looks better.
Me personally, I would miss my soft top more than I miss the hard top. I'm in Ohio and it's already getting down in the 30's overnight. But no complaints thus far.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you think you will ever use a hard top, you should order it from the factory. That way you'll have the wiring and plumbing pre-installed which will save you a lot of money in the long run. I found that out the hard way with my 2012 JKU.

Having said that, the entire point of a Wrangler is to put the top down and the soft top is F A R easier to throw back and enjoy the open air environment. So, I wish that I had ordered the dual top group.

cork

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2DR
I am thinking about getting a soft top. Was wondering about the noise level. I’ve got the 3 piece freedom top. It’s a little noisy as it is. Has anyone switched that can give some insight on this? Thanks.
For the JL 2DR I only like the softop. The hardtop looks odd to me. Mine is suspended from my garage ceiling and for sale. NOTE: With all my JKs, I only liked the 4DR and mostly with hardtop or naked. I

IMG_0042.jpg

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
If you want to be topless as well as keep the noise down then I think this powered soft top is the perfect fit for you

Triple layered to make it quieter and more insulated than the stock hardtop. Plus it's cheaper than Jeep's sliding hard top
Now that thing is cool. Might be worth ordering the dual top option and selling both tops to fund this.

Jl owner

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
I ordered the premium soft top . Looks great and quieter than the standard soft top. I’ve noticed hardtop owners never go topless.

Sponsored

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara-Ocean Blue
For those of us that ordered the hard top option where is the best place to get the premium soft top say in a year or two? Do Jeep dealers offer premium soft tops alone? I'd imagine it's cheaper getting them somewhere else if that option is available.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
For those of us that ordered the hard top option where is the best place to get the premium soft top say in a year or two? Do Jeep dealers offer premium soft tops alone? I'd imagine it's cheaper getting them somewhere else if that option is available.
There are a lot of aftermarket soft tops and private sellers. I just got a xmas catalogue from Quadratech - a handful there for JL. Best Top seems to be the go-to for soft top buyers on this forum.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
How long do soft tops last in the sun? How much are they to replace?

I live in Maui and don't have a garage. I plan on ordering a 2 door JLR and pay the extra $2,200 for the Body color 3-piece Hard Top (white) to minimize the solar heat gain. The sun here is brutal and I don't think the soft top would hold up.

I'd like to get a something like the Garvin Expedition Rack w/ Basket when they become available for JLR's. I could put a tarp on the basket as a sun shield and skip the $2,200 for painted roof.

I don't care about noise. No interstate and only a few miles of highway were you can go faster than 45 MPH. The Nitto Mud Grapplers 37x13.50R17LT E (Actual Diameter: 37.05 ) WEIGHT : 97 lbs Width : 14.57" will be loud with any top.

The JLR will be used primarily for wheelin, I have other rigs for driving/loading/etc.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I sure hope you are wrong on being able to add the wiring. My dealer ordered the parts to add all the electrical and add the hardtop. The wiring kit has come in and we are waiting for the top.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I sure hope you are wrong on being able to add the wiring. My dealer ordered the parts to add all the electrical and add the hardtop. The wiring kit has come in and we are waiting for the top.
They can add it in at the dealer, my wife’s JKU was a soft top only and bought a hard top and harness for it when she bought the Jeep. Sent it in for the day and they changed the stick, added the new washer line. You would never know it was a soft top only Jeep
Sponsored