flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The unexpected release of the soft top in "Problem 2" below is a bit concerning. Is this a common problem, or perhaps an isolated incident? Just want to see what others have experienced.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The unexpected release of the soft top in "Problem 2" below is a bit concerning. Is this a common problem, or perhaps an isolated incident? Just want to see what others have experienced.
Alright so bit of a long post but I got my 21' 2dr Rubicon a few weeks ago and took it on a road trip for 1,600+ miles, I encountered 2 errors and notated them to FCA and my Dealer. Below are my experiences and how I fixed them, TL;DR will be at bottom.

Specs of my JL: Rubicon, 2dr, 3.6 w/ e-torque, 8 speed automatic, soft top, All other packages Minus Cold weather and Advanced Cruise.

Problem 1: Until I was back in my hometown in Minnesota I had disabled Auto Stop Start (ESS). While it was enabled in Minnesota I came to a red light, it shut the jeep off, Light turned green, it killed the jeep when I let off the brake. (No big deal right? WRONG) I was sitting at the light trying to turn my Jeep engine back on or even shift. It would not start and even turning it all the way off and trying to turn it back on it just ran the starter but wouldn't turn over. My first thought was to disconnect both batteries(It has 2), however tow truck driver only had a 12mm on him so I disconnected the main battery and reconnected, issue did not resolve. He dropped my jeep off at the nearest dealer, I asked for a 12 and a 10 mm socket before admitting my jeep as I needed my vehicle and thought this might be an electrical issue, dealer provided the tools and I disconnected both on my own and then reseated them, viola it fixed the issue of the Jeep not starting, however it still killed it when trying to ESS. So logically I went to the fuse box after re-connecting the batteries again, and to my utter surprise, every single fuse was lose, so PLEASE do yourself a favor and ensure all fuses are seated tightly! (This corrected the issue for me)

Problem 2: Simple problem this time, not sure of fix yet, but three times on my road trip all going exactly 80MPH (Interstate) with no traffic the soft top unlatched both main clips above the windshield and attempted to open, luckily the latches still held and my passenger and I were able to latch it still driving. But, it's quite a scare and this is my first soft top. (Hard top prior) Perhaps there's a way to tighten the latches?

TL;DR: Ensure your fuses are all sitting securely upon delivery and watch out for soft top popping up at higher speeds.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Isolated. Improperly installed, is my guess. Almost three years with my PST. Zero issues.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, thanks. My new JL will have a regular Sunrider, but I suspect this isn't a common issue with that top either. Appreciate the feedback!

PawPawShark

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JL Islander 4-door
Has anyone found a solution for this problem? My passenger side latch popped open half a dozen times on a 4 hour drive yesterday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found a solution for this problem? My passenger side latch popped open half a dozen times on a 4 hour drive yesterday.
Wow, that's definitely annoying and frustrating. So sorry to hear that you're having this problem. Have you ever removed and reinstalled the top? Have you taken your Jeep to the dealer yet? I'm really curious what they have to say about this. No matter what happens, please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck.

PawPawShark

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JL Islander 4-door
Wow, that's definitely annoying and frustrating. So sorry to hear that you're having this problem. Have you ever removed and reinstalled the top? Have you taken your Jeep to the dealer yet? I'm really curious what they have to say about this. No matter what happens, please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck.
I'm lucky to have dual tops so I've just recently put my soft top back on. I haven't reported it to the dealership yet, my next appointment is 7/10. I'll keep you posted as to what they say.
Sponsored