Sponsored

Soft Top to Hardtop Conversion - Wiring Synergies

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
I recently obtained a hardtop that I’m in the process of installing it (waiting on the 4 brackets where the freedom panels latch in). What I’m trying to figure out is if there is anything that makes sense to wire at the same time as the hardtop wiring for the wiper & defroster?

Things I had considered were the towing electrics & auxiliary buttons, but I genuinely don’t know what the install looks like for any of these yet. I know I have to go through the firewall for the hardtop wiring, hence the reason I was considering the aux buttons, but I wasn’t sure if it was the same area.

I’m aware flashes from the dealer will be required for all.

Current setup- 2021 JLR, factory soft top, Cold Weather Group, 8.4 / Alpine Audio, and the LED package.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I recently obtained a hardtop that I’m in the process of installing it (waiting on the 4 brackets where the freedom panels latch in). What I’m trying to figure out is if there is anything that makes sense to wire at the same time as the hardtop wiring for the wiper & defroster?

Things I had considered were the towing electrics & auxiliary buttons, but I genuinely don’t know what the install looks like for any of these yet. I know I have to go through the firewall for the hardtop wiring, hence the reason I was considering the aux buttons, but I wasn’t sure if it was the same area.

I’m aware flashes from the dealer will be required for all.

Current setup- 2021 JLR, factory soft top, Cold Weather Group, 8.4 / Alpine Audio, and the LED package.
I did the Aux install earlier this week. It goes through a grommet behind the glove box, and you have to pull open the passenger kick panel trim, take out the glovebox, and pull the two dash panels. Also, they have you pull back the fender liner on the passenger side.

It would probably be nice to run a couple spare 12 gauge circuits to the back, that way you have some easy spares for if you add a fridge, put in a compressor, etc.

I used the quadratec hitch harness, which runs in both tail lights, and up the driver side for the lead to under hood. Note, this is a 4 pin, really I should have just done the Mopar to get a true 7 pin.

I would recommend getting a Tazer, by the time you pay for the dealer to input multiple sales codes, it probably pays for itself.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Fascinating instructions. I just got a used hard top, has the wiper and defroster but I don't think I'm going to bother. The soft top doesn't have these options. I'm curious if anyone has added these harnesses and how long it took...

OP
OP
Dp227

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
Fascinating instructions. I just got a used hard top, has the wiper and defroster but I don't think I'm going to bother. The soft top doesn't have these options. I'm curious if anyone has added these harnesses and how long it took...
This is my thought. Not sure yet… the snow might change my mind (one of my biggest reasons for a hardtop).

But it’s not like I’ve been able to wipe the back soft top window in the rain anyway, so I may not miss it. TBD, I guess.

I just installed the brackets for the freedom panels this afternoon. Fairly straightforward. Took a bit longer than expected (an hour), but that was user error.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dp227

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
OP
OP
Dp227

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
I did the Aux install earlier this week. It goes through a grommet behind the glove box, and you have to pull open the passenger kick panel trim, take out the glovebox, and pull the two dash panels. Also, they have you pull back the fender liner on the passenger side.

It would probably be nice to run a couple spare 12 gauge circuits to the back, that way you have some easy spares for if you add a fridge, put in a compressor, etc.

I used the quadratec hitch harness, which runs in both tail lights, and up the driver side for the lead to under hood. Note, this is a 4 pin, really I should have just done the Mopar to get a true 7 pin.

I would recommend getting a Tazer, by the time you pay for the dealer to input multiple sales codes, it probably pays for itself.
I definitely want to go 7 pin if I’m going to do it (I’m a big “if you’re going to do it, do it right, or don’t do it at all” person. In this case, right = as Jeep designed, which I recognize is debatable).

So there was a grommet behind the glovebox, huh? I’ll have to remove it and use the time as a moment to check the air filter and take a look.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
This is my thought. Not sure yet… the snow might change my mind (one of my biggest reasons for a hardtop).

But it’s not like I’ve been able to wipe the back soft top window in the rain anyway, so I may not miss it. TBD, I guess.

I just installed the brackets for the freedom panels this afternoon. Fairly straightforward. Took a bit longer than expected (an hour), but that was user error.
Yeah those ones by the windshield are a real pain unless you have some low profile tools.

OP
OP
Dp227

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
Yeah those ones by the windshield are a real pain unless you have some low profile tools.
Agreed, although removing the rear view mirror helped a bit as I don’t have the smallest tools.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Agreed, although removing the rear view mirror helped a bit as I don’t have the smallest tools.
Nice. I used a small crescent wrench and a torx bit to get them. Didn't have to touch the A pillars or the mirror.
Sponsored