Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealership. If there is anything you think I'm missing or should try please advise.

Yesterday I went to take my top down - I unlatched the front then pulled back so it was bunched up along the top rear but instead of staying horizontal so I could release the lever in the back to pull it down, the back portion just immediately fell limply. Then it was stuck in this position:

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6427

We were able to get it all the way down with 2 people pushing. Fast forward to 3am, its raining & I run outside to pull the top back up. Yes, I flipped the 2 locks first. This time it got stuck in the half-way up position where the top is hovering vertically in the air like a sail. 2 of us got it to come down but it wouldn't go forward enough to engage in the front. I'm in the desert and a full time soft top driver, this is not an issue of it not being warm or stretched out enough. This AM I noticed each side is sticking up & out like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6430

I pulled it back & noticed this plastic thing I've never seen before on each side causing it to stick out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6428

These things on both sides are loose & can easily be pulled out or removed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6429

The back release lever no longer pulls or does anything. Nothing seems bent, snapped, or out of place. We were doing some trails & crawling this weekend (top in safari mode) & we bumped around a lot so I'm hoping maybe it's as simple as something having been bounced out of it's position but everything appears to be on its proper track. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Johnny Jack

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
did you figure out what was wrong. I just got back from deployment. been gone a year & mine is now doing this. It is supposed to stay up when you put the top halfway back but the back automatically drops down and wont release back like you describe and both thos plastic pieces I found lying on the ground

OP
OP
Redx2

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
did you figure out what was wrong. I just got back from deployment. been gone a year & mine is now doing this. It is supposed to stay up when you put the top halfway back but the back automatically drops down and wont release back like you describe and both thos plastic pieces I found lying on the ground
Welcome back! I took it to the dealership & they couldn't figure out what was wrong either but said it was shot. I ended up finding someone on the forums here selling one new in the box under retail & I installed the new one myself in an hour. One thing to keep in mind if you end up installing during cold weather is it will once again seem like it is too tight to clamp shut. You're supposed to install it then leave it flat in the sun for a day to get the canvas to loosen up - some people on here have put heat lamps under it and whatnot. I left it in 90 degrees for a day & still couldn't get it to stretch so I forced it shut, felt like it was going to break again but its fine now. I got one of the first rounds of JLUs in production in 2018 & have used the soft top year-round since so in my case I think it just finally gave out. Hope you can fix yours!

Cmcclain

First Name
Chantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X. 2018 JL Unlimited Sport
This was so difficult for me to search this, but I’m having the exact same issue. What is the damn deal!!!!

OP
OP
Redx2

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
This was so difficult for me to search this, but I’m having the exact same issue. What is the damn deal!!!!
I never figured it out but let me know if you do, I would love to know. Our other 2018 soft top w/ less miles has started ripping from the bows. Nothing else like above is happening to that one yet but I wonder if thats how it starts.

Sponsored

Cmcclain

First Name
Chantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never figured it out but let me know if you do, I would love to know. Our other 2018 soft top w/ less miles has started ripping from the bows. Nothing else like above is happening to that one yet but I wonder if thats how it starts.
Yea, I can see it’s ripped from end to end on two of the bars that connect to the canvas.

Cmcclain

First Name
Chantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s exactly it, if the canvas is torn from those cross bars, when moving the top to the rear it gives too much slack that the back falls down. I am now searching if you can just replace the canvas as I can see that most of it appears to slide off those rails.

Bohdi123

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLu
I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealership. If there is anything you think I'm missing or should try please advise.

Yesterday I went to take my top down - I unlatched the front then pulled back so it was bunched up along the top rear but instead of staying horizontal so I could release the lever in the back to pull it down, the back portion just immediately fell limply. Then it was stuck in this position:

IMG_6427.jpg

We were able to get it all the way down with 2 people pushing. Fast forward to 3am, its raining & I run outside to pull the top back up. Yes, I flipped the 2 locks first. This time it got stuck in the half-way up position where the top is hovering vertically in the air like a sail. 2 of us got it to come down but it wouldn't go forward enough to engage in the front. I'm in the desert and a full time soft top driver, this is not an issue of it not being warm or stretched out enough. This AM I noticed each side is sticking up & out like this:

IMG_6430.jpg

I pulled it back & noticed this plastic thing I've never seen before on each side causing it to stick out.

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6429.jpg

The back release lever no longer pulls or does anything. Nothing seems bent, snapped, or out of place. We were doing some trails & crawling this weekend (top in safari mode) & we bumped around a lot so I'm hoping maybe it's as simple as something having been bounced out of it's position but everything appears to be on its proper track. Any ideas?

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6427

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6430

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6428

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top stuck, no play on rear release lever IMG_6429

IMG_4913.png

IMG_4912.png

Bohdi123

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLu
The little side plastic pieces are pictured above and insert in to the end of one of the bows. The fat end of the piece inserts in to the cloth cover that it seems to be protruding from. Needs to be bent down and looks to hold that edge of the top behind the plastic rain gutter (for lack of a better term). As far as the 5th bow just folding!?! I’m dealing with that too. As I explore further I’ll keep you posted.

OP
OP
Redx2

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
Thanks @Bohdi123 I just ended up replacing it but the same thing is happening to my husband's 2018 2d now. He just keeps it in safari mode most of the time but when he has the windows in and the wind blows a certain direction the top puffs upwards since its not secured to the bows anymore. I call it his "chefs hat" jeep.

Both of our tops seemed to break while coming out of safari so I always wonder if driving it too much like that puts undue pressure on the top in wind or something. I got an alien shade so now I don't really need to do safari. Hope you can figure yours out!

Bohdi123

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLu
Thanks @Bohdi123 I just ended up replacing it but the same thing is happening to my husband's 2018 2d now. He just keeps it in safari mode most of the time but when he has the windows in and the wind blows a certain direction the top puffs upwards since its not secured to the bows anymore. I call it his "chefs hat" jeep.

Both of our tops seemed to break while coming out of safari so I always wonder if driving it too much like that puts undue pressure on the top in wind or something. I got an alien shade so now I don't really need to do safari. Hope you can figure yours out!
I have to look at the rear locking mechanisms next. I’ll figure it out or break it more lol!
Sponsored