Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I'm working late last night. We've had a lot rain in my locale, and now wind as the remnants of Hurricane Michael pass through.

I hear a tree limb snap. I hear no car alarm go off (as if it fell on one of the cars in my driveway.) I am content to deal with it in the morning and remain ignorant until then. I'm glad I did. Had I known that the branch was going to cause damage to my soft top it probably would have kept me up.

That branch probably would done a lot more damage had in some way the rear two cross members of my roof rack not broken the fall and protected the soft top. But the rear most bow holding up the top snapped in the middle, and the back of the soft top on the passenger's side now rides too high (something got bent I suspect).

Thank goodness it's not the damage we see in Florida from this storm; the loss of life. Nobody got hurt, worse died. Still more I'm pulling down the section of the top riding too high with a strap connected to the soft top frame and a "D" ring that's connected to bolt in one of the tub lip weld screw holes designed to hold down a hard top. And I metal strap repaired the break in the bow. Soon it will be hard top season anyway.

But with all that said, who would even fix this? It sounds very Bestop specific for the dealer to handle. Are bows replaceable, and bent brackets replaceable? I'll reach out to Bestop on this. Maybe I can ship it to them to fix over the winter if they even do that. Maybe it's just a total loss. I rarely go beyond Sunrider position when I have the soft top on---maybe I should just live with this.

I own, not lease, so repair is up to me. The valley in the middle of the rear most portion of the top may result in rain now collecting just forward of this spot.

Ideas? Thoughts?

IMG_2628.JPG
Sponsored