Soft Top Question

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
This is my second season with the soft top on my Jeep and I've noticed when the top is up, the trunk area fabric of the top seems to be loose to the point where it flaps around some. I swear I remember it being taut last summer and even earlier this season. Am I just "misremembering" or could something be up with the top? It's the premium top that is included in the dual top group.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This is my second season with the soft top on my Jeep and I've noticed when the top is up, the trunk area fabric of the top seems to be loose to the point where it flaps around some. I swear I remember it being taut last summer and even earlier this season. Am I just "misremembering" or could something be up with the top? It's the premium top that is included in the dual top group.
Standard or premium? 2 or 4 door?

My 2dr PST is taut.

OP
OP
Impy5

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Good to know. 4 door with premium top.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I have no issues or anything loose or flapping with my 4dr premium soft top.

BlueWilly

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys XR
I know this is an old thread but did you happen to figure out what caused it or has anyone else had this problem and had it corrected? I noticed my new (to me) ā€˜22 with premium soft top is like that where as my old Sport S I had with the basic top was TIGHT.

Sponsored

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Are you talking about the very top of the rear cargo area?
My whole top of the soft top isnā€™t super tight but it doesnā€™t flap around at highway speeds either. Mineā€™s 6 years old.

BlueWilly

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys XR
Correct the very top, looks like it sinks in and has slack. It caught my eye today when the wind was blowing and was flapping when parked.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Correct the very top, looks like it sinks in and has slack. It caught my eye today when the wind was blowing and was flapping when parked.
I see slack in sunrider mode, but not in Safari mode or with the top up. Probably need some pics for clarity/reference.

BlueWilly

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys XR
Thatā€™s the best I can do at the moment haha (10 degrees out)

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

BlueWilly

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys XR
Okay here are a few more, I even disassembled it and folded it all the way back, then reassembled it. Hereā€™s what it looks like from outside and in. You can see that the driver side isnā€™t quite sealing like the passenger side is it seems. Even in the driveway with the wind blowing the top is flapping.

Coming from a Gladiator soft top that had the dreaded problem of the latch coming undone at highway speed, you can see where Iā€™m being extra picky with my tops.

IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

IMG_4192.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

IMG_4194.jpeg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That's the dirty secret of the "premium" top: the acrylic fabric can't be stretched as tautly as can the standard sailcloth soft top. The former is also particularly susceptible to sagging, as the photos in the preceding post make abundantly plain. That's doubly true when there's any load on the top, like even a light accumulation of snow (as is easily witnessed right now) when the vehicle is parked outside.

Now that the acrylic fabric top is standard on all trims, more new owners are going to discover the same thing as time goes on.
Sponsored