Sponsored

Soft top question

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I need to get my soft top so I’m ready for next summer. I have a few easy questions.

1. The twill mopar is same as the premium rigjt?

2. When I reinstall my hardtop next winter then do I remove every single piece of hardware I added to the Jeep to put the soft top on?

3. When the soft top wears out and I need a new one I assume I can rebuy just new material vs a whole new top with the hardware?

4. Should I look into any other manufactures.

Thanks!
Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Twill is premium. Black diamond should be the regular.

The whole top removes from the roll bar mounts leaving only bolt holes behind.

If... if you manage to wear out the top you will have many choices to replace it. Easiest is probably to talk to Bestop about material or a new takeoff online from someone selling.

Other options. The fastback look is always nice. Plenty of reliable vendors out there.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
2. When I reinstall my hardtop next winter then do I remove every single piece of hardware I added to the Jeep to put the soft top on?
Once you have the soft top, you probably won't use the hardtop ever again. That's my experience.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once you have the soft top, you probably won't use the hardtop ever again. That's my experience.
I live in the northeast so we get pretty bad winters. I can't see myself using the soft top in the winter. I'm garage kept but I figured the soft top in winter would kinda suck.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
They hold the heat pretty well. I think you'd be surprised.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
They hold the heat pretty well. I think you'd be surprised.
For me, it's not the heat retention. It's nice to have a rear washer/wiper/defroster during the winter months in the northeast.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I live in the northeast so we get pretty bad winters. I can't see myself using the soft top in the winter. I'm garage kept but I figured the soft top in winter would kinda suck.
You'd be surprised. I had a CJ7 in NJ with a Bestop soft top and doors. It was fine through the winter and it was not garage kept. But still good to have both. You may find you leave the softop on a lot longer than you think you will. LOL

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I have only ever owned soft tops (YJ and TJ) and had no winter issues. Getting the snow off the top is a breeze, just punch the soft top from the inside until it all comes off :like:

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i hear you guys about leaving it on longer. i can't wait to get it. if the doors were easier for me to store in my garage they would be off all the time in summer. i loved it!

our winters are so messy anymore with ice and rain and just crap that's why i figured i would still use the hard top. im on the road all day for my job so i figured hard top would be my go to in winter.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what about price for new. my dealer quoted me the quadratic price and i have a 15 percent off up to 200 dollars so i can use that, but anywhere else i should look for a cheaper price new?

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
i hear you guys about leaving it on longer. i can't wait to get it. if the doors were easier for me to store in my garage they would be off all the time in summer. i loved it!

our winters are so messy anymore with ice and rain and just crap that's why i figured i would still use the hard top. im on the road all day for my job so i figured hard top would be my go to in winter.
You can also get soft doors from Bestop. They are 2 piece. Leave the bottom half door on or take the whole thing off and throw it in the back.:rock:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can also get soft doors from Bestop. They are 2 piece. Leave the bottom half door on or take the whole thing off and throw it in the back.:rock:
Nice. Ok I’ll check that out.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good price. They seem legit. I'd seriously look at Bestop too, but that does look like a good price.
Ok thanks man. I’ll call them Monday. I mean it’s a 500 dollar savings unless they crush me for shipping.
Sponsored