Sponsored

Soft top perforations -- identification, etc.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
(No joy from Search results, so I'm starting a new thread.)

I've just noticed two wear points on the forward interior portion of my JLU's soft top. They are adjacent to the driver and passenger's heads. A bit of research seems to confirm these are wear points that occur as a consequence of folding the top back when placing it in the Sunrider position, or lowering it completely.

I've the sail cloth top on my Jeep. Possibly, the same issue may eventually also occur on the twill soft tops.

This is a bit disheartening to observe on a vehicle that isn't yet one year old.

I'm not yet convinced if I'd have a strong warranty claim here. Replacing the soft top would, it seems, only buy me a bit of time before the same thing occurs again.

With the foregoing in mind, I'm open to suggestions regarding durable adhesive patches that I could affix to the pictured wear areas. Anything that will stay in place, and survive recurring contact with the folded frame.

Some years ago, I used duct tape when attending to the same issue on the convertible top of my MGB, but I'm holding myself to a higher standard these days. :) TIA.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top perforations -- identification, etc. Pending perf

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top perforations -- identification, etc. 20210921_180007

Free Bonus content:
Sport owners have the perfect cubby in which to stow oil analysis sample containers when taking them to the P.O. for mailing to Blackstone Laboratories.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top perforations -- identification, etc. 20210921_181029
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My shows a little wear in the same spot, but on the top side. Also less then a year old and not exactly driven much. But when is, the top is usually down and I make damn sure it’s secure without any movement. To me, comes by as bad design with all the pinch areas to wear the top when folded.

AUeng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(No joy from Search results, so I'm starting a new thread.)

I've just noticed two wear points on the forward interior portion of my JLU's soft top. They are adjacent to the driver and passenger's heads. A bit of research seems to confirm these are wear points that occur as a consequence of folding the top back when placing it in the Sunrider position, or lowering it completely.

I've the sail cloth top on my Jeep. Possibly, the same issue may eventually also occur on the twill soft tops.

This is a bit disheartening to observe on a vehicle that isn't yet one year old.

I'm not yet convinced if I'd have a strong warranty claim here. Replacing the soft top would, it seems, only buy me a bit of time before the same thing occurs again.

With the foregoing in mind, I'm open to suggestions regarding durable adhesive patches that I could affix to the pictured wear areas. Anything that will stay in place, and survive recurring contact with the folded frame.

Some years ago, I used duct tape when attending to the same issue on the convertible top of my MGB, but I'm holding myself to a higher standard these days. :) TIA.

Free Bonus content:
Sport owners have the perfect cubby in which to stow oil analysis sample containers when taking them to the P.O. for mailing to Blackstone Laboratories.

I have this same issue with the soft top on my Willys Sport. I'm curious if you ever attempted a warranty claim for this or if you found a good solution to prevent additional wear.

OP
OP
Heimkehr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T