• Total voters

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I Love that my Jeep came with the Soft top standard. How many feel the same? Or would you rather the Hard top come standard?
Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
That depends on how bad your winters are.

You are from the "northeast", so I would vote hardtop, easy. Why? Because if you buy a Jeep built for a hard top, you get the rear window defroster, wiper, and sprayer all set up. If you buy a Jeep with a soft top and then add a hard top, you either have to do without those features or pay a butt-ton to add them. If you have any intentions to go with both a soft and a hard top, you are much wiser to buy a Jeep with the hard top options built-in, then buy a soft top as an add on or later.

Last edited:

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
In 2022, when we have AC essentially standard, and freedom panels on all hard tops, hard top should be the standard. It’s better in more climates than soft top.

I have both, in Utah the soft top goes on in the spring, and the hard top goes back on in the late fall.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine with a hardtop and wished I had gone soft top I think. I’ll be moving to the northeast so gotta worry about snow loading on it I guess, but between single digits and triple digits I’ve never been uncomfortable in the soft top. The heater and AC work just fine, the heater a little too fine sometimes haha.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I bought mine with a hardtop and wished I had gone soft top I think. I’ll be moving to the northeast so gotta worry about snow loading on it I guess, but between single digits and triple digits I’ve never been uncomfortable in the soft top. The heater and AC work just fine, the heater a little too fine sometimes haha.
Soft tops are usually easy to find on a local classified section. I got mine off a guy who ordered dual top group and then decided not to use the soft top. I got it for a lot less than it was from factory, and never used.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
It makes more fiscal sense to go hard top, that way all the plumbing and wiring is done at the factory. Then you choose which soft top you want to run after. Also, which costs more after purchasing, hard top or soft?

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
@desmo2 hit the nail on the head. If you are wondering which way to go, then go hard top. Because then you get all the controls and hardware to utilize all the features of a hard top. And really if you're asking the question then you might as well get both with the dual top group. That's what I did.

I live in MN. Hard top comes off in May sometime, and back on in September. In fact I'm putting mine on tomorrow.

If you have both then the only real problem is what to do with the HT when you have it off. They do take up a lot of space so ceiling winch is the way to go if you have an open spot to put it. I put one in 3 or 4 years ago, totally worth it!!!

We bought my wife's 4xe of the lot last summer. It only had the standard soft top. We were thinking of adding a hard top for winter, but she was fine with the soft top last winter so she'll probably just stick with that. When I got mine with the dual top group, I gave her my premium soft top and I use the standard soft top. The premium top is clearly better, but I only have it up when it is raining so not really an issue for me.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It makes more fiscal sense to go hard top, that way all the plumbing and wiring is done at the factory. Then you choose which soft top you want to run after. Also, which costs more after purchasing, hard top or soft?
A Best top Soft top and a Hard top after the fact are pretty similar in price. Like $2,300ish vs $2,600. Hard top being slightly more.

I live in the Northeast so my Jeep is garage kept. If there's any heavy snow I don't really have to worry about my Soft top.

I'm a huge Soft top fan. I love being able to just throw it back in seconds at anytime whenever I'm at. So I'm OK not getting all the extra plumbing because I know I'll never install a hard top.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Softop. If they go hardtop the base price is gonna increase and youre gonna bitch about it.
Dam dude. You literally try and turn every thread I post into a pissing contest. 🙄

Yeah, sorry I wish Jeep would be more reasonable with their prices. My bad.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
A Best top Soft top and a Hard top after the fact are pretty similar in price. Like $2,300ish vs $2,600. Hard top being slightly more.

I live in the Northeast so my Jeep is garage kept. If there's any heavy snow I don't really have to worry about my Soft top.

I'm a huge Soft top fan. I love being able to just throw it back in seconds at anytime whenever I'm at. So I'm OK not getting all the extra plumbing because I know I'll never install a hard top.
Does that money factor in the wiring and plumbing along with installation? When I was pricing mine out I originally was going soft top, but then I started thinking about the what-if’s. I intend to keep it a while, what if I want a roof rack, what about resale value and market appeal, what if I want more insulation later on? The soft tops are very cool looking though, I like the fastback look especially.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I got the premium soft top from a guy who decided he didn’t want his. He got the dual top group with his rubi, ended up putting a RTT on and decided he’d never use the soft top. It was never used when I bought it, got it for $1500 if I remember correctly. Might have been $1800.

There are a lot of them out there for a similar price here where I live.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Does that money factor in the wiring and plumbing along with installation? When I was pricing mine out I originally was going soft top, but then I started thinking about the what-if’s. I intend to keep it a while, what if I want a roof rack, what about resale value and market appeal, what if I want more insulation later on? The soft tops are very cool looking though, I like the fastback look especially.
I was just looking at the top prices themselves. Not sure if any of the hard tops come with that stuff I didn't look. Probably more to add and install the plumbing and wiring I would think.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
But you know it is true. Lol.
What part to you sounded like i denied it? I literally just said " yeah sorry I wish Jeep would be more reasonable with their prices" so yeah its no secret I'm not a fan of paying more for less. Like not getting power windows/locks and LEDS standard when even a freaking Kia Rio does. So what!

You want to bring it up in a Soft top/Hard top thread? Lol.
Sponsored