Soft top only folks- any regrets?

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is my third Jeep. The first two had hard tops.

I'm very happy with my softtop. No.regrets.

My second Jeep got broken in. It got the passenger window smashed.
Sponsored

Mr.Fatstacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Sport Manual
First Jeep. Soft top (not premium) only.

As mentioned above it’s inconvenient to load taller things in the back without folding up the rear window, but ya deal with it.

It’s not as loud as I thought it was going to be on the highway, and I keep the fire under the hood stoked enough to keep me warm even though my dealer installed aftermarket seat heaters have yet to be dealer installed.

Oh yeah, I’m in Canada.
I live on a ski hill.
And it’s winter.
No regrets at all.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Not sure I have regrets or not but I might thing twice next time. I haven't had mine for long but the back window is a pain. The increase in noise is quite a bit especially if you are running M/T tires. It seems much more difficult to control temp when it gets colder, I have the auto temp control and it puts out most of the heat on the floor so to maintain the upper air temp it blast out you feet. I took a trip last week and was driving in some heavy winds and I know even with my hard top jeep it was no fun but with the soft top at times it felt it was going to blow the top right off. Still love the jeep and over time I will learn to figure out some of the oddities. Just my observations not really trying to criticize.

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
My 3rd Jeep. CJ with hard top. TJu with hard top, jl soft top. I will never go back to a hard top. They just sit in the back yard and look ugly. If you plan on going top down/off when you can, then the hard top sucks.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A hard top was the only factory option (OK no smoker package either) I did not get on my JLUR.
Other than it's kind if a pain on the soft top, but you can easily flip up the rear window open to get big items in the back. And a rear defroster would come in handy some mornings.

In Georgia, I get a lot of days where it might be nice for a while and have the top down then later rainy or cool where I'd want to throw the top back on. Not doing that with the hard top.

If I was in a northern area where I got heavy snow, I'd get a Hard Top.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Premium soft top here. Back window is a pain and it gets filthy everyday. Wet dirty roads up here ! Temps are in the teens and 20's everyday and my Jeep is plenty warm. My wifes Jeep has a hard top , so much easier to deal with back window. Do I have any regrets ? Yeah , I probably should have taken my education more seriously ! I effed around in high school and college too much !

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Not at all. This is my first Jeep and the expectation was it would be a little drafty and the wind noise would be really distracting. And I have been pleasantly surprised that neither of those has been an issue.
On a side note, I'm really surprised by how it warms up so quickly on the frosty mornings. Literally under two minutes before the windshield started to thaw and clear in four minutes. Maybe I'll be able to retire my ice scrapper this year. Maybe.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Not at all. This is my first Jeep and the expectation was it would be a little drafty and the wind noise would be really distracting. And I have been pleasantly surprised that neither of those has been an issue.
On a side note, I'm really surprised by how it warms up so quickly on the frosty mornings. Literally under two minutes before the windshield started to thaw and clear in four minutes. Maybe I'll be able to retire my ice scrapper this year. Maybe.
Speaking of frosty mornings , this is what I faced today at 7 30 AM and I was toasty . There is no problem having a soft top in cold weather,trust me !

IMG_0856.JPG

NickM

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL SPort S
Two complaints: back window as others have said, and the gutter that drips rain into the footwell when you open the door. But nothing’s perfect and the hard top was never an option for me - it’s my first Jeep and I wanted the classic soft top look.
Is the dripping gutter typical for all JL’s with premium soft top?

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Hard Top - Wife's choice. Probably get a SunRider (Twill I hear is best) to swap out the panels unless I can get the soft top for a comparable price. I had a question for the soft toppers - In the past I see soft top windows that get to the point you cannot see out of them. Has that been fixed or is that still a concern after many years? Not sure what the top and windows are even made of these days with technology advances. Personal preference is usually the end all for these choices

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Is the dripping gutter typical for all JL’s with premium soft top?
It’s typical for both premium/base soft tops and the hardtop.

There is no escape.

Pick your poison.

It’s a JL thing..

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Absolutely no regrets! It’s a Jeep, so it was the only way to go. I don’t get the people who claim they have more road noise, don’t buy that at all. As for comments about cold climate, don’t get them either. Zero issues in the cold and snow.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
It’s typical for both premium/base soft tops and the hardtop.

There is no escape.

Pick your poison.

It’s a JL thing..
Pretty sure it’s just a Jeep thing. It did it on all of my JKs and I think I remember it happening with my YJs, too. That was over 15 years ago, though, so I can’t exactly remember.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure it’s just a Jeep thing. It did it on all of my JKs and I think I remember it happening with my YJs, too. That was over 15 years ago, though, so I can’t exactly remember.
JL thing Jeep thing same thing. Thanks for pointing that out though it changes things
Sponsored