Sponsored

Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

Deleted member 29417

Hey, guys please delete if there is a similar thread already. I got the soft top with the intention of getting a fastback hard top. But now I'm not too sure if I want to. Well actually I'm still getting the hard top but I'm really loving how easy it is to use the soft top.

I don't have any tips and tricks yet but thanks in advance for anyone that contributes.

asset.JPG

Capture.JPG
Sponsored

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
After coming from a YJ, then a JKU, both with hard tops, I am absolutely loving the versatility of the soft top on my JLU.

If the temp is above 60, I go sunrider in about 10 seconds.

If the temp is above 70, I pop out the back windows and go topless (or safari) in about 2 minutes.

If the temp is above 80, doors off in about 15 minutes.

When I get to the beach, windshield down.

JL/JLU in soft top is a big, big winner. So versatile and fast to convert in any moderate temperature. I have been getting the sun and wind in my face on several of our spring weekends here in the Mid-Atlantic while I pass hardtops that haven't committed to the nice weather yet, which seems a shame.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I just throw my windows in the back. I got some Harbor Freight moving blankets and I put them between the windows. The windows can't be touching when it's hot or they will stick together and get ruined. Don't ask me how I know.

I bought a roll of velcro from Walmart. Cut off two long strips and I use them to strap the top to the roll bar and eliminate the bouncing.

I have also found that in Safari mode with the windows up I keep the whole cabin dry even in pouring rain (just some rain gets in behind the rear seat). So even with pop-up storms I can be from top down to dry in just a minute. My last Jeep was a YJ so yeah the new top is amazing to me.

impatientray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Tip: check the fabric before locking.

I had my 2018 JLU premium top replaced by my dealer due to "wear" in the top. I found the culprit after the replacement, of course... Fabric gets bunched up here unless I move it out of the way on both sides - is it just me having this issue?

6DRQxXgxGR-ijTYGHDctWPkrb6ApwkerDwzG63Xsmx5BwnkvKGbD-Uk2zNqIfFHJCueOSH194V47QyZreywXD9DaXrOBKw-G.png

I move it before locking so it looks like this instead.
IYAyFJ4FZvFCAcTkhghVIYO6gvYZSUvMRApQCO6f3aiRP4LD6Rax447IrsarOwg2xEfy6XTYPyeX09z52Wo2wq75xexceIcv.png

Also, when they installed the new "and improved skin", these new clips keep the top from sitting as flush as it used to in the grooves.

S2iqVdO8t58bQEKhKOAIQKcCXgKkYUMNXWiBpBAjrd7sxsXz4GRlNCpGlZZig-shzQWoEgPY3Olu5vj0UXiIAnrYOXqFaSnS.png

Also, I have this nice little bunch of fabric and no clue how to fix. Sigh.

C8BD5sC3a71_OwKVIaklGTmgFJ3PxPIZj0waiS_7TF_VNg8b6ygM6Dmc2NtaSH61__NwI6GSQiDVetf2cB8A_Tvmc34EAuD0.png

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar window bag kinda sucks. The fabric they use to divide the windows will easily fall down if you stand the bag up up with the handles up. I’m going to use some clips to secure the fabric to the windows edge so it won’t fall.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Also, when they installed the new "and improved skin", these new clips keep the top from sitting as flush as it used to in the grooves.

S2iqVdO8t58bQEKhKOAIQKcCXgKkYUMNXWiBpBAjrd7sxsXz4GRlNCpGlZZig-shzQWoEgPY3Olu5vj0UXiIAnrYOXqFaSnS.png

C8BD5sC3a71_OwKVIaklGTmgFJ3PxPIZj0waiS_7TF_VNg8b6ygM6Dmc2NtaSH61__NwI6GSQiDVetf2cB8A_Tvmc34EAuD0.png
My top was somewhat similar to this when I first installed it. Mine got better after I let it stretch for a while (a few weeks) and let it get wet a few times.

Sponsored

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
Tip: check the fabric before locking.

I had my 2018 JLU premium top replaced by my dealer due to "wear" in the top. I found the culprit after the replacement, of course... Fabric gets bunched up here unless I move it out of the way on both sides - is it just me having this issue?

6DRQxXgxGR-ijTYGHDctWPkrb6ApwkerDwzG63Xsmx5BwnkvKGbD-Uk2zNqIfFHJCueOSH194V47QyZreywXD9DaXrOBKw-G.png

I move it before locking so it looks like this instead.
IYAyFJ4FZvFCAcTkhghVIYO6gvYZSUvMRApQCO6f3aiRP4LD6Rax447IrsarOwg2xEfy6XTYPyeX09z52Wo2wq75xexceIcv.png

I haven't had the issue, but then again I don't have the premium version. Mine folds like a cheap suit! Of course, I also usually stick my hand in while folding slowly to make sure everything makes a clean fold and doesn't bunch anywhere.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
+1 on the velcro straps to tie around the folded top and keep it from bouncing up. +1 on the Rampage storage bag, I bought one and love it. I also stick my hand on the top when folding to make sure it doesn't bunch up. I came from a TJ and am amazed at how easy it is to lower the top on the JL.

uglyyeti

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR, '18 JK Sport, '17 Tundra, '17 X5d
Does anyone know if a version of this top is or will be available for the JK? I love the Skyroof on my JLUR, but I'd buy this in a heartbeat for my daughter's JK.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Any tips on washing jeep with premium soft top?
Is it ok to take it through car wash?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Does anyone know if a version of this top is or will be available for the JK? I love the Skyroof on my JLUR, but I'd buy this in a heartbeat for my daughter's JK.
Yes, bestop calls it the ultimate top I think. I'm not sure if it's available yet.
Sponsored