Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey, guys please delete if there is a similar thread already. I got the soft top with the intention of getting a fastback hard top. But now I'm not too sure if I want to. Well actually I'm still getting the hard top but I'm really loving how easy it is to use the soft top.

I don't have any tips and tricks yet but thanks in advance for anyone that contributes.

asset.JPG

Capture.JPG
So you took your seats out o like day one?
Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
When the top and doors are off I've started using 32nrr earplugs on long trips (30+ minutes). I noticed that I am much less fatigued and enjoy the ride more. Especially if the road is concrete or has sound walls/jersey barriers that reflect the noise back at you. in particular, big rig tires on concrete with soundwalls hit just the wrong frequency for me.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
When the top and doors are off I've started using 32nrr earplugs on long trips (30+ minutes). I noticed that I am much less fatigued and enjoy the ride more. Especially if the road is concrete or has sound walls/jersey barriers that reflect the noise back at you. in particular, big rig tires on concrete with soundwalls hit just the wrong frequency for me.
If you run a good sunshade it really helps with long highway miles. I've done 5hr drive with the top down and windows down, but the mesh sunshade really cuts down on the thumping air. For JLs Jtops makes the sunshade to get if you're doing highway speeds. With a top like that I do not get numb ears. If you're only doing 35ish and less MPH then I don't think the sunshades do much except block some of the sun.
Doors off I've done 1hr ish long drives at highway speeds and haven't notice much difference between that and windows down, just a small increase in sound.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
If you run a good sunshade it really helps with long highway miles. I've done 5hr drive with the top down and windows down, but the mesh sunshade really cuts down on the thumping air. For JLs Jtops makes the sunshade to get if you're doing highway speeds. With a top like that I do not get numb ears. If you're only doing 35ish and less MPH then I don't think the sunshades do much except block some of the sun.
Doors off I've done 1hr ish long drives at highway speeds and haven't notice much difference between that and windows down, just a small increase in sound.
I keep going back and forth on whether to get a sunshade (If I do, I think it will be JTops). I really like the idea of some sun protection, hadn't thought about the wind/noise side, but how much, if any, does it reduce the open feel of having the top down?

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I keep going back and forth on whether to get a sunshade (If I do, I think it will be JTops). I really like the idea of some sun protection, hadn't thought about the wind/noise side, but how much, if any, does it reduce the open feel of having the top down?
i have the alien shade sun shade and i love it. I feel like it does not imped on the open feeling at all. just helps with getting burnt all day while driving topless.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
At first you notice it and it does impeded that open feel a small amount, again initially. With doors off it doesn't change that feeling, only with doors on. Personally I like it because i'm not roasting in the sun and if you ever drive where you're stopped at a traffic light it is really nice to not have that oven feeling from sitting in the sun w/o any wind.

Now that I've had one for a few years (JK and JL) it doesn't have any affect on the open feeling. Plus its better for me w/ sun exposure and for my kids in the back seat.

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
JL has snaps as well my factory had the loop with a snap so theoretically could install loops. It was a very very early soft top might have removed in later production.

Yes I know its dirty, but dang that picture adds a few layers lol.

20210610_084651.jpg
My JLUR came with the straps with the snaps. It’s a 2021 JL I bought on June 9.

Sponsored

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Admittedly I didn't go back through all 13 pages, but I have some mud stains on my Black Twill Sunrider for Hard Tops - how do I get them out so it's nice and clean again?

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Alright. I know y’all are tired of me by now but I need this group’s advice again and hopefully this will be the last time.

Have a lady local to me that has a premium soft top, black twill, tinted windows but is from a 2018 so it’s not the newer “AB” version.

I just went by to check it out and, other than being dirty, it looks to be in great shape. She’s asking $800.

Seems like a good deal to me. What say you?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Alright. I know y’all are tired of me by now but I need this group’s advice again and hopefully this will be the last time.

Have a lady local to me that has a premium soft top, black twill, tinted windows but is from a 2018 so it’s not the newer “AB” version.

I just went by to check it out and, other than being dirty, it looks to be in great shape. She’s asking $800.

Seems like a good deal to me. What say you?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-82215146-vs-82215146ab.65342/
Comments 10 & 11 seem to outline the difference.

As a owner of an original early model 2018. I don't have any problems with the soft-top except 1 small thing, the rear tabs on the rear window like to come out of the body. I heard they fixed those tabs later in 2018. Its not been a problem, merely cosmetic, that I tuck those back in when I notice they are out.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have an early 18 top and 800 is a great price. Had to replace my rear window after it getting hit in -7 degrees F that plastic shattered like glass. New replacement window tabs do stay in better for sure but was not a problem with any consequences on the original window.
Sponsored