Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sunrider + rear window only sounds like the weirdest way to run it. I wish running it with just the side windows (and rear removed) was viable.
Sponsored

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
You can run Sunrider open with side windows in and back window out.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You can run Sunrider open with side windows in and back window out.
Only if you want to take the chance of looking for a side window in a ditch somewhere. I did this, and did not loose mine got lucky.. A supplemental was released to the owners manual saying not to do this. A few members have lost a window running no back window installed.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have Sky One which is basically an auto soft top. The rear window is glass like on the hard top. If I run tube doors and side windows out my Jeep struggles with the wind I guess due to a parachute effect. I can tell because if I set my cruise control to 74 the Jeep has a hard time maintaining it.

NoVABr0ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S 75D; Mercedes GLS450
Is it ok to roll up the back window? Looks like the Jeep comes with factory loops with snaps. Is that what those are for? My Jeep came with a bag to hold my non-existent freedom panels so not really sure whats supposed to be used or tossed.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Only if you want to take the chance of looking for a side window in a ditch somewhere. I did this, and did not loose mine got lucky.. A supplemental was released to the owners manual saying not to do this. A few members have lost a window running no back window installed.
Yea this seems like a bad idea. I consider myself pretty well-versed in this soft top after running it for a solid three years, and the back soft window is integral to keeping the sides nice and tight. You'd probably be fine cruising around town, but anything at highway speeds I would think those side windows would eventually work their way loose and blow off.

But I'm pretty cautious, so who know? I'm also not a fan of folding back just the front portion of the soft top and running with all the other windows in. That's a heck of a lot of air funneling in and pushing outward on all the stuff in the back, but everyone does it and it seems fine.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Is it ok to roll up the back window? Looks like the Jeep comes with factory loops with snaps. Is that what those are for? My Jeep came with a bag to hold my non-existent freedom panels so not really sure whats supposed to be used or tossed.
There's such loops on/for the JL/JLU's rear window, which cannot and should not be rolled up.

If you're referring to the nylon straps provided at delivery, they're intended to lash around the soft top framework when lowered, so as to prevent movement when driving at higher speeds.

Edit: I received two pairs of straps; the second intended to hold the windscreen in place when lowered.

Last edited:

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I only stated that because I saw it stated in a Bestop video. Now that I have a Supertop Ultra (as of today), it's very clear to me you can't do it. Sorry for putting bad information here...

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I only stated that because I saw it stated in a Bestop video. Now that I have a Supertop Ultra (as of today), it's very clear to me you can't do it. Sorry for putting bad information here...
No problem like I said did it too myself, just got lucky and did not end up losing mine.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
How do you soft top enthusiasts wash your Jeep? By hand or through a standard car wash?
I only wash my top when it’s actually noticed dirty. I do it first with a microfiber mitt or I use this if really dirty cause it doesn’t push dirt in. Only way I wash. No high pressure stuff.
Windows get done weekly when I wash always.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks 5E7EC341-673D-4451-803C-37FA0918FB64

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
It's been less than 8 months and I'm already regretting not getting the Dual Top Group when I ordered. I have no experience running a soft top but I definitely want to be able to enjoy the open air more. Anything that I should know before I begin the search for a soft top for our JLU?

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It's been less than 8 months and I'm already regretting not getting the Dual Top Group when I ordered. I have no experience running a soft top but I definitely want to be able to enjoy the open air more. Anything that I should know before I begin the search for a soft top for our JLU?
The stock non-premium soft top is very different from the stock premium soft top. I highly recommend comparing them in person before deciding.

Zukoda

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I get around this by drilling a small hole at the bottom of each upright at the rear of the side windows and hooking together with a pair of bungee cords. Keeps the clips from blowing out at highway speeds. Works for me but use at your own risk...

Edit to add quote that got left off... "Only if you want to take the chance of looking for a side window in a ditch somewhere. I did this, and did not loose mine got lucky.. A supplemental was released to the owners manual saying not to do this. A few members have lost a window running no back window installed."

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
The stock non-premium soft top is very different from the stock premium soft top. I highly recommend comparing them in person before deciding.
From what little digging I've done, it looks like the twill top is the premium version. Is that correct? I would rather spend the extra money and get the upgraded version.
Sponsored