Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Once the rear window is removed, what keeps the side windows from coming loose?
You’re tempting fate. You will eventually lose your side windows. Manual explicitly says not to remove or roll up the back window. It’s literally what holds the sides in place.
If the side windows aren't installed correctly, they can detach while the vehicle is moving, even if the rear window is itself correctly installed at the time.

Even with the side windows properly seated & secured, though, I wouldn't drive the Jeep with the rear window removed. The current design of the side window retention system isn't sturdy enough to function independent of the supplemental protection provided with the rear window also in place. Thus the careful language in the Owner's Manual regarding this matter, and the precise decal graphic on the Mopar soft window storage bag of storing all three windows therein.
Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Someone needs to make a strap with two tabs to hold the bottom of side windows in place, mimicking what the bottom of back window does.
Yeah, that would be nice. The JL is easier to disassemble, but I like that on the JK; you could roll the back window up and inside with no problem.

I guess it's all trade offs. On my JK I never let the top all the way down before I put on a Best top , which you can't let all the way down. On my JL I've had the windows out and top down several times now.

Civil_Willy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Willys
Yeah, that would be nice. The JL is easier to disassemble, but I like that on the JK; you could roll the back window up and inside with no problem.

I guess it's all trade offs. On my JK I never let the top all the way down before I put on a Best top , which you can't let all the way down. On my JL I've had the windows out and top down several times now.
I know this has been discussed in other places, but does anyone roll up their back window (there are snaps included just for this reason I think). If you roll up the window, all the other pieces are in place so you aren't losing the framework of the rear window, just opening the window itself.

I've always been reluctant to roll it though.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I know this has been discussed in other places, but does anyone roll up their back window (there are snaps included just for this reason I think). If you roll up the window, all the other pieces are in place so you aren't losing the framework of the rear window, just opening the window itself.

No you should not drive and do this. The back window holds the side windows firmly in place it rolls up for possibly loading groceries?!? The back bottom side of the side windows pop out way to easy for driving. Yes it's been done, but do so knowing those plastic windows are $$$$.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I use the soft top all the time, I hoisted my hard top in the garage ceiling.

what gets to me to most about the soft top is dust getting inside the Jeep at the back rear corners.

Any advice for dust sealing?

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport

I've not seen straps for rolling up the back window, am I missing something? Are you referring to the Velcro straps that were with the tool kit and such? Those are to secure the top when in sun rider mode.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I've not seen straps for rolling up the back window, am I missing something? Are you referring to the Velcro straps that were with the tool kit and such? Those are to secure the top when in sun rider mode.
The snaps are on the rear bow, but I don’t think they came with the JL.
BUPP Rear Window Straps for Jeep Wrangler Jk Jku Soft Top Straps Tiedown Straps Adjustable Straps (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MY3GT2...abc_NZA3DATQV7KWSY5BTNTM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JL has snaps as well my factory had the loop with a snap so theoretically could install loops. It was a very very early soft top might have removed in later production.

Yes I know its dirty, but dang that picture adds a few layers lol.

20210610_084651.jpg

Sponsored

Spinodi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I am soft-top guy ... always have been. I am waiting for my 2021 JLUR to arrive (currently in shipping phase, Yeah!) and I have some questions about soft-top storage. This will be my 3rd Wrangler, I've had two TJ's (1997 & 2002) - both soft-tops. On the TJ, I would roll up the side windows and throw them in the back storage space, and I would roll-up the back window and use the straps to hold that in place ... then I could pull the top down to the back.

Questions about the 2021 JLUR:
* Can you roll-up the back window and leave it in AND pull the top down?
* I see lots of side window bags / holders... should I not roll the side windows?
* Assuming the answer to the above is "don't roll the sides" ... where do you guys store the windows?
- my issue is that I plan to keep my golf clubs in my Jeep (will probably get a cover for the back storage space) ... is there a good storage solution for the side (and back?) windows that doesn't take up too much of the cargo space? I need to keep the sides with me in case of the unexpected rain/weather - otherwise I would leave them home.
* Anybody else use your cargo space (golf clubs or something else) and have the top off often? What do you do?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The rear window on my YJ was designed to be rolled up, with elastic loops provided for that purpose. The side window panel retention design was such that they weren't at risk of leaving the vehicle (with the rear window rolled up) as they are on the JL/JLU.

Anyway, despite taking proper care, the rear window on the YJ had permanent indentations evident thereon after the first rolling/unrolling. The cost of doing business, it would seem.

The clear vinyl panel on the JL-generation rear window is notably more robust than that on the YJ. More to the point, the retention tabs on the L & R edges (and the related language in the Owner's Manual) makes it plain that the rear window should not be rolled up, even if the owner configures some manner of holding it in place when rolled up.

This is not how we roll, lol.

As for storing the [clean, dry] window panels when removed from the vehicle, the Mopar storage bag works very well. The width of the bag is such that it will only fit diagonally in the rear cargo area, though, meaning it can't be carried there if a hard panel storage assembly is installed.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am soft-top guy ... always have been. I am waiting for my 2021 JLUR to arrive (currently in shipping phase, Yeah!) and I have some questions about soft-top storage. This will be my 3rd Wrangler, I've had two TJ's (1997 & 2002) - both soft-tops. On the TJ, I would roll up the side windows and throw them in the back storage space, and I would roll-up the back window and use the straps to hold that in place ... then I could pull the top down to the back.

Questions about the 2021 JLUR:
* Can you roll-up the back window and leave it in AND pull the top down?
* I see lots of side window bags / holders... should I not roll the side windows?
* Assuming the answer to the above is "don't roll the sides" ... where do you guys store the windows?
- my issue is that I plan to keep my golf clubs in my Jeep (will probably get a cover for the back storage space) ... is there a good storage solution for the side (and back?) windows that doesn't take up too much of the cargo space? I need to keep the sides with me in case of the unexpected rain/weather - otherwise I would leave them home.
* Anybody else use your cargo space (golf clubs or something else) and have the top off often? What do you do?
This is the storage bag I use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OMRK4...imm_899ST0Y2N75H01M5XBMQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Put back window in first with 1/3rd hanging out then two side windows it has protective layers to separate windows. Then fold part of back window sticking out over the thickest part of side windows this gives a nice big radius to keep from creasing. Then easily fits right behind seat or lay flat in back.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use the soft top all the time, I hoisted my hard top in the garage ceiling.

what gets to me to most about the soft top is dust getting inside the Jeep at the back rear corners.

Any advice for dust sealing?
I would like to know if anyone has removed the top and hosed down the underside to give it a good cleaning.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do not use the "Aerospace" protectant.. You want to use 303 fabric protectant on the top. "Aerospace" is for plastics , interior, tires, etc..
I drive my 2-door Sport (with sail cloth soft top) in safari mode 99% of the time, even at freeway speeds, with no problems whatsoever. In fact, the vehicle clearly handles better without the side/rear windows, especially during strong crosswinds, which are common here in SoCal. I typically have a tonneau cover installed as well, which goes a long way towards keeping things relatively clean, safe, and out of view.

Apologies for revisiting the discussion about Aerospace products, but I am more confused than ever. Clearly, 303's fabric protectant is optimal for premium/twill, but which product is safe for sail cloth/vinyl tops?
Sponsored