Sponsored

Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
my he twill is thinker nicer, and especially on the interior a much cleaner nicer look.. the sail cloth interior looks cheap and like the underside of a Walmart sunshade.. I would definitely go premium
I’m actually the exact opposite lol

I think the twill looks cheaper on the outside than the sailcloth.

The sailcloth has a bit of a shine to it which I like because it goes better in my opinion with the gloss finish.

It’s also easier to clean.

In fact before I knew which was which I automatically assumed the twill was the lesser of the two lol

In terms of the inside they could have done better to your defense but to me it just looks like canvas, rugged, raw and all manly like, like my beard. LOL
Sponsored

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
So here is my question,,
I would love to put the side rails down,, like people say, more of a cleaner look...
So maybe 2 doors are different, but when i release the wheels from the top track, the side rails only go about 1/2 way down..

It hits the mechanism that locks the top that i circled gets in the way,,,

Am i doing something wrong?

1 thing i saw in my 2 door vs the 4 door- the locking device is on the inside of the rollbar on the 4 door, but on my 2 door, it is on the outside..

I wonder if that is normal?? Maybe?

Any help? Please... and Thank you

TOP Q.JPG

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Hey does anyone know if the tan soft top fabric is actually available? I feel like I've seen it online at a couple places, but I have driven past hundreds of jeeps and haven't yet seen one JL with the tan fabric.

I have a red JL and my wife keeps saying a tan top would look hideous, but I feel like it would look old school. Nothing to it but to try is what I say lol

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
With the two door soft top, can the JL be driven with the side panels installed, but the rear panel removed? Top up of course.
No. The back window holds the sides in place. The manual is clear that this is not supported. Sure, someone is going to chime in to say they do it, but it’s just a matter of before they lose their side windows.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
Hey does anyone know if the tan soft top fabric is actually available? I feel like I've seen it online at a couple places, but I have driven past hundreds of jeeps and haven't yet seen one JL with the tan fabric.

I have a red JL and my wife keeps saying a tan top would look hideous, but I feel like it would look old school. Nothing to it but to try is what I say lol
I have the 4 pieces for the tan soft top on order from Quadratec. The rear window has bee delivered, but the other 3 peices are on backorder.

Going on a Sarge 2 door.

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL

I feel the same way!!
I too have a red 2 door....
i want a tan top so bad as well.
mans for the same reason.. Total old school.
If you find out, I’d like to know.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Tip
Soft top windows are very fragile in cold weather, they become brittle, so make sure no camp gear or camp chairs bump them in cold temps under 30f. It will crack and rip window.
Yep it was -4 (I am in East Texas not normal temps last week) had a rope come loose when the guy I was pulling out tow hook broke rear window shattered like glass. I was using a yankum rope, they work great!

My tip carry a roll of clear gorilla tape the wider kind works great in a pinch with patching window.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I just throw my windows in the back. I got some Harbor Freight moving blankets and I put them between the windows. The windows can't be touching when it's hot or they will stick together and get ruined. Don't ask me how I know.

I bought a roll of velcro from Walmart. Cut off two long strips and I use them to strap the top to the roll bar and eliminate the bouncing.

I have also found that in Safari mode with the windows up I keep the whole cabin dry even in pouring rain (just some rain gets in behind the rear seat). So even with pop-up storms I can be from top down to dry in just a minute. My last Jeep was a YJ so yeah the new top is amazing to me.

Ya I do the same it’s really not an issue at all, I am in safari 9’moths of the year

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say the only thing I need help with is how to get the locking "click" when the top is all the way down. I flip the Unlock to Lock on the cage bar, but when I push down, I don't hear this audible click that all the YouTubers go on and on about, and my top still wants to float up the rail slightly if gently pushed.
Mine doesn’t seem to lock when I do it but after I drive around it always seems to be properly engaged

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
L,
So here is my question,,
I would love to put the side rails down,, like people say, more of a cleaner look...
So maybe 2 doors are different, but when i release the wheels from the top track, the side rails only go about 1/2 way down..

It hits the mechanism that locks the top that i circled gets in the way,,,

Am i doing something wrong?

1 thing i saw in my 2 door vs the 4 door- the locking device is on the inside of the rollbar on the 4 door, but on my 2 door, it is on the outside..

I wonder if that is normal?? Maybe?

Any help? Please... and Thank you

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks 1614245780515
That is the normal placement of the mechanism you have circled, the 2 door on the outside .

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Ya I do the same it’s really not an issue at all, I am in safari 9’moths of the year
I have added a Rampage tonneau cover and it keeps more rain out in safari mode.