Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Any tips on washing jeep with premium soft top?
Is it ok to take it through car wash?
I’ve stayed away from commercial car washes with my standard 4 door soft top. Just too much acreage, too many seals, bumps and folds. Too much to go wrong. Throughout the winter I did use a self-service car wash to clean the body and lightly spray the top and windows. Worked fine, stayed clean. I had a Mustang convertible prior, and used the full car wash frequently. Never had a problem, but that top was tiny in comparison to the Jeep.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Any tips on washing jeep with premium soft top?
Is it ok to take it through car wash?
Personally I refuse to take mine though an automatic car wash. I only wash the top with low pressure and water only (no soap), either in my driveway or in a DIY car wash. I figure better safe than sorry, and so far it works fine for me.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Personally I refuse to take mine though an automatic car wash. I only wash the top with low pressure and water only (no soap), either in my driveway or in a DIY car wash. I figure better safe than sorry, and so far it works fine for me.
Thanks, that's what I figured...washed it in DIY wash.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
I'd say the only thing I need help with is how to get the locking "click" when the top is all the way down. I flip the Unlock to Lock on the cage bar, but when I push down, I don't hear this audible click that all the YouTubers go on and on about, and my top still wants to float up the rail slightly if gently pushed.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say the only thing I need help with is how to get the locking "click" when the top is all the way down. I flip the Unlock to Lock on the cage bar, but when I push down, I don't hear this audible click that all the YouTubers go on and on about, and my top still wants to float up the rail slightly if gently pushed.
Mine never clicks either, I think it's because it's already lower than the "locking point" when I flip the latches. It bounces a little when I'm driving but I'm not too worried about it.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Mine never clicks either, I think it's because it's already lower than the "locking point" when I flip the latches. It bounces a little when I'm driving but I'm not too worried about it.
Same. I just got my JL and put the top down this weekend. I haven’t heard a click. I bought some Velcro straps that seem to be working well in keeping the top from bouncing too much. I used the small straps that came with the Jeep to keep the rear seatbelts from flapping.

impatientray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That's interesting - I definitely get a subtle click when it kicks in. You shouldn't be able to pull the top back up once locked in. Make sure yours doesn't have the fabric stuck like my pictures above show it naturally does for me.

bgirly49

First Name
Bernadette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Firecracker Red Wrangler Sport JL
Same. I just got my JL and put the top down this weekend. I haven’t heard a click. I bought some Velcro straps that seem to be working well in keeping the top from bouncing too much. I used the small straps that came with the Jeep to keep the rear seatbelts from flapping.
Some say the click is only with Unlimited when lowered all the way down. 2 dr apparently do not go down as far... although I have a 2 dr Sport and heard a click on passanger side when lowered for first time.
How is your rear window retainer bar ? It looks as though they should lock up in their square slots..but mine dont quite click in.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have never gotten a click (4-door with Premium Soft Top). I have given up on that.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Some say the click is only with Unlimited when lowered all the way down. 2 dr apparently do not go down as far... although I have a 2 dr Sport and heard a click on passanger side when lowered for first time.
How is your rear window retainer bar ? It looks as though they should lock up in their square slots..but mine dont quite click in.
I haven't put the windows and retainer bar back in, so don't know :). We're taking the dog to the beach Saturday and I'll put the top up for the trip and will find out how it goes.

Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I have never gotten a click out of my bracket either.

I use the provided velcro straps to attach the top to the sport bar here, it eliminates 95% of the flapping on the highway.

ytE1HQa.jpg

NX2DxLp.jpg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
If you're a Dual Top Owner, consider saving the box the windows came in so as to have a place to store those windows when the soft top is off for the winter.

….not the humongous box that takes up the entire area behind the two front seats that the entire soft top came in when you bought your new JL...

...just the large but thin box inside that humongous box that the windows are stored in.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
recommendations on how to clean soft top after birds crap all over it? is there any spray, wash, or brush that works best for this. or just something in general that most of you use to clean your top to keep it nice and clean and unstained by the elements.

this is my first soft top and I get a lot of seagulls down in south jersey in the summer just want to be prepared to get it off without having a bunch of stains all over the top.

I have the premium soft top it it makes a difference.

Thank you
Dan

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're a Dual Top Owner, consider saving the box the windows came in so as to have a place to store those windows when the soft top is off for the winter.

….not the humongous box that takes up the entire area behind the two front seats that the entire soft top came in when you bought your new JL...

...just the large but thin box inside that humongous box that the windows are stored in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't know that I'll use it for storage, but I may since I still have it. Good thinkin' :like:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have never gotten a click out of my bracket either.

I use the provided velcro straps to attach the top to the sport bar here, it eliminates 95% of the flapping on the highway.

ytE1HQa.jpg

NX2DxLp.jpg
John..maybe you tried...some report putting some downward pressure on the otherwise bunched up and open top that stored in the rear--just like your picture shows--as the thing that gets the click to occur.

~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored