Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was super against the soft top on my two-door, but when looking for my JLUR, I wanted to test drive it to check out the noise and to really see how annoying the rear window removal was.

The rear window still isn’t as convenient as my hard top, but that’s to be expected. It still wasn’t as big of a pain as I initially made it it to be. That being said, the ease of putting the top back is incredible, and like most here, safari mode has to be the coolest look for the JL no matter the number of doors.

The rampage bag that was mentioned here several times has been a game changer as well. If there’s ever a way to make the rear window easier to access, it would make the soft top perfect in my eyes.

I’m still undecided on a tonneau cover or a security box for the rear, so I’m open to any feedback you guys have on those.
Sponsored

NoVABr0ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S 75D; Mercedes GLS450
How do you soft top enthusiasts wash your Jeep? By hand or through a standard car wash?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I would like to know if anyone has removed the top and hosed down the underside to give it a good cleaning.
I did and it worked great for me :) But dont take my word for it, Looks like I'm doing some things with my soft top that go against the manual.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
How do you soft top enthusiasts wash your Jeep? By hand or through a standard car wash?
Either at a self serve coin op car wash (well the one I've been going to takes credit cards now) or by hand.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m personally a hand wash type of guy. Sometimes I’ll use a self-service wash in a pinch. I don’t trust any non-touchless car washes to not leave swirl marks in the paint. I’m apparently perfectly capable of that on my own 🙃.

The soft top makes washing easier because less paint to clean. I let the rain rinse off the top for now and I’ll put a protectant on every few months.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hand wash only. Convertible tops and plastic window panels have no business being anywhere near high pressure wash sprays, touchless or otherwise. Others may disagree, and that's fine.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Apologies for revisiting the discussion about Aerospace products, but I am more confused than ever. Clearly, 303's fabric protectant is optimal for premium/twill, but which product is safe for sail cloth/vinyl tops?
I have the same question, I couldn't tell for sure reading thru this thread. I do not have the premium top either...

NoVABr0ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys drive in BOTH sunrider and safari mode? I heard that is risky but not sure why.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Do you guys drive in BOTH Sunrider and safari mode?
I heard that is risky but not sure why.
No. There were warning stickers on my soft top's frame that specifically warned against doing so. That's enough to convince me.

Last edited:

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys drive in BOTH sunrider and safari mode? I heard that is risky but not sure why.
You mean at the same time? I must be missing something, but I thought safari mode is top fully on but back window and quarter panels out. Sunrider is top back, but not fully down, with variations on windows in or out. Not sure how you do both at the same time.

From the manual
" The following options are available to you when lowering your vehicle’s soft top:
Sunrider® position with rear and quarter windows installed
Sunrider® position with rear and quarter panels removed
Sunrider® position with rear window installed and quarter panels removed
Fully lowered position with rear and quarter windows removed
Both quarter windows should be removed and installed together."

All windows need to be out if putting top fully down.

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If I am running safari mode, I don't bother with sunrider position. I just fold the top completely down. Just one extra easy step to do this, and worth it.

NoVABr0ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mean at the same time? I must be missing something, but I thought safari mode is top fully on but back window and quarter panels out. Sunrider is top back, but not fully down, with variations on windows in or out. Not sure how you do both at the same time.

From the manual
" The following options are available to you when lowering your vehicle’s soft top:
Sunrider® position with rear and quarter windows installed
Sunrider® position with rear window installed and quarter panels removed
Fully lowered position with rear and quarter windows removed
Both quarter windows should be removed and installed together."

All windows need to be out if putting top fully down.
Here is a pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks jeep.PNG

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
I bought a couple things that have have made life with a soft-top better. I think they are good additions for anyone with a soft top and should come with the Wrangler in my opinion

First I bought a bag for the windows from https://bjdcustoms.com/. I can hang it on the wall or from the headrests behind the front seat.

Next I bought a Smittybilt soft top boot https://www.smittybilt.com/softtopstorage#prettyPhoto It hold the top down nice and stops it from flapping around.

Both are simple to install and remove. We run with the top down and doors off as much as possible. Next is a security cover for the storage area so I can park the jeep and keep gear secure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3313
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3314
Mirror is dirty but you get an idea of how well it cleans up the line of sight
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3315
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3316
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3317
Random picture of our Rubicon re-named
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3318

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Lovers Club- Tips and Tricks IMG_3318
That's the second bullet from what I quoted from the manual:

That is safe, assuming you have cargo secured so it doesn't fly out. ;)