Sponsored

soft top locks?

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
What are the soft lock hinge locks supposed to lock and unlock?

My top goes up and down whether both levers are in the lock or unlock position... and top be clear I’m refer to the two that are attached to roll bar in rear.
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Mine locks the top, sounds like yours are missing a part of some sort.
I cant put the top down with them in locked position, and I cant put it up with them in locked position.
I would bring it in, at highway speed you could turn into a sailboat lol, and rip the top right off

JHowell74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Do both locks click when the top is laying down and you push on it to lock them in place? Only one of mine does and my top rattles loke crazy over rough road...wondering if they are connected?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
yeah, both sides of mine click locked, I get no rattle on rough roads, or at all, its pretty solid

OP
OP

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Thanks fellas... didn’t realize you needed to push firmly down on each arm to get a click.

Just did this and both clicked and engaged the lock, would be nice if this stuff was published somewhere. Don’t recall seeing this in manual!

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I feel like mine could have definitely been pushed down further before the locks engage. Mine moves a bit over bumps when I feel like it wouldn’t if there was more back pressure after the locks engaged.

One of my small complaints after 2 weeks of ownership.

OP
OP

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Does it click when locking it in up position as well?

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I wish someone would post a good video about this "click". I think people do not push it down far enough or something because mine locks - there is just a ton of play. The only way I get it to not bounce a lot or restrict my vision is to really tuck one of the folds under the header piece. It will still bounce but at least I can see out my rear view.

I was also able to get it further down into the well of the back after I realized Jeep messed up and put the hard top connection storage clip right in the way of where the soft top fits down into the back.

this is all I do - but people talked about this "click".

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Mjclay

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Crystal Granite
I have never been able to get my top to click and lock. Also if I lock it I can still lift the top up!

Sponsored

OP
OP

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
I have never been able to get my top to click and lock. Also if I lock it I can still lift the top up!
Exact problem I had.

Pull down on each arm firmly. I got both to click and top Will Not go up now while locked.

Last edited:

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I’m a rookie to this, but mine seems to lock ok. The only clicking sound is when I move the lever to lock position. There is still play in the top, but it cannot be lifted more than 3” without unlocking the lever. I guess that is Jeep’s version of locked in place? I’ve seen another post where the owner used 2 tie downs to secure the top in tight bundle.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have a 2 door and just installed this top a few days ago. I had known about the click because I watched multiple videos. But mine does not click, i pushed that sucker as far as it would go... no click! The locks are on , i get on the highway the top starts to rise pretty high blocking vision altogether. I pull over. Thank god I had a bungee. Wrapped it around the top and to the rear window bar. So I guess the locks are defective! Also when the locks are on they do not restrict the top from rising to its full up position... I made sure to not have it in lock because I had read a few people did that and broke the arms. But as I said It does not matter locked or unlocked! The locks are useless. So Ill continue to use the bungee!

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does not click into the lock position when I let the top down either. I have 2 long pieces of velcro and wrap around the folded down top and the back window bottom bar. It pulls the top down below the brake light. After riding around a little, the locking mechanism locks. Don't ask me why? But when I go to put the top up, it is locked down and I have to unlock it to get it to come up.

When the top is down, my frame rattles where the top frame roller sits in the upper U track. I also use narrow strips of velcro to strap it tight. We will almost always keep the top down now that it has finally warmed up. We got a Rain Gear Half Cover which has allowed us to not have to put the top up and down all the time.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I was sitting here wondering if my re inserting back window bar is somehow obstructing the top from lowering to the point it needs to be in order for it to lock/click? gonna have to play around with it. It really is no big deal as I can easily put the velcro around it to the window bar ... but I am one of "those" people who has to know why it is not working the way intended! thanks for the info Brad :fist bump:
Sponsored