Soft Top locking Mechanism

jtp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S unlimited
I've been using my soft top for the last month up and down always locking and unlocking the safety lock. Today I tried to unlock both sides and neither side will budge out of the lock position. I raised the roof a couple of inches hoping the locking mechanism would jiggle free. Anyone else experience this before I go to the dealership tomorrow.
Sponsored

Cuda318

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2024 Willys
Somewhat related but does the mechanism on both sides lock the top in the sun-rider position? You have to check this with the windows off. I notice that the passenger side locks but not the driver's side. I suspect I have a faulty locking mechanism on the driver's side.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I've been using my soft top for the last month up and down always locking and unlocking the safety lock. Today I tried to unlock both sides and neither side will budge out of the lock position. I raised the roof a couple of inches hoping the locking mechanism would jiggle free. Anyone else experience this before I go to the dealership tomorrow.
Now that you have not only the classic right answer here, but it worked, allow me to offer (satire) alternative so you don't even find yourself in need of this trick in the future.;)

I've found that incorporating the designs of this video into my JL prevents the soft top's locks from freezing in their locked position like you report:

Your welcome.

Sponsored

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I have a quick question regarding the locking mechanism...

Sometimes the top will lock with no issue, but then lately, randomly one side will lock with no issue, but the other will not lock at all.
I am pressing down the top just as far, if not further down-
The locking switch on the side that won't lock is loose and just flops..
Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a quick clip of it, but im unable to upload it to the forum...

I am new to the JL world after 2 JK's..
Just wondering if i missing something?

Thank you for your help..

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I have a quick question regarding the locking mechanism...

Sometimes the top will lock with no issue, but then lately, randomly one side will lock with no issue, but the other will not lock at all.
I am pressing down the top just as far, if not further down-
The locking switch on the side that won't lock is loose and just flops..
Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a quick clip of it, but im unable to upload it to the forum...

I am new to the JL world after 2 JK's..
Just wondering if i missing something?

Thank you for your help..

That's not right. Sounds like yours is broken, should be covered by warranty.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Somewhat related but does the mechanism on both sides lock the top in the sun-rider position? You have to check this with the windows off. I notice that the passenger side locks but not the driver's side. I suspect I have a faulty locking mechanism on the driver's side.
@Cuda318 I realize this Is necro bumping a 2 year old thread, but did you or anyone else ever figure this out? I was futzing around with my soft top last night on my 2020 recon and noticed this as well. In sunrider position the passenger side is fully locked whereas the driver’s side has a pinch of play in it if i pulled down (as if to try and fold the top down without pulling the lever in the rear). Doesn’t affect anything, just curious as it seems both sides have the cable that connects to the lever.
Sponsored