Jeep Soft-Top Break-Ins?

• Total voters

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Not saying it's a bad question - any vehicle with a soft top is obviously easier to get into without making noise by breaking a window.

I would think that if there isn't anything in plain view in the back then a person wouldn't bother, but I could be wrong. Even if a person were to cut the top or somehow get the windows out, climbing into the front to search glovebox or console would be quite the feat!
Trust me.. in major cities like Chicago getting to your glove box could be a Olympic sport. They have no issues doing it and they are fast and agile. As far as getting the windows out? The JL windows are lot easier to remove, no zipping, just slide them out. Not just for entry but to steal. I predict stolen soft top windows and tops will be common in large cities.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
"You thought you'd be safe parking in this neighborhood overnight?" -PhiladelphiaPD

Leave it unlocked. Soft top is a hassle to replace, contents are easy.

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Thanks for all the replies! So I fully INTEND to never leave valuables in-sight (or even hidden), I did recently forget to take my phone with me at the store, and so there it sat, right in the cup holder in plain view (iPhone 6, so not the hottest phone around anymore but still). Viper, I hear you on Chicago, and I'm not ever taking it downtown where I'd have to park/leave it, over my dead body anyway, I do have another car if I must do something for work. Ralph its not that I was "that worried" about security, rather I had no idea how concerned to be. Kind of mixed results on the poll, 10 plus years, no breakins all the way to Viper's multiple breakins (in Chicago area where I am no less - western suburb(Kane Co) by the way yikes). Thanks for the stories, I'll just have to see how it goes.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies! So I fully INTEND to never leave valuables in-sight (or even hidden), I did recently forget to take my phone with me at the store, and so there it sat, right in the cup holder in plain view (iPhone 6, so not the hottest phone around anymore but still). Viper, I hear you on Chicago, and I'm not ever taking it downtown where I'd have to park/leave it, over my dead body anyway, I do have another car if I must do something for work. Ralph its not that I was "that worried" about security, rather I had no idea how concerned to be. Kind of mixed results on the poll, 10 plus years, no breakins all the way to Viper's multiple breakins (in Chicago area where I am no less - western suburb(Kane Co) by the way yikes). Thanks for the stories, I'll just have to see how it goes.
I am betting anyone with 10 plus years without break-ins live in smaller communities. Definitely not larger metropolitan cities like Chicago. A few years back a friend, who happens to be a cop, got her hood stolen off her JK. For what is worth, Kane County is a LOT better then Cook County crime wise. It sucks there are low life thieves but it's better to know and be somewhat ready. Good luck.

OP…Don't stress, enjoy your JL. I really think you will not have much of a issue in Kane Co with the exception of some parts of Aurora and some of the shopping mall parking lots. A hour away in Chicago and Cook Co is a different animal. In larger Cities crime is a reality, just be aware of your surroundings.

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I am betting anyone with 10 plus years without break-ins live in smaller communities. Definitely not larger metropolitan cities like Chicago. A few years back a friend, who happens to be a cop, got her hood stolen off her JK. For what is worth, Kane County is a LOT better then Cook County crime wise. It sucks there are low life thieves but it's better to know and be somewhat ready. Good luck.
Holy crap man. I'm glad I live in the farm country. We only have like 1100 people here and are only a village. My daughter's graduating class (this year in May) is a grand total of 58 kids!

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
New to Jeeps so I am wondering how un-secure or a target a soft-top really is. Of course I intend to never have anything worth stealing in plain view and all that but I just wonder what to expect, how big of a problem it really is. I appreciate the experience everyone here has with Jeeps so I'd like to know your thoughts.
Thanks.
I have been a soft top wrangler owner for ten years now and have never had any issues with break ins, mainly I guess is that I never really lock it or keep anything of value in it. I would rather have someone open the door to rummage through it than cut the top as well. In warmer months, more often than not I do not have doors and/or windows on it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy crap man. I'm glad I live in the farm country. We only have like 1100 people here and are only a village. My daughter's graduating class (this year in May) is a grand total of 58 kids!
I attended a friend's son's suburban high school graduation last year. I think there were over 500 kids in the graduating class. The ceremony was held at a stadium. The larger high schools in Chicago have over 4000 students so about a 1000 students per grade. About the same as your entire Village. lol.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Owned my softop JK for 3.5 years, never broken into. I often had the top and doors off, and I never locked it or left anything inside it. I'm pretty sure someone sat in it when it was parked at the airport for a week with no top/doors lol! I came back and the seat had been adjusted!

I also know of 3 people personally that have had there cars stolen because they left the keys in them :facepalm:

And I think it depends a lot on your area - I live in Tampa bay but wasn't parking in bad areas like downtown Tampa or St. Pete.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Holy crap you guys get internet?! j/k :CWL:

i live in the suburbs. i never leave anything in it i would miss and often done even lock the doors. im more concerned with finding parts missing then anything inside lol. i want to get trail doors this year but am concerned about someone taking them. i may run chain link with padlocks through them when i park it at the local mall. peewee herman style.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
On my last jeep I always left it open with NOTHING in it, maybe a random fast food napkin in the console or a few cents change in the tray.

Over the years it was definitely gone through a couple times, but no damage to top or interior nor loss more than maybe a buck in change. I think someone may have even slept in it at the airport. Came back from a trip and back window was unzipped. Found a stocking cap back there, probably cost more than than the change they made off with.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I owned a soft top TJ in SoCal and never had it broken into. I did leave the roof off once and a cat pissed in the back seat. That was HARD to get out. Got a hard top two weeks later and I never once removed it.
In fact, other that removing the freedom panels once or twice, I never took the top off on my JK either. On my JL I only removed them to ensure the gaskets were in order.
I am in the minority that would LOVE to see a wrangler without a removable top that could accept a roof rack and tent like a defender. Pretty sure when I take it places like North Africa, the last thing I am going to do is remove the top ;)

The only time I had a car broken into was in rural Washington and that was a 1979 Honda Civic with a massive 1200cc engine.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
If they want in, it's not hard to get in regardless of top, locked or not. Last year they busted a theft ring in San Diego responsible for 150 Jeep Wrangler thefts that started with the thief opening the hood and disabling the horn. Lots of articles on the internet about how they did it but sounded just like a Gone In 60 Seconds movie. I have since added locking hood latches since opening the hood does not trigger the alarm.

While no vehicle is truly theft proof, just keep valuables out of sight and make it more difficult than the next car, about all you can do. I also highly recommend the GPCA cargo area cover to keep things in back hidden.

IMG_0613 1.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
If they want in, it's not hard to get in regardless of top, locked or not. Last year they busted a theft ring in San Diego responsible for 150 Jeep Wrangler thefts that started with the thief opening the hood and disabling the horn.
I few years back when I was living in San Clemente, I got pulled over. The cop just wanted to tell me to make sure to cover up the VIN under the window with electrical tape because their is Armenian gang who was using the VIN to get a key made and they just drive off with your Jeep.
Apparently Wranglers were being stolen like crazy.
Mine was parked in a garage both at home and at work.
I would only worry about someone stealing it, not breaking in.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
One other point...
If your Wrangler has proximity locks like mine, DO NOT keep yours keys close to the exterior walls or doors. It is an extremely easy hack to use a bi-directional amp and antenna setup to relay between your Wrangler and the key to gain entry and even start it up to load on a trailer.
The best is to keep them in a metal box.
In the latest tests, only Merc seemed to be immune from this method.

Fdcjames

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
I’ve never had any vehicle broken into, but I live in a pretty quiet community. Overnight it’s in my attached garage but out and about I never even lock my doors. I don’t leave anything in it but car seats and if they want the whole vehicle that would suck, but I’ve got it insured so it is what it is. My motorcycles are the same way. You could push the start button and ride it away, or take an expensive collection of gear out of the bags but nobody’s touched them in the 8 years I’ve had bikes. I will caveat that though with a friends tj had the doors stolen twice at the same movie theater when he was on dates, and a spare tire taken at his apartment complex. If they want something they’ll take it.
Sponsored