vdellanno

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry you don't like it, but it seems you are way in the minority. There's a recent thread with pages of us who love the soft top. Safari looks a little weird, but it's super practical as I can have an open air setup when it's just too hot to have the sun beating down on me. It takes me seconds to take my windows out and about 2 minutes to put them in now that I've done it a few times. You can always go sunrider if you don't want the windows out. That takes 5 seconds.
Sorry you don't like it, but it seems you are way in the minority. There's a recent thread with pages of us who love the soft top. Safari looks a little weird, but it's super practical as I can have an open air setup when it's just too hot to have the sun beating down on me. It takes me seconds to take my windows out and about 2 minutes to put them in now that I've done it a few times. You can always go sunrider if you don't want the windows out. That takes 5 seconds.
The only challenge I have with the JL soft top is the windows. I love how they come off easily and go back on easily. I've got some minor complaints about how much the top tucks in when folded down. But, I live in a place where the weather changes every hour and if I am out with the dogs in the back there is no place to store those things easily in the cab when you take them off. You can't roll them up. You can't easily fit them in the back. I think I'd trade off some convenience for more usability. As much as I hate to say it, I think I am missing the zippers.
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The fire extinguisher is for when yours catches fire.
Some Clubs, trail ride events require a fire extinguisher.
Just throw one in there just before the event. Otherwise it’s just more shit to get stolen when the top is down.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The only challenge I have with the JL soft top is the windows. I love how they come off easily and go back on easily. I've got some minor complaints about how much the top tucks in when folded down. But, I live in a place where the weather changes every hour and if I am out with the dogs in the back there is no place to store those things easily in the cab when you take them off. You can't roll them up. You can't easily fit them in the back. I think I'd trade off some convenience for more usability. As much as I hate to say it, I think I am missing the zippers.
I had the premium top on my JK and it never folded flat like the cheap tops did. I had to strap everything down and it still stuck up over the brake light. To me the zippers themselves weren’t a big deal. Getting them started sucked (especially the back), but the new top sucks threading the windows rails onto the rods. Window removal between the JK and JL is really a wash time wise.
I do like the safari look and the one handle drop down operation. That’s pretty slick.

I don’t get why the sunrider feature doesn’t lock. Locking the top down only locks down the back half the top. The sunrider top still flops with every bump.
Given that the windows don’t roll up anymore, I have no idea why they don’t just give up on those outta date vinyl windows and go with glass.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
As long as it is barely sprinkling, I always drive with top down. Especially on the commute home.
I could see a squal line and the Jeep would meet in less than a mile on the freeway. I waiting a bit... and then pressed the top up button.

If it was purely a looks issue, I would never use any top. Unfortunately, I live Kansas where the weather is inhospitable.

The Sky One-Touch Power Top is the most functional top and option I have ever had.

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
I love my soft top it is so easy to remove the windows and drop the top in about 2 minutes, and closing back up and threading the windows rails back on to the the rods is easy...I've never had a jeep before this nor have I dealt with zippered windows. My complaints are how damn easy the vinyl windows scratch, and that the window storage bag doesn't fit properly in the back of the JL.

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how Jeep could make it more flush without totally compromising the cargo area, but I've never liked that about soft top convertibles (not just the Jeep).
They could have done it. I had a JK with an aftermarket Bestop Trektop NX Glide and it was pretty flush. Had they done it, they might have been able to do away with the stupid locking joints.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
They could have done it. I had a JK with an aftermarket Bestop Trektop NX Glide and it was pretty flush. Had they done it, they might have been able to do away with the stupid locking joints.
Anybody know when trektop nx glide is coming out for the jl?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
A76005FE-8963-49D8-91F2-8BAA2AA51428.jpeg
Another thing I discovered is that my fire extinguisher cannot fit on the roll bar with the soft top. Now I have to find another place for it.

I just put mine here: Pic ain’t great, but it’s just under the left side of the driver’s seat, facing forward, ready to go.
Likely exactly where I’ll be if/when I need it.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I know this is no comparison. But I had a Soft Top on my TJ and sword I'd never own another Jeep with a soft top again. Yes they are nice and dandy the first few years of ownership, but after a while those plastic windows go to crap and will get tiny scratches all over just from wind and particles hitting it. They get ugly to see out off, will loosen over time, flap, etc. etc. Everyone says the new JL soft top is so quiet, yada yada. Ya its brand new material, nicely tight and fitted. Give it 2-3 years.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I know this is no comparison. But I had a Soft Top on my TJ and sword I'd never own another Jeep with a soft top again. Yes they are nice and dandy the first few years of ownership, but after a while those plastic windows go to crap and will get tiny scratches all over just from wind and particles hitting it. They get ugly to see out off, will loosen over time, flap, etc. etc. Everyone says the new JL soft top is so quiet, yada yada. Ya its brand new material, nicely tight and fitted. Give it 2-3 years.
Had the same experience with my YJ. Looking back I should have just bought another soft top when the factory top got trashed and moved on. Would have cost the about the same as the hard top upgrade.

Sponsored

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
The JL soft top is the best wrangler soft top ever. Whether it works better than a hardtop for you or your situation is another story.

I love the soft top because I can drive to work on a rainy morning with my top up, and if the weather clears, drive home with the top down. With a hardtop it’s all or nothing. You can take the top off, but you can’t take it with you while it’s removed.

Plus you can remove the entire soft top and store it if you don’t want it folded on back. You can even remove the support pieces if you don’t want them on while the soft top is off and be in the same configuration as a removed hardtop.

I can see the value in a hardtop, but it’s not for me and my situation. If it’s the best option for you, then that’s what you go with.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
put the soft top on today.. gee whiz what a pain in the butt.
But we got it done. I’m not sure if I like it. I am impressed how quiet it is with it on.
The soft top rails just look weird when the top is thrown back. And I don’t like that the windows have to be undone to throw it back. I suppose you get used to it and it should only take a minute to do. I’m going to give it a few weeks and see if I like it. If not then it will go up for sale.
The naked look is much better. But what do you do if it rains? Get one of those throw on covers?
I wish I was located in a climate where it doesn’t rain much but not so here.
I feel your pain... I do live a better then normal weather pattern in both Western NC and West coast of FL.... So I ordered JLR 2 door and my only top option was hard or black soft top which I wanted Tan but removed from purchase. So I have had 4 Jeeps with old style zipper soft tops and I said... No soft top will have hard top on in winter and remove the Freedom panels on good days. In early May took the hard top off and have the spiderwebshade for JL 2 door LONG and if it rains can make it to shelter or home if I drive fast... The whole family loves the near naked ride.

For the record, remember I feel your pain, well I have a buddy and helped him remove his JLRU hard top and installed his soft top on... As winter comes he plans to put the hard top back on. He is a weekend Jeeper and I'm a everyday Jeepers except in down pours are forecast.

Enjoy your Jeep.

50IMG_1523.jpg

Disclaimer... shade is the short one and replaced for long shade which comes down to past headrest.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So I am about to order my JL, never had a soft trip but found I have my hard top off on my jk as much as possible and I live in fear of a rain storm lol even though I live in socal..

2 questions
Can you leave a sunshade on and put the top up and down with out taking it off?

I saw in a video that getting into the trunk is awkward because you have to put out the back window, can anyone give me feedback on how impractical that is in real life? I have 2 kids and when not wheeling my Jeep twice a month it kid taxi, with sports gear, beach supplies, bikes, scooters, etc coming in and out of it several times a day..

Thanks guys
Sponsored